SMH: 'Police to hunt for missing [MQ] uni funds' (2 Viewers)

nikmueller

HSC
(Nic, if you ever want to give us a 'donation' - say a few 100k- remember we are always here :p).
well obviously. a good start could be a giant MQ online forum run by students for students. reality of the role as student rep is that i have no power. i just keep the students informed on uni goins on and keep uni informed of what they are doing wrong/right. sorry ladies, no supreme god-like power here.

also, if anyone wants to help me out here i am looking for any explanation as to how victor got voted in again. found out that i got 35% of the votes, about 775 ppl, and he got the rest.

that means there are about 1,300 ppl out there who want what victor was offering. obviously some people were victor's friends. Most i assume were not. i'd like to know how i can represent them.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
nikmueller said:
well obviously. a good start could be a giant MQ online forum run by students for students. reality of the role as student rep is that i have no power. i just keep the students informed on uni goins on and keep uni informed of what they are doing wrong/right. sorry ladies, no supreme god-like power here.

also, if anyone wants to help me out here i am looking for any explanation as to how victor got voted in again. found out that i got 35% of the votes, about 775 ppl, and he got the rest.

that means there are about 1,300 ppl out there who want what victor was offering. obviously some people were victor's friends. Most i assume were not. i'd like to know how i can represent them.
Quite easy.

Learn mandarin. Stroke people's hair. Talk really loud. You know the drill.

X

xeuyrawp

nikmueller said:

Noone ever listens to me. How many times did I tell you to take your top off? Also, everyone secretly hates the environment, white people, and people who wear fisherman pants.

Seriously, though, I'm sure Victor was doing some lying and manipulating. There is also the most fundamental human instinct at play here; authority. The infamous Milgram experiment and its progeny confirmed that most people will kill if they are told to do so by a figure of authority. This is because we are programmed to do what our parents, teachers, mentors, etc etc tell us - otherwise we're (as Dawkins says) wandering off cliffs and patting nasty animals.

Add to this the fact that Ma holds more authority because those to whom he's familiar (Asians) are outside of their little safe zone. Outside of your safe zone, you really need a familiar leader -- it happens naturally, usually. I'll also mention, again, that Asians are hopeless when it comes to politics. Sociologists have field days going into East Asia and studying how they relate with each other and society (hopelessly).

Because Ma is the only familiar representative, and because he tells Asians to vote for him, they will. I guarantee you that very few Anglo students voted for him.

The flip to this coin is, as I said above, the fact that local students are lazy and don't give a shit. Anyone who disagrees can argue with the results of this election. :p

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
nikmueller said:
But was he offering anything? As mentioned above he offered familiarity to foreigners and that's about it from what I can see.

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
AsyLum said:
Not a kid.
30 year old.
Married.
Graduated with Masters in something from some Melbourne Uni.
rofl.
I was always under the impression he was a mac student for some reason..??

X

xeuyrawp

iambored said:
But was he offering anything? As mentioned above he offered familiarity to foreigners and that's about it from what I can see.
omfg. Seriously... *bangs head on desk*

iambored said:
I was always under the impression he was a mac student for some reason..??
You can be a 30 year old with a masters and still be enrolled in a Macquarie degree...

HSC
N/A
Same here. There seemed to be no other logical explaination for why an old asian man was still hanging around a uni campus.

Nick - that forum thing has actually be tossed up in the past. We showed Sandie the MQ bos forums and everything ;) I guess making it a reality is another matter though.

I am totally, TOTALLY up for daytime activities, like non-alcoholic Lawn Trivia or as Sandie suggested today, a kind of open forum (somewhere...). Mac has stacks of green grass, surely we can put it to some sort of use, get some more bonding/community spirit happening. Presumably, 'community voice' and better communication in general should follow.

EDIT: I've been assuming Victor Ma has been working "full time" on all the councils though. How could he be working on a masters or something - even part time - if he's been here for so long? (mind you, I know peanuts about masters and phd's, so feel free to enlighten me)

Last edited:
X

xeuyrawp

glitterfairy said:
Same here. There seemed to be no other logical explaination for why an old asian man was still hanging around a uni campus.
You could say that he's a mature age student! :p

I believe that he stuck himself in a state of parttime-undergrad-hons-concurrent-etc so he could be counted as an undergrad. I'm sure someone can give the specifics.

X

xeuyrawp

Cyan_phoeniX said:
Lol. Hopefully Sandie just saw this section and not the NS section!! :p

In the past years, I tell me mentees about this forum (although nobody seems to register :/).
Yeah, I've included it on all the little business cards I give out.

I think we might scare them away? :santa:

HSC
N/A
PwarYuex said:
You could say that he's a mature age student! :p

I believe that he stuck himself in a state of parttime-undergrad-hons-concurrent-etc so he could be counted as an undergrad. I'm sure someone can give the specifics.
That's so shifty.

Don't they kick you out after 7 years now, though? Hmm... how long has Ma been here again? Maybe he was due to get kicked out soon anyway...

X

xeuyrawp

glitterfairy said:
That's so shifty.

Don't they kick you out after 7 years now, though? Hmm... how long has Ma been here again? Maybe he was due to get kicked out soon anyway...
Why would they kick you out? I could do an infinite amount of undergrad degrees in sucession.

I think you're thinking about the 9 years (or whatever it is) of full time UG HECS funding -- after that period, you've got to pay DFEE.

HSC
N/A
ahhh yeah that'd be it. So, if he continued doing undergrad degrees (graduate, pick up another one, graduate, pick up another one etc) he could stay here indefinately?

I wonder if that was a reason for increasing the wages of all his staff (presumably including him). That's a hell of a lot of HECS/uni fees to pay off :p

X

xeuyrawp

This message is sent and authorised by Paul Bowler, Deputy Vice-Chancellor and Chief Operating Officer

Dear Staff and Students

The Federal Court yesterday ordered that Macquarie University Union Ltd (MUUL), which traded as Students At Macquarie (SAM), and Venues At Macquarie would be wound up.

All monies previously transferred by directors out of the companies’ bank accounts into a lawyer’s trust account - as reported in the statement http://www.pr.mq.edu.au/events/archive.asp?ItemID=2914 - have now been returned to the courts.

Earlier this week the Supreme Court ordered that the Macquarie University Students Council (MUSC) be wound up as it was no longer viable once the funds had been returned to Venues At Macquarie.

Despite the finalisation of these entities at the University, it is business as usual for the commercial operations of Venues At Macquarie.

The winding up of these bodies paves the way for the establishment of the proposed new student organisation which will be managed by the University to ensure its operations are transparent and accountable. This organisation will be funded partly by membership of the student union and partly by the University and will properly represent the needs of students.

The board for this organisation is currently being established under a new legal entity, and there will be significant student representation. All board positions will be unpaid.

Postgraduate students at Macquarie will continue to be represented by the Macquarie University Postgraduate Representative Association (MUPRA), which is run by student volunteers. The University offers its appreciation for MUPRA’s continued support of the postgraduate student body, and emphasises that neither it nor Macquarie University Sport and Recreation (MUSR) have in any way been associated with any of the questionable activities that have been the subject of recent court proceedings.

Paul Bowler

Deputy Vice-Chancellor and Chief Operating Officer

X

xeuyrawp

I'm so confused...

The Federal Court yesterday ordered that SAM be wound up.

Doesn't that mean that SAM will be put into liquidation and killed as a business entity?

ALLLICE

HSC
*sells SAM card on ebay before everyone realises it's dying*

nikmueller

HSC
i wonder what will happen to the >$300,000 when it is back in the hands of the university. some of that must be students money which should be used by students.

meeting of students at 12pm tuesday 29th may, on the grassy courtyard outside the library, near C5C.

it'll be a place where we can sort out the truth from the rumours and decide what we want to make our student body for the future macq students. i'd really appreciate it if you come and tell anyone who might be interested.

student reps attending will be ex-sam board member phil betts, academic senators tim and kegs and me as representative on university council.

we fill people in on what is going on, then you tell us what you want from the new student body.

if you want to have a say but can't cme, email me nicholas.mueller@students.mq.edu.au

X

xeuyrawp

nikmueller said:
i wonder what will happen to the >$300,000 when it is back in the hands of the university. some of that must be students money which should be used by students.

meeting of students at 12pm tuesday 29th may, on the grassy courtyard outside the library, near C5C.

it'll be a place where we can sort out the truth from the rumours and decide what we want to make our student body for the future macq students. i'd really appreciate it if you come and tell anyone who might be interested.

student reps attending will be ex-sam board member phil betts, academic senators tim and kegs and me as representative on university council.

we fill people in on what is going on, then you tell us what you want from the new student body.

if you want to have a say but can't cme, email me nicholas.mueller@students.mq.edu.au
Could you just clarify for us (maybe just me?) what's happening with SAM?

The email above implies that SAM will be closing down -- is this only with relation to the already-forecasted SAM-MUSC-MUSA blending, or is it serious?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)