SMH: The top HSC schools (1 Viewer)

L

LaraB

seremify007 said:
Wow we came 2nd.
don't be so surprised baulko people!

i mean - my grade - grade above you - we were meant to be "the dumb year" and we were 3rd so you should be 2nd! coz unfortunately baulko is still yet to beat ruse lol:p

you guys got about 6-10 more who'll get premiers and about half a dozen or so more on top achiever list which is where you should be:)

Last edited by a moderator:
L

LaraB

Smart_Dunce said:
Look at the huge gap between 1st and 2nd. (Looking at the telegraph's list of top schools) about 15% in terms of distinguished achievers
Horray for STHS for coming 26th. But that was a slip from the top 20.

Who got the perfect uai of 100? Are they all James Rusers?
no they ain't - there were people on the news this morning who gots 100's on teh radio and they weren't all ruses...

its never all ruse kids...

nit

HSC
There are apparently roughly 5 Ruse 100's this year, I think, leaving quite a few for other schools, like SGS. Especially compared to Ruse's 8 100's last year.

supergirl

HSC
glycerine said:
hahahaha getting a little defensive are we sharne?

well my school beat your school la la la la la

mostly i'm just glad that we beat manly so i didn't have to listen to mum go on about it this year
god yes i could not stand that. in fact, it was one of the first things i checked when i looked at the schools list. ugh. even PENRITH beat them... :rolleyes:

RyddeckerSMP

Go The Knights!
HSC
Smart_Dunce said:
Who got the perfect uai of 100? Are they all James Rusers?
Baulko has at least two...... but that's all i know of so far, i would not be surprised if there was more.

HSC
N/A
Baulko might be 2nd here, but they're third according to Telegraph. (where Baulko and HGHS switch places)

Whichever way you look at it, Baulko has been quite literally on HGHS's tails over the last few years, particularly in the last two (including this year). Sometimes I wonder whether that's why they work so hard... it's not about "let's do well!", it's about "omg! Hornsby pride! We CAN'T let Baulko beat us!"

That being said Baulko beat Hornsby in the English merit list this year... and english is one of our strengths. They must have worked really hard for that, and congratulations to them - they earnt it :)

RyddeckerSMP

Go The Knights!
HSC
I think catching Ruse (who we play sport against/know heaps of people that go there) is more why we want to do better :)

drynxz

I..solated..ated..ated
HSC
will there be like a more comprehensive ranking list...like last year they went to the top 120 schools along with their DA rate....and this year its just a column of the top 50...

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Haha I think the Baulko vs. Ruse pride is the thing which runs deep within our blood... But then by the same token, I'm just happy that I got a UAI which should be able to get me into the course I want.

HSC
N/A
drynxz said:
will there be like a more comprehensive ranking list...like last year they went to the top 120 schools along with their DA rate....and this year its just a column of the top 50...
See the Daily Telegraph list, also posted in this forum.

seremify007 said:
Haha I think the Baulko vs. Ruse pride is the thing which runs deep within our blood... But then by the same token, I'm just happy that I got a UAI which should be able to get me into the course I want.
Mmm, I *knew* there was a good reason Hornsby is situated far from Carlingford ;) It's a bit like why Macquarie Uni is placed so far away from USYD, UNSW, UTS etc... ah, don't get me started on Uni pride! haha!

But yeah, provided you get the uai that can get you where you want, then that's the REAL achievement :) After this, no-one will ever ask you for your UAI ever again. And getting where you want to go is the most important goal of all, regardless of how you actually get there :)

HSC
N/A
seremify007 said:
LOL @ Macq uni analogy.
I'm serious!

It's actually written in our uni diary somewhere. And of course, our location is for a good reason. It's something like this:

"_______ remarked that Macquarie's location so far away from all the other major universities was to ensure that at least one university would be safe in case a meteorite crashed into Sydney and destroyed the other universities!"

^ See? We're good for something ;)

HSC
seremify007 said:
Are those 2 schools competitive for sport too? I go to muirfield, so im in the same comp as you...

RyddeckerSMP

Go The Knights!
HSC
chocolate_lover said:
Are those 2 schools competitive for sport too? I go to muirfield, so im in the same comp as you...
It's pretty much the biggest game in the grade sport season.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
glitterfairy said:
I'm serious!

It's actually written in our uni diary somewhere. And of course, our location is for a good reason. It's something like this:

"_______ remarked that Macquarie's location so far away from all the other major universities was to ensure that at least one university would be safe in case a meteorite crashed into Sydney and destroyed the other universities!"

^ See? We're good for something ;)
Haha... fair enough. Macquarie Uni isn't that bad from what I've heard, but then, whilst it's kinda near where I live, it's pretty hard to get to from where I will be working which is why it isn't at the top of my preference list.

I think it's kinda odd that the top two schools are quite near each other (Baulkham Hills -> North Rocks -> Carlingford).

chocolate_lover said:
I'm not very into sport but it does feel good when we know we beat Ruse^^

tommytenfingers

Nobody is saying PHS is a bad school. Just that contributions had to be made to certain authorities so that they could get into the top 25. Word is that the vice principal was caught out in the web of corruption and was forced to leave. I personally don't believe this to be true, but i mean come on. PENRITH?

HSC
N/A
^ Wouldn't that imply that certain HSC results were... well, "inflated"/altered? Sounds too troublesome for me...

supergirl

HSC
tommytenfingers said:
Nobody is saying PHS is a bad school. Just that contributions had to be made to certain authorities so that they could get into the top 25. Word is that the vice principal was caught out in the web of corruption and was forced to leave. I personally don't believe this to be true, but i mean come on. PENRITH?
I note that you aren't even saying what school you go to. At least give me some fuel for the fire!
Either way, nothing you say can take away from our achievement - we earned this fair and square and I am ridiculously excited for our school.

bustinjustin

HSC
Firehose and boasboy, aka Richard and Nathan:

'Tech Pride' has compelled me to post this in light of the disparaging representation of Sydney Tech's HSC performance. We also realise that many people consider Sydney Tech one of 'the runts' of the Selective School heirarchy (Source: a shifty St. Georgian) and often don't know and don't care about who we are (despite the fact that we were one of 7 'foundation' schools to remain selective under the recommendations of the Vinson report - not even Ruse would remain open as a selective school), thus I feel that it is my perogative to 'embellish' the image conveyed by our 'abysmal' ranking with the following:

Keep in mind that this year, the Herald decided to adopt the Telegraph's formula when it produced its 'league table'. Under the Herald's old formula, which was to rank schools by the number of honour roll mentions, we ONLY fell five places to 19th, and we were ranked 25 under the Telegraph formula last year, so we didn't do awfully considering we had a higher-than-normal proportion of what some may call 'deadwood', or 'Joseph' (disclaimer: not his real name)

Though it seems that our grade's performance as a whole has resulted in our school's relegation to '26th', there are several factors that we have to consider when measuring our 'success' or lack thereof before we jump to the conclusion that our Tech Class of 05 was crap:

1. We are the first grade in 14 years that can boast a UAI/TER of 100 (one of us anyway)

2. Two of our students topped the state in Economics this year and in Engineering Studies in 2004, and we also dominate the state rankings, with only the likes of Ruse and Baulko and St George beating us in this arena (I counted, but don't trust my maths).

3. From early reports, it seems that our grade can also boast the most number of students with a UAI above 99, which is impressive considering the standard was set even higher this year by a reported increase in the number of 'top band' scores. We'll confirm this on Monday.

4. Our grade most probably produced the best ever English results for our school (36 according to the Herald, haven't bothered to compare it to past statistics but it's a beaut number for a traditionally maths/science focussed school) . We'll also confirm this on Monday, but Terence told me that Ms. D was ecstatic with our results.

So yeah. Tech Pride all the way!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)