Smoking a turn off? (1 Viewer)

ashie0

world
HSC
N/A
lol i bet a few of these little 09ers and 10ers will become 'social smokers' or even full time smokers in the near future - most likely once they turn 18.
every time i go out, people who a few months ago were like 'thats disgusting' ask me for 'durries'. eugh.

Stephie-Rae

HSC
I find smoking absolutely disguting, and yes, a definite turn off, i wouldn't date a guy that smokes, ever. a) i just find the general concept gross, and as a few people have said, the smell's disgusting, and smoking leaves the smell on your clothes and breath etc. and b) with all of the facts that have been proven regarding the health effects of smoking i think anyone around our age that smokes, whilst being perfectly aware of those things, is just a fucking idiot quite frankly, and idiocy is another large turn off.

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
I know all the effects health-wise...and I've seen most of the ads too, so don't come at me with all that, I know they contain a billion different chemicals - tar, rat poison, acetone etc.etc. But is that the whole reason that smoking is a turn-off?

P.S. I'm not addicted...yet, I have had quite a few over the last few months-weeks. Im just wondering what turns a girl off in a smoker.
I would have thought it was obvious!

* The smell (you smell, your clothes smell your stuff smells)
* Having to taste it when kissing
* The second hand smoke
* The having to stand outside in the cold to talk with you so you can smoke
* Having to sit, stand in smoking area
* Prospect partner will die from smoking related disease/cause health problems
* Cost, health care/for smokes

I'm sure there are more reasons but I can't think of them now, while some of these can be managed by a considerate smoker (i.e. not smoking inside or when in car etc) but a lot of it cannot be changed. I personally can't stand it.

I also hate young teens who think they are so cool because they smoke...its not kiddies/

OP a lot of social/casual smokers get addicted!

do you drink?
You can drink without hurting someone or adversly affecting health i.e. a responsible drinker. There is not such thing as passive drinking. (unless you are pregnant and thats your choice)

Last edited:

ashie0

world
HSC
N/A
I find smoking absolutely disguting, and yes, a definite turn off, i wouldn't date a guy that smokes, ever. a) i just find the general concept gross, and as a few people have said, the smell's disgusting, and smoking leaves the smell on your clothes and breath etc. and b) with all of the facts that have been proven regarding the health effects of smoking i think anyone around our age that smokes, whilst being perfectly aware of those things, is just a fucking idiot quite frankly, and idiocy is another large turn off.
do you drink?

ashie0

world
HSC
N/A
binge drinking is severely harmful to your health, you know this, everyone knows this, yet they still do it. Its fun and people like it, ditto smoking.

you might not binge drink but they're are thousands of other carcinogenic behaviors people engage in.

the morbidly obese lady at mcdonalds eating five large big mac meals can lecture me about smoking but i'm not allowed to comment on her health? double standard :)

Stephie-Rae

HSC
binge drinking is severely harmful to your health, you know this, everyone knows this, yet they still do it. Its fun and people like it, ditto smoking.

you might not binge drink but they're are thousands of other carcinogenic behaviors people engage in.

the morbidly obese lady at mcdonalds eating five large big mac meals can lecture me about smoking but i'm not allowed to comment on her health? double standard :)
I never said i binge drink and i never said binge drinking was healthy, i'm aware it causes damage to your health, hence the reason i don't do it. Yes 'everyone knows' that binge drinking is dangerous, but not everyone binge drinks, for the same reason that not everyone smokes. Similarly, i never said you can't lecture the morbidly obese lady about her health risks, i agree, that's also dangerous.

But the difference between smoking and drinking and eating McDonalds, is with the last 2, you can do so in moderation with limited health effects, and both are far less addictive than smoking. I can drink on occasion, and have the occassional big mac, and as long as i balance other aspects of my health, it won't effect me. However, its been proven that just by having an occassional cigarette, you increase your chances of obtaining a number of diseases, "every cigarette is doing you damage".

ashie0

world
HSC
N/A
I never said i binge drink and i never said binge drinking was healthy, i'm aware it causes damage to your health, hence the reason i don't do it. Yes 'everyone knows' that binge drinking is dangerous, but not everyone binge drinks, for the same reason that not everyone smokes. Similarly, i never said you can't lecture the morbidly obese lady about her health risks, i agree, that's also dangerous.

But the difference between smoking and drinking and eating McDonalds, is with the last 2, you can do so in moderation with limited health effects, and both are far less addictive than smoking. I can drink on occasion, and have the occassional big mac, and as long as i balance other aspects of my health, it won't effect me. However, its been proven that just by having an occassional cigarette, you increase your chances of obtaining a number of diseases, "every cigarette is doing you damage".

was not specifically saying you made pointing out the dangers of obesity socially unacceptable, merely replying to your comment that knowing the effects of smoking and still smoking is stupid.

exposure to the sun, gm modified foods, fatty foods, not having a high enough intake of vitamins & minerals, phenylamine, not exercising etc people use/partake in this stuff every day,while knowing its effects yet are not treated with the same contempt smokers are.

i understand that the smell to some people is rather putrid but calling all smokers 'idiots' is a sweeping generalization.

Stephie-Rae

HSC
was not specifically saying you made pointing out the dangers of obesity socially unacceptable, merely replying to your comment that knowing the effects of smoking and still smoking is stupid.

exposure to the sun, gm modified foods, fatty foods, not having a high enough intake of vitamins & minerals, phenylamine, not exercising etc people use/partake in this stuff every day,while knowing its effects yet are not treated with the same contempt smokers are.

i understand that the smell to some people is rather putrid but calling all smokers 'idiots' is a sweeping generalization.
Okay, when i said that smoking despite knowing the health risks was stupid, i didn't mean that concept was only applicable to smokers, i agree, doing anything whilst knowing it could kill you, is stupid. That being said, i don't mean crawl in a hole and never take any risks. All i mean is there are many things you're reffering to, such as drinking, eating fatty foods, exposing your body to the sun etc, which can be done in a reasonably healthy manner, with minimum associated risks, when done in moderation, like i said. There is no safe or moderate way you can smoke without it causing damage to your health. That is a proven scientific fact, hence why these things aren't treated the same as smoking, generally, they're less of a health risk. However, lately, there are just as many campaigns about binge drinking, skin cancer and obesity etc as there are about smoking, it's not as if they're completely disregarded as a health problem.

ashie0

world
HSC
N/A
Okay, when i said that smoking despite knowing the health risks was stupid, i didn't mean that concept was only applicable to smokers, i agree, doing anything whilst knowing it could kill you, is stupid. That being said, i don't mean crawl in a hole and never take any risks. All i mean is there are many things you're reffering to, such as drinking, eating fatty foods, exposing your body to the sun etc, which can be done in a reasonably healthy manner, with minimum associated risks, when done in moderation, like i said. There is no safe or moderate way you can smoke without it causing damage to your health. That is a proven scientific fact, hence why these things aren't treated the same as smoking, generally, they're less of a health risk. However, lately, there are just as many campaigns about binge drinking, skin cancer and obesity etc as there are about smoking, it's not as if they're completely disregarded as a health problem.
binge drinking is addictive, junk food is addictive. heart disease is australia's biggest killer (or is predicted to become in a short amount of time, can't remember)

but just because someone does something that is harmful to their health does not make them an idiot, just because someone has an addiction does not make them an idiot
they may place different values health and life etc etc

Stephie-Rae

HSC
binge drinking is addictive, junk food is addictive. heart disease is australia's biggest killer (or is predicted to become in a short amount of time, can't remember)

but just because someone does something that is harmful to their health does not make them an idiot, just because someone has an addiction does not make them an idiot
they may place different values health and life etc etc
All i'm saying is, that if the government puts so much time, money and effort into the smoking campaigns, trying to communicate to people the danger's associated, they have a pretty good reason for doing so, i'm sure they've done a lot more research into smoking and its side effects than you or i have.

You really don't need to keep telling me that binge drinking and junk food is addictive, i never argued that fact. you're clearly missing my entire argument.

And honestly, i don't care whether you, or anyone else smokes or not, if someone places different values on health and life, and are not concerned by the fact that they're significantly increasing their risks of obtaining a disease, that's their business. The post asked whether i found smoking a turn off and why. I stated my opinion, i would never date someone that smokes, nor would i stand by and let anyone i care about smoke whilst knowing what it can do to your health. I didn't post in here to offend or lecture you.

Tulipa

Loose lips sink ships
to the left, a little below the right and right in
HSC
All i'm saying is, that if the government puts so much time, money and effort into the smoking campaigns, trying to communicate to people the danger's associated, they have a pretty good reason for doing so, i'm sure they've done a lot more research into smoking and its side effects than you or i have.
Yeah. If the government really cared, they'd ban smoking. They don't because it's a big revenue raiser for them in terms of tax.

Still, I smoke and no one I've dated or been with has ever had a problem with it. Also, I find it a big turn on and always have, even before I started smoking. I like the taste, smell and action - it all works :p

ashie0

world
HSC
N/A
cos the government definitely knows whats best for us.
plus, those campaigns have been proven to encourage smoking + make existing smokers crave cigarettes.

a lot of people i know think its disgusting, no probs at all.
i just think that the emboldened statement is a pretty big assumption.

Stephie-Rae

HSC
cos the government definitely knows whats best for us.
plus, those campaigns have been proven to encourage smoking + make existing smokers crave cigarettes.

a lot of people i know think its disgusting, no probs at all.
i just think that the emboldened statement is a pretty big statement.

The government might not "know what's best for us", but i'm sure they didn't pull the statistics and scientific evidence regarding the effects of smoking out of their arse.

And okay, i'll agree that the statement i made was harsh, and i understand where you're coming from, i'm sorry and i retract my statement, it was a big generalisation. I just don't understand how someone that knows the risks associated can conciously make the choice to pick up the addiction.

williamc

HSC
as long as they like smoking my massive pole (potentially small) as-well i got no issues!!!!

loves smoking dick = + 200 points
loves smoking ciggarettes = -180 points

200 + (-180) = 20 points in front

anom1ly

HSC
depends on the girl.

although it may sound weird, some girls look sophisticated with a cigarette (like those classy women you see in old black and white movies).
then there's some that look disgusting. normally bogans. but it doesnt matter, the fact that their bogan is enough of a turn off.

kara42

HSC
depends on the girl.

although it may sound weird, some girls look sophisticated with a cigarette (like those classy women you see in old black and white movies).
then there's some that look disgusting. normally bogans. but it doesnt matter, the fact that their bogan is enough of a turn off.
Haha yeah I agree.
Like the pics I've seen of Zoe with a cigarette, she doesn't make me want to vomit like other people, it does -as you said- make her look classy.

EDIT: to answer the question - I guess it's a personal choice, people have their reasons for doing it but my personal choice is that I don't like them... given the smell, I imagine that I would hate the taste, and most of the time it just looks so dirty and trashy so yes, for me it is a turn-off.

Last edited:

williamc

HSC
btw to the thread formulator. posting a thread about smoking on a board of this nature will most likely lead to some bias results. Most people here arn't even allowed to drink soft drink, let alone what their parents would do if they found out their child smoked.

Azamakumar

bannèd
HSC
btw to the thread formulator. posting a thread about smoking on a board of this nature will most likely lead to some bias results. Most people here arn't even allowed to drink soft drink, let alone what their parents would do if they found out their child smoked.
lol

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)