• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Sneaking into lectures/classes? (2 Viewers)

Mrkingofstuff

HSC
If you are not studying at a particular university, is there anything stopping you from walking onto campus and attending random lectures? Besides the obvious issues of not knowing times or potential ethical issues. Are rolls marked? Would you be able to push this even further and attend actual tutorials? If you went up and introduced yourself and your situation ('I'm curious about the subject / I just want to learn etc.'), would most professors and teaching assistants be accommodating?

isildurrrr1

HSC
N/A
nope not in lectures. but for tutes if you asked nicely and say you want to observe im sure theyd let you in.

OMGITzJustin

HSC
N/A
I would say just go to the lectures, it might be a bit awkward in the tutes, think of it walking into a classroom for a subject you dont do at school, except you don't know anyone

HSC
Haha, not in lectures. I usually sit at the back of lecture classes and do my homework or something and I'm not even in uni :L

madharris

HSC
N/A
You can easily 'sneak' into lectures no problem, people do it all the time, if you get caught for any reason I doubt you would get kicked out

As for tutes, that may be more difficult.
Some tutors won't even notice that you're 'new' but some will know straight away

isildurrrr1

HSC
N/A
You can easily 'sneak' into lectures no problem, people do it all the time, if you get caught for any reason I doubt you would get kicked out

As for tutes, that may be more difficult.
Some tutors won't even notice that you're 'new' but some will know straight away
i joined an accounting lecture to chill with a friend and the lecturer kept asking me questions

Kittikhun

HSC
For language courses there are rolls for both lectures and tutorials, and they do call out your name. However, these are for language courses that have around 20-30 people. I'm not sure for the language courses with bigger numbers of students enrolled.

For my first year chem tute, where there are around 30-40 people, the tutor doesn't call out the names on the roll call, and you just initial next to your name on the roll sheet as it gets passed around the room. Probs, it won't be the same case for higher courses, but I may be wrong (people initial on the roll for their friends when they are away).

For labs, the demonstrators know you by name, so you can't really go into one.

So, basically, if the course has a lot of people enrolled, say above 100, and has no labs, then you're sweet to sit down in the lecture hall or tutorial room and learn.

Oh, and from my experience, the lecturer won't tell you to piss off. I crashed a course in Roman history several times, and the lecturer just gave me a weird look when he saw me (the class was like 50 big), but then continued lecturing. He even gave me lecture sheets.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)