Snoop Dog, Ice Cube and Bone Thugz (1 Viewer)

hiphophooray123

Twisted firestarter
HSC
Js^-1 said:
Just because its noise, doesn't mean its music.

1. an art of sound in time that expresses ideas and emotions in significant forms through the elements of rhythm, melody, harmony, and color.

1. an art of sound in time that expresses ideas and emotions in significant forms through the elements of rhythm, melody, harmony, and color.

also, as a side note, the roots, a RAP band, have been named by rolling stones mag as one of the top 20 best live acts in the world.

but i guess a HSC music student knows more than them ehhhhhhh

Js^-1

No tengo pantelonès
HSC
Ok, following on from the unnecesarily repeated definition, lets assume rap is music. That still doesn't prove that its not shit.

By your own definition, music is dependent on the ideas and emotions expresses being significant. This varies according to the responder, and Rap being classified as music is clearly debatable.

Oh and BTW, I don't even study Music. So stop stereotyping and start arguing about the subject, not against the person.

hiphophooray123

Twisted firestarter
HSC
clearly debatable?

everything varies according to the responder, that is common sense and beside the point.

you people are trying to assert objectivity by stating that rap is not music, not art etc. you aren't just saying 'its music, but to me its bad music' which is reasonable, you are saying 'its NOT MUSIC'

and ANYTHING is clearly debateable

Heavy metal is just useless noise bla bla bla

Punk is whiney cunts over mashed up bullshit crap bla bla bla

rap is just some dude talking over sampled music bla bla bla

R&B is pussy shit coz they don't talk about death and how black the world is bla bla bla

rap expresses ideas and emotions in significant forms, arguably communicates ideas even better than any other form of music.

no personal attacks there.

but here,

here you go,

ill give you a personal attack to concentrate on so you just ignore the rest and say im being all ad hominem

you fail and you're shit

McLovin

HSC
hiphophooray123 said:
a typo, well done at being pedantic though *thumbs up* simple spelling mistake attacks on forums got old a while ago.

ok we'll start with a dictionary definition of music, not your wanky arbitrary standards of 'what REAL music is'

primary def: 1. an art of sound in time that expresses ideas and emotions in significant forms through the elements of rhythm, melody, harmony, and color.

now, what you are trying to get at is the encoding process, but if you want to make comments on 'it isnt real music' 'it isnt art' you're talking about the preception of it, you are talking about the decoding process, a world where your tech terms do not matter so much.

I think you should also note that pitch applies to the human voice, which differs ALOT in rap music.

philosophy has little to do with music? music is an art.

A is B. philosophy has alot to do with music and 'whether or not it is art'

it conveys emotions, depicts stories etc = IT IS ART

IT IS MUSIC

think outside of the stupid little box you obviously think inside of. Or get a new box. At least something because your box must be the size of a fucking standard rubix cube.

now go home and watch that youtube video of a member of a HIP HOP band play hendrix and dylan and his guitar and SHUT THE FUCK UP

maybe i don't have anything on thursdays???

are you at high school 24/7 now?

Yes I look down on you, I've been through that 'thats not real music' phase that you are going through, i now realise how stupid i was then, just like you are now.

so run along little kid.
I don't thint was a typo considering on the keyboard the 'c' key is a fair distance from either M, O and K.

Yes pitch is used in voice, that is obvious. I do not see many rap artists using a high register and wide range in their songs. This may be a generalising, but you must agree that most rap artists use the same low register and low range in their vocals hence why these lyrics are spoken it is hard to create a more dynamic sound.

Dur art is music, when did I say that is not an art?
You are missing all the points that I address and are arguing against matters that I do not care about..

Stick on topic, and nice ignorance once again with the 'little kid' comment.
Once again you contradict yourself:lol: .

hiphophooray123

Twisted firestarter
HSC
are you just saying 'contradict' for the sake of saying it? :confused: kind of like me and the personal insults ehhhh

"I do not see many rap artists using a high register and wide range in their songs."

then that's YOUR problem. I gave you artists to check out. or maybe you want to stay blind, they say ignorance is bliss so yep :)

im going go ahead and add 'common' and 'K-Os' to that list as well.

art is music
rap is art
rap is music

McLovin

HSC
None of those artists used any sort of high notes in their vocals, I checked most of them out and none even close to a Soprano like sound.

I know rap is music, but it a genre of music that involves less skill level and is blend in comparison to the other genres of music.

I say contradict that often because that is how often you actually are CONTRADICTING yourself!

hiphophooray123

Twisted firestarter
HSC
do you know what contradicting means :confused:

first you say that my argument has remained consistent, and then you say i contradict myself....

make you your mind?

I had no idea soprano was a 'real music' standard? it's rapping, not singing.

I better tell mariah carey that she is the best musician in the world then if a 'soprano like sound' is your standard.

McLovin

HSC
hiphophooray123 said:
do you know what contradicting means :confused:

first you say that my argument has remained consistent, and then you say i contradict myself....

make you your mind?

I had no idea soprano was a 'real music' standard? it's rapping, not singing.

I better tell mariah carey that she is the best musician in the world then if a 'soprano like sound' is your standard.
You are contradicting in the fact that you call me ignorant.
When you generalise kids.

You lack arguementive skills and it is clearly shown with your constant personal attacks that gain nothing. Which is where you are constant. Two different matters.

Soprano was just an example, don't have to take all I say literally all the time.
'Real music' standard is shown through passion and true talent. True talent is shown through dynamics and how you can adjust songs to create interest, rap music lacks this.

hiphophooray123

Twisted firestarter
HSC
McLovin said:
You are contradicting in the fact that you call me ignorant.
When you generalise kids.
that is not a contradiction, you could argue that it's hypocritical, but then again, generalisations are just that, generalisations, nothing ignorant about them if you know they are general

McLovin said:
You lack arguementive skills and it is clearly shown with your constant personal attacks that gain nothing. Which is where you are constant. Two different matters.
never knew we were supposed to have a formal debate on an internet forum. As I said previously, do you expect me to sit here and type an essay? No, it's rather entertaining calling you names as well, so I will. Don't just concentrate on those mr selective attention.

McLovin said:
Soprano was just an example, don't have to take all I say literally all the time.
'Real music' standard is shown through passion and true talent. True talent is shown through dynamics and how you can adjust songs to create interest, rap music lacks this.
rap:

passion - check

interest - check (50 cent has sold more than opeth, I apologise on behalf of rap, really, im sorry you're bitterness has led you to try and degrade a type of music that you are obviously not informed enough about to try and degrade)

YOUR definition of 'true talent' seems to be lacking in any logic whatsoever.

you have three 21st chromosomes don't you?

hiphophooray123

Twisted firestarter
HSC
McLovin said:
why do little kids think that people need to be so pedantic about typing on an internet forum?

Do you actually, reasonably, think that ANYONE would type 'would you your mind' without it being a simple mistake?

it's like when people don't pay enough attention in essays and write 'the the.'

You really are clutching at straws if you are nitpicking at typing mistakes

sam04u

Comrades, Comrades!
HSC
McLovin said:
If you think anybody is taking your arguments seriously you're delusional.

Your arguments are infantile in nature. I think one of the other posters put it best when they compared your attacks on Rap music to be analagous to a pathetic HSC music course work.

The art of Rap is something which I can say with quite certainty you will not be able to ever grasp, especially due to your obvious prejudices towards it.

You criticise music made electronically, even though in many instances various other music is made with the exact same instruments. A keyboard (with a drum machine), and then the artists vocals. Perhaps you're just opposed to any music which doesn't feature a guitarist? That's equally retarded.

What's the last Rap song you've listened to? You've not heard some of the titles those who are arguing Rap music is good are listening to, yet you still feel the need to judge the genre as a whole.

If musicians like Elton John have taken the time to recognise Rap music, who are you, a pathetic HSC student, to criticise the genre as empty?

Last edited:

sam04u

Comrades, Comrades!
HSC
You know what I think it is the kids a few years too young to have ever heard a decent Rap track on the mainstream media.

I remember the first single I ever bought. It was Mo Money Mo Problems - Notorious B.I.G.

But when the Rap you're listening to is what passes as Rap these days, it's understandable.

hiphophooray123

Twisted firestarter
HSC
ah yes, but such an intelligent young boy, as McLovin' clearly is, should know better then to judge something based on a watered-down version of it (ie, mainstream rap - 50 cent etc) and generalise that to hip hop music as a whole.

McLovin

HSC
hiphophooray123 said:
ah yes, but such an intelligent young boy, as McLovin' clearly is, should know better then to judge something based on a watered-down version of it (ie, mainstream rap - 50 cent etc) and generalise that to hip hop music as a whole.
Funny how I never once mentioned 50 cent?

hiphophooray123

Twisted firestarter
HSC
you posted lyrics of drop it like its hot, you automatically implied that you are going to draw your examples from the mainstream, and 50 cent is about as mainstream as you can get.

Please don't tell me you don't know the meaning of 'example' either.

McLovin

HSC
hiphophooray123 said:
you posted lyrics of drop it like its hot, you automatically implied that you are going to draw your examples from the mainstream, and 50 cent is about as mainstream as you can get.

Please don't tell me you don't know the meaning of 'example' either.
I used Snoop Dog not because it is mainstream but because he is in the title of this thread go figure??

hiphophooray123

Twisted firestarter
HSC
you still drew on a mainstream example of snoop...

one of his hit singles that has been a worldwide success and etched into popular culture.

You also concentrated on the hook....

Born Dancer

I can't go for that
HSC
wow it's really refreshing to see someone who limits their knowledge of music to the HSC syllabus. way to go! u rule!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)