So BIOS1011..... (2 Viewers)

Tim035

HSC
Is it just me or are the lectures completely different to the tutorials which are completely different to the labs?!?

The only correlation between all three of them I've been able to find is through the text book readings. Thus I'm thinking of basing most of my study for this course through summaries of the course readings, would this be a good idea?
Even so the huge amount of complex phylums/clades and scientific names seems already impossible to try and remember :( Could any 2nd+ years offer advice as to what I should concentrate on trying to remember? What are the exams mainly based on?

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Try to learn everything from the lecture notes. The textbook is good to help clarify complicated concepts, but not essential. There are a lot of things to remember and it's not an easy course. And I personally believe it's at least 3 times harder than BABS1201 - its first year counterpart.

Basically keep up to date with all the lectures. Read the lab manuals in detail.

Tim035

HSC
Ok thanks for the advice, um just another quick question:
What do the pre lab test mainly involve? and what format are they, like 5-10 multi choice?

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
pre lab can be a mix of multiple choice or short answers and go for around 15 mins.
it usually involves asking questions based on the lab that youre about to do.

Rekkusu

Currently: Away
HSC
A word of advice on lab tests. They focus on the simplest of things. Like last year, it was asking about a certain species which had a claw or something. The question was like what is so special about and provided 5 lines.

The answer: Retractable.

So, beware. I'd memorise the whole practical word for word if I could. And these marks are really important to get, the Exam is s*** hard. And the sample papers they give you either online or hard copy are off the scale...real different.

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
Also: the subject is shit. :p

My advice? When the Beal lectures come around, get reading that damn textbook, because his lectures are unbearable.

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
hahaha archers lectures are the only ones worth going
beal and adams are just totally shithouse.

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
I don't really understand how some lecturers never change their lecturing styles year after year. I mean can't they see 90% of the students are falling asleep during lectures or how the number of students decreases lecture by lecture? The least they can do is to see how they can change the materials or make the content more engaging.

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Not really. The job description is to both teach and do research (that's how they go from Senior lecturer to Assc. Prof to Prof - to do well in both). There are some academics who are being paid for doing teaching alone; and some of them aren't great either.

Tim035

HSC
Arghh.... We've started plant biology lectures, I can walk into them feeling fine and awake but after just 20 minutes I get soooo sleepy.
The guy above who said start hammering into the textbook couldn't be closer to the truth.

Rekkusu

HSC
Lol! I s'ppose its punishment for us people who didn't do Biology in HSC. :)

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Unfortunately a band 6 in HSC biology does nothing in BIOS1101. :(

Tim035

HSC
Yeah, I got 91 in HSC biology but what I learnt then really isn't helping much in this course. Well I suppose the xylem and phloem transport I already knew a bit about, but thats it really...

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Tim, what subjects are you doing at the monent?

Rekkusu

HSC
Lol Can't agree enough.

God BIOS1101 lectures and management can really compete with the Genetics lectures and management.

Tim035

HSC
Update:
So they just handed out in the last lab 50 practice multiple choice questions from past papers. I've now gone through and done them, but I would say probably..... 40/50 I could only eliminate 2 of the 5 choices even after reading my summaries and occasionally I could eliminate another choice after re-reading the text book. I.e. Most of them were still a coin toss over 2-3 remaining answers.
You probably posted this well over a month ago, but in responce to your question survivor:
-Math1041
-Bios1011
-Chem1021
-ANAT1521

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
yeah, BIOS1101 is like that. I think in the final exam, I guessed the last 30 questions (on the animal/hormone stuffs) because I just had NO idea which one to choose.

Glad I never have to do that course again.

Rekkusu

HSC
Hey Survivor did you choose Viruses and Disease as one of your 3rd year Med Sci courses? If you did, any feedback would be greatly appreciated :) :p

I was thinking of doing this course, but after Peter White taught us today in Microbiology 1...I'm thinking otherwise. Cos this lecturer places so much information into just one lecture, not to mention he rushes through it just to make up some non-related quizzes!!:bomb:

I suppose bacteria and diseases isn't too bad...ugh but Immunology with Margaret's pitchey voice!

P.S. I think I saw you the other day at level 3 catching the lift right after my Micro lab, but I didn't want to blurt out your name in case you weren't Si-ming!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)