So BIOS1011..... (2 Viewers)

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
There are a lot to learn in Viruses and Disease (you learn about 2-4 viruses per lecture) and Pete ALWAYS have quizzes in the lecture... In my year he asked about history and epidemiology for one of the essay quetion in the final exam...but I mean who remember that sort of stuff.. I think the course itself is pretty good, not the best and not the worst course. I probably give it a 7/10.

Bacteria and Disease is harder than Viruses because Hazel likes to put in a lot of mechanisms and genes stuff in there. Basically it's a one bacterium per lecture style. You learn all about the mechansisms of the bacterium which cause disease, genes, epidemiology, treatment.

Hahaha. wouldn't it be embarassing if that person wasn't me? :p

Rekkusu

Currently: Away
HSC
Thanks for the feedback! Lol love the rating system ;) We should get a rating system here to tell students which courses to take and which not to take. It'll be a hard blow to those crappy subjects like Chemistry which aren't badly organised to get their act together.

Honestly, Chemistry department is only getting alot of money because whichever idiot made most majors in Science have Chem as a pre-req.

Yeah even in Microbiology 1, Peter makes up a whole lot of quizzes in just those 2 virus lectures. And some of them...you just cannot even think of the answer like something about how long the primer sequence was or something, when us second years have only just started to learn about primers! :p

Thanks for that bacteria and disease info! Ah, the Hazel team...her Antibiotics lectures are sort of interesting, but she drills you into remembering a whole lot of antibiotic names >< from what you've said, it would appear that Hazel will really drill into the smallest of facts.

I'll definitely do bacteria and disease, but viruses....hm, really have to think about it (It's alot of team work I think?). But if I don't do viruses, I'll have to take Immunology 2 >< (I wonder what's happening with Immunology 2! it wasn't open this year...)

Can you also rate some more movies... ahem I mean courses? Like Microbial Genetics and 3rd year Molecular Biology? (I really hate genetics...lecturers are real gay and boring!! Same for the pracs)

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Hmmm...

Here are what I think (they are all relative to each others of course - and I try to to be bias base on the marks I got. hahaha)

Pretty much group work for every course - you have to do presentations for every course you take (as a group).

Viruses & Disease 7/10 group presentation, group consultancy report
Bacteria & Disease 6.5/10 - group presentation
Immunology 1 9/10 - I didn't like the e-poster. I hoope they got rid of it already. Lectures were good though (except outside guest lecturers)
Environmental Microbiology 8/10 - some good and boring lectures. learn lots of techniques in the lab. Group poster + presentation.
Microbial Genetics 7/10 - I didn't really understand half of the stuff taugh in lectures. But interesting labs
Immunology 2 - 5/10 - do this course if you want to learn about bioinformatics and computing stuffs - there is hardly any wet lab. Mostly computing work.

Ok. Molecular biology. I didn't didn't do any but have friends who did
Apparently the best ones are Recombinant DNA because you learn a lot of molecular biology techniques which is very useful for honours.
Molecular biology of nucleic acid is pretty good. You will need to do this one if you want to do Recombinant.

Molecular Cell bio is also very good - including excursion to the Garvan Institue.

Do human biochem is you like to learn about metabolism and diseases. Interesting prac including documenting your own calorie in-take over 1 week period. It's completely different to 2nd year biochem because you don't learn about pathways.

Don't know anything about Genetics in 3rd year - apparently Alan is taking it so..
Some interesting ones in Biotech as well apparently.

Good luck with choosing your subjects.
I may tutor some micro courses next year so see you there. (No more fundamental of micro and immuno next year...so may be stick with tutoring 3rd year)

Oh yeah, you should have came to see my Honours presentation...

Last edited:

Rekkusu

HSC
Aww no more MICR2201? Darn lol I loved that subject, so easy :p not to mention after they phased out the eposters, it made marks much better. If you take any courses, omg tell me! I'll be the first student to trial your tutorial classes/Demo classes.

hehe biasing is good!! That's how I also choose courses based on what ppl get. If you have a look at the grade distribution for Chemistry 1st year, you'll see it reflects how crappy that course is.

Hm the Molecular biology subjects seem really interesting! Though when I had a look at the classes back in 2005 or something, Cell biology and most molecular subjects only had about 40-80 people taking it! XD But no people failed, so it would seem to be relatively easy.

Yeah I'm definitely taking Bacteria & Disease, Immuno 1, Enviro Micro.

Darn as for Viruses and disease I just keep hearing people say its just so hard in terms of the content , haha but if I equivalate your marks of viruses and disease that would be almost distinction! I'm studying White's lecture notes so far for Micro 1's virology stuff, his lecture notes are 10 pages each!!! :eek: Is the content covered almost like microbiology 1 style? No doubt its interesting, but man 4 labs every week XD

But ...yeah I'm probably choosing either: Viruses or Immuno 2. Just to fulfill my Med micro/Immuno major. Darn then there's the problem of electives to choose in 3rd year, or I'll stick to Mol Bio courses. Urgh, I hated genetics, so I really have to think deep about Microbial genetics. Hahah yeah that's the problem, you never seem to understand genetics.

Whaat you had the Honours Presentation already? I would have definitely come! At least Takayama didn't mark your presentation, it should be Paul march.

Rekkusu

HSC
Oh well. :) Cheers for the replies Survivor. haha at first I was wondering weird, how come Si ming hasn't logged into BoS for quite some time!

Wish you all the best for the thesis defence interview! Hopefully u'll get an awesome Christmas Present like 1st Class Hons (which you most likely will get!)

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Yep, Pete' lecture in Viruses is pretty much 7-8 pages. And all his lecture follow the similar format of history, epidemiology, genome, pathogenesis. So for each virus you learn you need to know all these stuff. For the assessments, I don't know.. I just keep losing marks for no reason...but apparently I ended up coming 3rd in the course.. so...
If you don't want to take it, I suppose take Moelcular biology subjects.

I'm still waiting for my results - finished the thesis defense last week. So all the assessments have been completed so will see what happens. *fingers crossed*

Rekkusu

HSC
:eek: Hey no need to have fingers crosssed. You'll make it for sure! If they don't $%^&& give you 1st Class, they're losing an extremely motivated and intelligent scientist, who may be the only answer to VRSA, or HIV....

Omg lol 7-8 pages each, I hope he shrinks em, if I do take it. Lol some of my friends just completed viruses and disease, looks like the damn history of HIV or something history essay question popped again this year! But worst has got to be those presentations...its like every week there's presentation or something due in.

Tim035

HSC
Well I managed to pull a 75, just scraping a D in this sleep fest subject. Hooray!!

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
haha thats heaps good.
i got 49 when i did mine last year lolz.

TheMelissa

God Complex
HSC
Now I'm just pissed off. :burn:

We get stuck with the craptacularly mundane because we didn't choose a low-scaling, sleep-inducing, "soft" HSC course? Damnit!

EdmondDW

HSC
:torch:
Rekkusu said:
Aww no more MICR2201? Darn lol I loved that subject, so easy :p not to mention after they phased out the eposters, it made marks much better. If you take any courses, omg tell me! I'll be the first student to trial your tutorial classes/Demo classes.

hehe biasing is good!! That's how I also choose courses based on what ppl get. If you have a look at the grade distribution for Chemistry 1st year, you'll see it reflects how crappy that course is.

Hm the Molecular biology subjects seem really interesting! Though when I had a look at the classes back in 2005 or something, Cell biology and most molecular subjects only had about 40-80 people taking it! XD But no people failed, so it would seem to be relatively easy.

Yeah I'm definitely taking Bacteria & Disease, Immuno 1, Enviro Micro.

Darn as for Viruses and disease I just keep hearing people say its just so hard in terms of the content , haha but if I equivalate your marks of viruses and disease that would be almost distinction! I'm studying White's lecture notes so far for Micro 1's virology stuff, his lecture notes are 10 pages each!!! :eek: Is the content covered almost like microbiology 1 style? No doubt its interesting, but man 4 labs every week XD

But ...yeah I'm probably choosing either: Viruses or Immuno 2. Just to fulfill my Med micro/Immuno major. Darn then there's the problem of electives to choose in 3rd year, or I'll stick to Mol Bio courses. Urgh, I hated genetics, so I really have to think deep about Microbial genetics. Hahah yeah that's the problem, you never seem to understand genetics.

Whaat you had the Honours Presentation already? I would have definitely come! At least Takayama didn't mark your presentation, it should be Paul march.
Is Microbiology such easy, even easier than BABS1201?
I am still thinking if I will enrol in MATH2281 Biomathematics or Micr2201...
Does Micr2201 contains prezentation?

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
I think BABS1201 is easier than MICR2011. MICR2201 is no longer offered.

MICR2011 does require you to present to the tutorial group.

EdmondDW

HSC
Survivor39 said:
I think BABS1201 is easier than MICR2011. MICR2201 is no longer offered.

MICR2011 does require you to present to the tutorial group.
Er..Thanks...So actually...I do not like the present...:cold:

Tim035

HSC
MICRO2011- The tutorials were generally just a discussion of what we would be doing in the lab immediatly following or a fairly easy exercise- Such as what the selective pressures of different growth mediums are. Good WAM boosting subject providing you do all the assingments to a high standard... Actually that's kind of an oxymoron, meh.

TheMelissa

God Complex
HSC
LOL I hate this course (Re: BIOS1101). It so does not exist to me.

Ohmigods exams :uhoh:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)