So do we just rock up and follow course? (1 Viewer)

Kralex

HSC
Yeah I'm just a bit confused. I basically said fuck Orientation and fuck o-week and now Uni starts in 5 days.

Do I just follow my timetable? is there some sort of procedure for 1st years?

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
if your uni has an orientation and you are a first year, then it'd be a good idea to go.
if not, then rock up to classes according to your timetable.

unsw students, most subjects there are NO TUTORIALS OR LABS in the first week, only lectures, but check online to make sure. Go to your my.unsw, look at your timetable, and deselect all weeks except week 1 and that shows your classes.

etoile rouge

HSC
me three.
And what about our fees? I don't even know how much my course costs or when we have to pay.

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
also it'd be a good idea to bring a printout of a map of your uni so you know where everything is, and a printout of your timetable.

Studentleader

HSC
N/A
me three.
And what about our fees? I don't even know how much my course costs or when we have to pay.
Sign the HECS box and you get to choose to give the uni $500 a semester and they take like $1000-1500 off your HECS. They don't chase you up about this so if you don't pay they don't take it off. Every year you get a letter from the Government about how much you owe but it's taken off you when you earn over $40k anyway.

Just go to your classes, sit down for 50 mins or so then walk on out of there!

Gmac_0

HSC
Yeah I'm just a bit confused. I basically said fuck Orientation and fuck o-week and now Uni starts in 5 days.

No real different procedure from other yrs. Bring your timetable for the first few weeks at least, after that you should be able to remember when classes are, no need to bring a massive load of textbooks on day 1 (if you even have em) tutors/lecturers will usually go through what you need to buy/bring, n then just be prepared to spend a fair bit of time in the 1st tutes introducing yourself and remembering names.

Mature Lamb

wats goin on
HSC
Uni Grad
Rather than create a new thread I might as well ask here.

Anyone know if ECON1011 lecture notes are put online?

cutemouse

Account Closed
HSC
N/A
I believe that COMP1911 and ENGG1811 have labs in week 1...

Ritz1024

HSC
N/A

Arts orientation was really really awesome, you missed out. o-week starts on 21 - 24 feb. Yeah just follow your timetable.

As for the other guy asking for paying fees, i hope you're not in MQ. Other wise, you may have to pay late fee $200. I think due date 17th feb or something.

Last edited:

etoile rouge

HSC
no, i'm going to usyd. Anybody know when we have to pay by for usyd? Also why does everyone mistake me for a guy?? lol.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
There's usually a roll call class for first years at 8am on the village green, to make sure everyone knows where the uni is.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
There's usually a roll call class for first years at 8am on the village green, to make sure everyone knows where the uni is.
thank god i didn't miss this!

would've failed uni otherwise

Paradox.101

HSC
Yeah I'm just a bit confused...and now Uni starts in 5 days.

This!
I am absolutely lost, 'cause apparently Macquarie starts a week earlier than most universities and I don't have any textbooks, haven't paid my uni fees (not sure what is going on with my HECS application either) and just enrolled into my units. Do we just follow our first sem timetable and rock up to our classes? I don't know what to expect...lol, they just threw us into the deep end.

Lou283

HSC
Calm down =) Just make sure you have your MQ diary you got sent because it has a good map in it. Get there will plenty of time so you can figure out where your classes are and then just go to your first lecture. If you have given the uni your tax file number you are covered by hecs - but if you aren't sure just call up or go and see student services. With textbooks go to your first lecture first and ask them whether it's required or just recommended. Then either look for second hand, order online or stand in the line at the bookstore - leave atleast 45 mins to spare if you are going to the bookstore - the line will be long and go super slow.

EDIT: and remember to log in to your online units before you go to class and print off your lecture notes.

walk-the-line

HSC
unsw students, most subjects there are NO TUTORIALS OR LABS in the first week, only lectures, but check online to make sure. Go to your my.unsw, look at your timetable, and deselect all weeks except week 1 and that shows your classes.
Oh my god. Thanks so much for posting this! Just went and checked that and now I don't even have to come Thursday for first week. Would have been so confusing if I hadn't known about this.

Kralex

HSC
Calm down =) Just make sure you have your MQ diary you got sent because it has a good map in it. Get there will plenty of time so you can figure out where your classes are and then just go to your first lecture. If you have given the uni your tax file number you are covered by hecs - but if you aren't sure just call up or go and see student services. With textbooks go to your first lecture first and ask them whether it's required or just recommended. Then either look for second hand, order online or stand in the line at the bookstore - leave atleast 45 mins to spare if you are going to the bookstore - the line will be long and go super slow.

EDIT: and remember to log in to your online units before you go to class and print off your lecture notes.
I wasn't sent a diary D: I remember hearing about getting one during O-week though? Guess I'll have to chase it up on Monday seeing as I have a fair bit of time anyway.

This thread has been overly helpful, thanks guys!

Studentleader

HSC
N/A
Oh my god. Thanks so much for posting this! Just went and checked that and now I don't even have to come Thursday for first week. Would have been so confusing if I hadn't known about this.
Check on your webct thing - my tutes didn't start til week 3 for some units!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)