So guys, how many words is applicable for Belonging Essay? (1 Viewer)

HSC
N/A
As the title is pretty self explanatory...

I currently have 3 back-to-back pages of my essay, and I write pretty big... total words, 950. Add another paragraph, or leave it out? I don't want to sacrifice time since the essay and creative are my strongest and the comprehension is my worst...

:confused::confused:

HSC
N/A
As the title is pretty self explanatory...

I currently have 3 back-to-back pages of my essay, and I write pretty big... total words, 950. Add another paragraph, or leave it out? I don't want to sacrifice time since the essay and creative are my strongest and the comprehension is my worst...

:confused::confused:
Hi bringonthenerds!

950 words is okay, you won't be disadvantaged significantly because of your word count. It really is borderline though, you should be aiming for the ~1050 region ideally.

A common concept that's agreed upon by most of NSW's highest achievers in English is that the best essays must have quality AND quantity (i.e. a minimum of 1000~ words is needed for your essay to be competitive). HOWEVER, the latter MUST NOT come at the expense of answering the question to a less intimate and engaging degree. Get as many ideas, analysis and examples down as possible, but cut back and focus on the question if you need to.

An 800 word essay that answers the question might be capped at 18-19/20, but a 1200 word essay that does a poor job of engaging the given question would be capped at 13-14/20. Fail to engage the question, and you're doomed to the nether regions of the C range no matter how many words you have down.

Regards,
Delta Education

Last edited:

deswa1

HSC
Personally mine is like 1100-1200 words so depending on how fast you write, you'll be fine I reckon. Good luck

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)