So how do you muck up in the interview? (1 Viewer)

Dragonmaster262

Unorthodox top student
HSC
A lot of people say that they've lost a place in medicine because they mucked up in their interview. Just how do you do that?

Tim035

HSC
It's a very full on interview, they are basically drilling who you are psychologically, you feel very drained and scattered by the end of it.

You can be caught off guard by a question like- what was the latest thing you did for the community and what was your reason for doing so? Or who is your role model in life and how did they come to be so?

Or you accidentally mention something that alludes to money, career stability, specializing in some prestigious area etc... for why you want to do medicine.

The bombardment of questions related to how you think and view yourself amongst your friends, family, society are very difficult to bullshit. I'm not an overly self confident or vibrant person and this unfortunately came out in the answers I gave to these kinds of questions.

joshuaali

HSC
Or you accidentally mention something that alludes to money, career stability, specializing in some prestigious area etc... for why you want to do medicine.
Cause that can't possibly be a reason of why somebody would want a career in medicine, right?

Tim035

HSC
Cause that can't possibly be a reason of why somebody would want a career in medicine, right?
Of cause they're not that daft, however it is not the primary reason they want to hear, you could add it on to the end of your reason for wanting to do med... but make it the main reason and you're treading on water.

yz125

HSC
A lot of people say that they've lost a place in medicine because they mucked up in their interview. Just how do you do that?
You'll find that quite a few people don't want to do medicine. Its their parents that force them to do it. The only way to get out of it is to stuff the interview up.

Preity

HSC
It's a very full on interview, they are basically drilling who you are psychologically, you feel very drained and scattered by the end of it.

You can be caught off guard by a question like- what was the latest thing you did for the community and what was your reason for doing so? Or who is your role model in life and how did they come to be so?

The bombardment of questions related to how you think and view yourself amongst your friends, family, society are very difficult to bullshit. I'm not an overly self confident or vibrant person and this unfortunately came out in the answers I gave to these kinds of questions.
just wondering y u wouldn't b able to say career stability...? I'm an honest person and if the interviewer asked me, I would say career stability would be a reason (tho not the primary reason) as it's important for women in the workforce, especially if you have/thinking about having a family....tho that's a bridge i'll cross if i reach it :p

wud love to hear ur thoughts :)

Tim035

HSC
@Preity- If you said exactly what you've posted, you'd probably be alright; the main point I was trying to emphasis is that they want those people that have a real love for helping others and feel passionate about making a difference to peoples lives...... If the first thing you mention is- Well I want to be a doctor as it offers good career stability, then you'd probably get a big fat cross in that box.

All in all, the system is completely corrupt. I had a friend who said he wanted to do med for the money (obviously didn't get in), did a year of medical science, paid money to go to one of those med interview training seminars, did the interview again, bull-shitted what the interviewers want to hear and is now in 2nd year medicine.

Rekkusu

Currently: Away
HSC
@Preity- If you said exactly what you've posted, you'd probably be alright; the main point I was trying to emphasis is that they want those people that have a real love for helping others and feel passionate about making a difference to peoples lives...... If the first thing you mention is- Well I want to be a doctor as it offers good career stability, then you'd probably get a big fat cross in that box.

All in all, the system is completely corrupt. I had a friend who said he wanted to do med for the money (obviously didn't get in), did a year of medical science, paid money to go to one of those med interview training seminars, did the interview again, bull-shitted what the interviewers want to hear and is now in 2nd year medicine.
Hhaha lol that's a classic tim! Obviously your buddy was abit ill-informed. It takes years to get the 170k + dream salary. You definitely need the passion and empathy, and if you're not 100% interested, a single mistake in theatre can cost millions.

Yeah totally agree with that, it's just with any interview, all very subjective. But lol what else can they do, if they started accepting everyone based on gpa like getting into masters, suddenly the whole med profession is in the bin --> doctor's salaries drop. The msg would then be: Why do all the years of study (10+) to just get the 60k salary when IT pays more and in less time!

Funnily enough, this is half true, a medical receptionist earns 60k, a first year intern to maybe 1-2nd year resident earns 60-70k haha. So you really gotta be in it to help people.

Rekkusu

Currently: Away
HSC
And a private proceduralist earns close to 700k+.
I know eh...crazy. It's still a relatively new field. But man, I bet it'll require all these frcps to become one sooner or later, if it really does provide that salary. It's strange I've rarely heard of this medical profession, is it more research? Or clinically-orientated?

Sounds almost like the theory of a guy re-inventing the wheel to a cartwheel to a tyre. I'd prolly stick to GS just for the excitement and similar salary.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)