So lets say I hand in a 1800 word reflection statement (1 Viewer)

Therewego

HSC
What exactly would they do?

I realise that its an extremely bad idea but I shudder at the thought of shortening mine any further :(

Would they simply deduct marks? does it depend on the marker? or is there even a chance that as it does not meet the criteria it will recieve a 0?

Maybe someone has done something similar in the past?

discuss

hopscotchiscool

HSC
Mine was over 1500 but I made an effort to compress it down to just under the max. I mean, the word limit is there for a reason (I'll give you one when it becomes known to me).1500 words to me is not nearly enough at all to thoroughly cover all the dot points, but to be real honest with you, I would say bastardize as much as possble to squeeze it in. I wouldn't run the risk of causing any knitted brows amongst the markers for any reason.

Btw, I don't know for sure what they would do if you submitted it though. I'm thinking mark deductions? Maybe? But I wouldn't do it. This is the last thing we have to do before handing our MW in so...

Last edited:

imsopostmodern

cool as a kuhncumber
HSC
do NOT go over. it will be extremely obvious. these markers have been marking ee2 works for a long time and considering formatting guidelines, when your reflection statement is several pages longer than everyone elses it will be painfully obvious you've effectively cheated.

do whatever you can to get it back to within the word limit. this is a course requirement.

alex.leon

not an ATARd
HSC
do NOT go over. it will be extremely obvious. these markers have been marking ee2 works for a long time and considering formatting guidelines, when your reflection statement is several pages longer than everyone elses it will be painfully obvious you've effectively cheated.

do whatever you can to get it back to within the word limit. this is a course requirement.
+1

A teacher at my school has marked Ext 2 for a few years, and she said its really REALLY obvious when people go over the word count for an RS. Think about it, they're going through major works for hours on end, if yours is more than a page over, they'll start to get suspicious.

Patar

0101 0000
HSC
why the hang up over age? i can guarantee that information is 100% correct. is age really relevant?

you dont think that after having already marked several hundred works that adhere to the specificed margins, font size and spacing, this would be a tad obvious?
You're somewhat correct, but dude - margin's actually aren't specified even though the font size and spacing are.

Margin's make big differences ;)

Saying that... 1800 - too obvious, 1600, passable. They won't think any worse of your work (note I avoid the term 'mark down' as HSC markers are looking to GIVE marks) if you are +-10% of 1500.

Now get back to work procrastinators.

diametric

HSC
RS is on 1618.. and I haven't even justified my title yet.
Kicking myself <_<

naisAtoN

Awesome Member
HSC
This crap is driving me insane. I can in no way cull down my entire years' worth of investigation, the writing process AS WELL AS REFLECTION into 1500 words. It just isn't happening. As much as I read examples from showcase / standards packages etc, I just seem unable to get mine to emulate that kind of... sharpness and to-the-point sophistication. (Although I estimated the word count of an exemplary example I read in the standards packages to be around 1800 words. :spzz: Unfair much?) I've also noticed so many people taking varied approaches, many not even appearing to really justify their titles, etc.

What the hell are they on, expecting us to be able to do this!? Cutting down the reflection statement is almost causing me as much stress as the entire process of writing did. :/

Last edited:

diametric

HSC
summarise summarise summarise.
dont try and detail your entire investigation.
main influences, really. the more important conventions, justify structure. purpose. audience. reflect as you go along, so your final reflection on the product only needs to be a few lines.

come on we can do this!
itll be over so so soon.

naisAtoN

Awesome Member
HSC
Currently have mine sitting at around 1600 but there was more I wanted to add. I may try and further summarise what I have so that I can add more stuff, and hopefully not go over around 1600...

I doubt it's going to stick out like a sore thumb being around 100 words over, but something like 300 over might be a bit of a stretch...

Therewego

HSC
hmm so I've got mine down to about 1663 words...I'm thinking I'll go down to about 1600 and that'll do...they can't seriously be TOO upset over 100 words if they even notice it...

i hope :p

tokso

HSC
DID YOU KNOW? Microsoft Word actually counts commas and apostrophes in the word count. just saying. its all about subtraction.

Duffman0

Kick ass, chew bubblegum.
HSC
DID YOU KNOW? Microsoft Word actually counts commas and apostrophes in the word count. just saying. its all about subtraction.
Are you kidding me? You're either an absolute idiot or a vindictive cuntbag who's trying to sabotage someone else's reflection statement to try and whittle down competition.

Word doesn't count punctuation as part of word count, just like any god-fearing four year old wouldn't, you ridiculous turd.

mackiavell

HSC
So many people are struggling with the word limit. :S
My word limit was fine for my Short Stories, and the Reflection Statement. I was able to say everything I wanted to say in both keeping within the limits... It makes me feel anxious and content at the same time!

mattspiteri92

HSC
Um do we have to write our word count for the major work and reflection statement (if we do critical)

Or do you just not write it?

icola

HSC
Word doesn't count punctuation as part of word count, just like any god-fearing four year old wouldn't, you ridiculous turd.

It actually counts full stops as a word. I just opened a blank document and did a full stop and the word count went to 1... Wow.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)