So unsw doesn't love you? (1 Viewer)

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
yeah lets be honest.. if this was iemma's or howard's mom.. they would have got it..

no rt-PA?
wow.. isnt BN 80933 still experimental with no clear guidelines??... and why didnt they administer it?.. cos i recall its up to 8 hrs?!? medically i am still not convinced that it would have helped..

i think with that its a tough call.. but interesting dilemma.. i still think u should just forget about the BA realli

bmwz4

HSC
i got rejected :(, the email was entitled UNSW Medicine Interview...damn them lmao! oh well i have other options :D:D

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
+Po1ntDeXt3r+ said:
yeah lets be honest.. if this was iemma's or howard's mom.. they would have got it..

no rt-PA?
wow.. isnt BN 80933 still experimental with no clear guidelines??... and why didnt they administer it?.. cos i recall its up to 8 hrs?!? medically i am still not convinced that it would have helped..

i think with that its a tough call.. but interesting dilemma.. i still think u should just forget about the BA realli
Who knows? Over 10 hours had elapsed by the time by grandma was admitted.

BA is a back up if totally f*d up yr 12 and have to do post-grad, if i screwed up one or two subjects i might just re do it at TAFE next year, but im quite confident i can get in to UNCLE or UWS next year if i do umat again.

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
oh icic.. yeah.. 10 hrs is horrendous...i waited 5 hrs in adelaide.. and mine was minor one. :)

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
magpam said:
damn that sucks :(

why is it so hard to get into med anyway? is it because everyone wants to do it? if so why?
in australia it is particularly hard..cos of the spots..

but its getting easier.. :)

ppl want to do it cos it sounds good.. and they have no idea what it realli like sometimes..

anonymus2003

Bored User
HSC
hey guys if u got a predicted uai of like 99, whats the chance that ull get an interview in january?, i mean theres little room to move on a uai in this case, and what would be the approximate you think was the cut off?, they say its been 175, do u think its higher this year than this? (for this predicted uai). and also since they seem to give preference to rural applicants, does that mean say if they get like 97 and umat like 165 are they given a higher ranking than someone who applied from NSW? with say 99 and 175?. also what is the process for access applicants?, if i got 99 with access and got like 170 am i screwed or do i have hope?.

Thanks.

Last edited:

Bacilli

Hypocritical gump
HSC
N/A
magpam said:
damn that sucks :(

why is it so hard to get into med anyway? is it because everyone wants to do it? if so why?
This is a good question magpam. Why are you people aiming for medicine?

Come on people start providing answers because this question will certainly be asked during your interview.

Bacilli

Hypocritical gump
HSC
N/A
+Po1ntDeXt3r+ said:
in australia it is particularly hard..cos of the spots..

but its getting easier.. :)

ppl want to do it cos it sounds good.. and they have no idea what it realli like sometimes..
That's exactly right pointdexter, I agree.
Last week I was eating at cafe near Central station, and these double degree (incl. med) students were sitting at a table wearing stethoscopes around their neck. Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but before you begin medicine at UNSW, you first complete the arts degree, or science degree? So, what are these idiots doing walking around with stethoscopes and white coats when they're currently studying mathematics, or philosophy etc…?

Such occurrences spark the following question; does the application and selection process require further criteria to sort the non-genuine prospective students, from the genuinely interested and keen prospective student who aim to advance the health care system while meeting the needs of the unwell? It pisses me off... first thing I’ll do after gaining admission to medicine is lobby to have the medical admission process and criteria analywed, and re-constructed. I can’t really do anything in regards to lobbying for changes at the moment though; no ones, especially those associated with medicine, will listen to a science student who seeks change in the selection process. :rofl:

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
no now they do the clinical skills.. to learn to use the tools in yr 1-2..

i mean not a bad thing..
but even i consciously take of name tag/tie and steth as soon as i leave the hospital..

when i was in yr 1-2 u used ure steth lik 2-3 times a week max
now its every day.. but some unis do it more than UNSW.. Umelb barely knew how to listen for heart murmurs at the end of yr 3

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
Bacilli said:
Last week I was eating at cafe near Central station, and these double degree (incl. med) students were sitting at a table wearing stethoscopes around their neck. Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but before you begin medicine at UNSW, you first complete the arts degree, or science degree? So, what are these idiots doing walking around with stethoscopes and white coats when they're currently studying mathematics, or philosophy etc…?
The vast majority of people in UNSW medicine do a straight medical degree - those like myself who do it combined with arts are something of an anomaly. I do a couple arts units this year, but I will do most of them in year 4 or 5. Most days of the week there will be a group of 1st/2nd years with a clinical session where they might need stethoscopes - though there is no need to wear them outside the hospital of course.

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
anonymus2003 said:
hey guys if u got a predicted uai of like 99, whats the chance that ull get an interview in january?, i mean theres little room to move on a uai in this case, and what would be the approximate you think was the cut off?, they say its been 175, do u think its higher this year than this? (for this predicted uai). and also since they seem to give preference to rural applicants, does that mean say if they get like 97 and umat like 165 are they given a higher ranking than someone who applied from NSW? with say 99 and 175?. also what is the process for access applicants?, if i got 99 with access and got like 170 am i screwed or do i have hope?.

Thanks.
If you missed out first-round interviews with a predicted uai of 99 it probably means you screwed umat up big time. There is a specific number/quota places out lined for rural students so you can't exactly compare yourself to a person who has used the rural students entry scheme.

They don't use ACCESS for first round interview offers. ACCESS applicant's will be given a boosted predicted uai max 5 bonus points if they don't make the initial interview, this new UAI determine's whether applicants can make the interview cut-off, if they can they will be given an interview.

Last edited:

bilgia

HSC
what if you put down a ENTER of 98? could that mean my umat was crap as? cos i didnt get an interview....or is it just that so many others applied with higher UAI's or ENTERs?

ssejamafone

Ninja?
HSC
N/A
apparently (yes, apparently) UNSW decided who to accept into interviews, by only deciding based on the UMAT results. By that i mean that, they disregarded the predicted UAI, and only used to UMAT to determine who would get an interview. (ie, best 370 umat results got into first round interviews)

Is this true? Because my friend told me this, and another friend told her this, and i'm not sure how that friend knows this. So, i'm not sure whether this is true or not....

But if it IS true, then maybe i didn't do so badly in the umat after all... :eek:

steff167

HSC
No UNSW definatly took into consideration predicted UAI and UMAT results... which is bad for all of us that didnt get an interview... yes im another who didnt get one... UNSW is overated for med anyway! everywhere else is just as good. How many people did they take into interviews for first round?

Rekkusu

Currently: Away
HSC
Lol UNSW probably has one of the hardest interviewing processes that I've seen across Australia.

But then again lol who'd travel all the way to W.A. or another state just to do Med...it's just way too much dedication.

Anyhow don't feel down, apply to UWS. From what I heard from some Med students and Sci students at UWS, apparently just going to a tutorial, you get marks for it!!! Unlike UNSW!!

Gosford

HSC
well i want to do medicine because it is a life long dream of mine.
I want to definately help people but the reason I feel i can help people better in this field than say food preperation (which I have done, and customers are grateful, i mean u r feeding them) or construction etc. is that I believ i possess several critical skills required for a doctor including leadership qualities, humbleness, hardworking, mautrity, willingness to improve, sympathetic nature, ethics etc.
Also my great interest in medicine (biology is by far and away my fav. subject in school) will be crucial in helpinbg me excel in the field of medicine. By enjoying what I do i will contribute 100%. (ie. I dont think i would in other careers, LOL)
Finally it is essentially a health related interest so if i dont get into medicine I'm considering podiatry, physio, chiropractor, pharmacist etc.
Oh and by the way im applying
1. Newcastle (I'm from gosford area)
2. UNSW
3. UWS
(end of NSW)
4. Monash
5. UTAS (i desperately want only 5 years)
6. Melbourne (LOL, probs hardest to get into)
7. Adelaide

For rest of NSW
Podiatry is next then pharmacy at Orange/Wagga Wagga

Then pharamacy at Monash, UTAS, Adelaide, Darwin Uni (NT)

So I'm dedicated

Last edited:

Bacilli

Hypocritical gump
HSC
N/A
I sincerely hope you gain admission Gosford, so let us know how you go. Btw, how'd you go in regards to UMAT?

Gosford

HSC
Thanks heap (i need all the hoping i can get LOL)
UMAT comes out in 2 days
AHHHHHHH!!!!
I'm freaking out!!!!
i know i didnt get 220 (if u got low UAI like me, you need some absurd scroe like 220 to get an interview qat UNSW)
LOL
170 is good enough at some uni's (like 2)
180-190 is my aim (most uni's have this range)
probs at least 150 (any lower than that and i'm going to appeal for a remark, LOL)

bilgia

HSC
im freakin out as well man....cant do much abt it lol
good luck to all....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)