So unsw doesn't love you? (1 Viewer)

shepwarp

HSC
clockwise said:
Umm the interview UMAT scores needed for UWS are like generally higher for scores needed for UNSW so i dont know why ppl are going on about "if i dont get in ill go to UWS"...try for Tasmania lol...if you did physics for your HSC your like bascially guaranteed an offer..i had a friend who got like 92 or something and UMAT 155 who got an offer...but no one i knew went cuz tasmania is a hole
clockwise said:
For Tasmania you have to go physics for your HSC but other than that no matter how sh*t your UMAT (even around 158) or UAI was your guaranteed a place. All my friends who did physics but didnt get intervierws anywehere else got offer from Tasmania...but nobody went...cuz tasmania is a hole.
LOL... personally I think that's pretty offensive.

Clearing up a few things... Chemistry and English are the prerequisites for UTAS... and it's not that easy to get into anyway. You need rawscores upwards of 50 in EACH section to be guaranteed a first round offer as well as a minimum TER of 95.

It's actually hard for interstate people to get a place at UTAS because our places are reserved for Tasmanians... most course advisers will recommend not even bothering applying for Tasmania, but for the few interstaters who do get through, it certainly isn't a hole. For starters it's green... and our uni is smaller and friendlier... the whole dynamic is different. You're not just a number... Added to that we have the 5 year MBBS course running here... so it's pretty sweet.

TBH, I'm hoping I can get into UTAS... it's not unheard of someone being accepted to UNSW and not even getting an offer to UTAS... it's just the way the cookie crumbles... UTAS place a greater emphasis on UMAT and look for a more balanced UMAT.

beentherdunthat

HSC
Gosford said:
well i want to do medicine because it is a life long dream of mine.
I want to definately help people but the reason I feel i can help people better in this field than say food preperation (which I have done, and customers are grateful, i mean u r feeding them) or construction etc. is that I believ i possess several critical skills required for a doctor including leadership qualities, humbleness, hardworking, mautrity, willingness to improve, sympathetic nature, ethics etc.
Also my great interest in medicine (biology is by far and away my fav. subject in school) will be crucial in helpinbg me excel in the field of medicine. By enjoying what I do i will contribute 100%. (ie. I dont think i would in other careers, LOL)
Finally it is essentially a health related interest so if i dont get into medicine I'm considering podiatry, physio, chiropractor, pharmacist etc.
Oh and by the way im applying
1. Newcastle (I'm from gosford area)
2. UNSW
3. UWS
(end of NSW)
4. Monash
5. UTAS (i desperately want only 5 years)
6. Melbourne (LOL, probs hardest to get into)
7. Adelaide

For rest of NSW
Podiatry is next then pharmacy at Orange/Wagga Wagga

Then pharamacy at Monash, UTAS, Adelaide, Darwin Uni (NT)

So I'm dedicated
Pharmacy @ Usyd??

flowergrl

HSC
Just out of curiosity, why do people want to go to UNSW medicine specifically? I've never heard of Newcastle medicine. Is that good? Why isn't it rumored to be one of the best??? and Why don't people put UWS for their first preference?

Actually, rephrase that.

Why did you, or do you still want to do medicine? (other than Gosford)

And what are you meant to answer for "What is your greatest fear?":worried: You can't say "fear of failing". Of course not spiders. Fear of spiritual dismemberment? Fear of losing sanity? I HAVE NO IDEA!

Last edited:

Gosford

HSC
beentherdunthat said:
Pharmacy @ Usyd??
thanx
but 1) it requires 95.15 UAI
And stat test
and i dont really want to do pharmacy (not as much as podiatry)
so if i miss podiatry (86 uai)
then def. no chance at sydney
maybe at orange
(thanx again)
u applyin at usyd?

aussiechica7

HSC
Newcastle's a great course, they were the first to implement PBL and self-directed learning in undergrad med schools- now they're all doing it :) Sydneysiders are just Sydney-centric so you might not have heard much about other NSW unis yet :p

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
LottoX said:
UWS has no reputation and the course is untested, UNCLE has a great reputation, great course, it's just far away, UNSW is decent for reputation, but it's in Sydney, so it's convenient.
UWS = melbourne course minus the adv med sci yr = 5 yrs..

dude.. UNSW is more untested than UWS course lolz

Sydney uni is the 2nd oldest course too for medicine..

UNCLE is in newcastle.. good PBL tho

Last edited:

billy_slater

HSC
Wooz said that u need 187 raw mark to get an interview at uws or something?

thats only if you dont live in the greater western sydney area. couple of my friends from last year got into med at uws with umats in the mid 160s.. but they live in greater western sydney. it hink cutoff last year was like 166 for gws??

Bacilli

Hypocritical gump
HSC
N/A
Who gives a flying fuck about reputation? If you're that keen on belonging to a school with a high, yet worthless reputation, apply to Harvard.

Bacilli

Hypocritical gump
HSC
N/A
bacilli said:
Who gives a flying fuck about reputation? If you're that keen on belonging to a school with a high, yet worthless reputation, apply to Harvard.
Don't be an arse man, gees.

Anyone considering paramedicine? I am considering as a preference for 2009.
Paramedic would be an awesome job, I think!

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
yeah they removed the massive research project that was 1 academic year

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)