So... who went to see the Harlos Production of King Lear at Bondi? (1 Viewer)

HSC
gottalovegatti said:
i liked it.
With regards to the influences, it was still set in the same places as the text.
The japanese setting is merely symbolic of the heirarchical order of the society in which they live, discipline etc

ICH NI SAN CHI GOH RUK HICH HATCH KU JU!
Loved the massive dildo...thaaaaaaat was funny
:rofl: I'm now looking forward to it.

spangacrab

HSC
The reason behind it all is just to continue the attention of HSC students for they realise for a younger generation, King Lear is very dull and monotinous, so they spice it up to appease us.

HSC
spangacrab said:
The reason behind it all is just to continue the attention of HSC students for they realise for a younger generation, King Lear is very dull and monotinous, so they spice it up to appease us.
Yeah. :uhhuh:

bassguy

HSC
Best bit = random silent film thingy with Kent

I think the main problem with this production was the lack of subtlety. There was a bit too much of "THIS IS WHAT'S HAPPENING!", with the little summaries at the beginning of some scenes. Similarly, the bit where Lear is mad and wearing the Fool's hat...

I thought it was good overall, the Japanese thing made it a bit more distinctive than some other productions. The Fool was really good as well.

sirsmelalot

HSC
Wow, I can't believe any of you guys liked it! My whole year (and all the teachers) thought it was really crap!
The actors weren't playing the parts that well, they were all saying their lines how they're MEANT to say them- not hot they would say them if they were the characters.
sorry, not ver articulate today. bacisally, they werent BEING the character.
and lear a pretty bad lear. he didnt even go crazy at the end!

bassguy

HSC
Yeah, that was the shittiest 'howl' I've ever heard.
Also he didn't get naked in the storm scene. It's supposed to be his absolute low point, where all his illusions are shattered. Didn't even get the outer robe off. Not even a fake cock to match Tom's. Disappointing, I think.

m0ofin

HSC
N/A
I didn't expect much from it at all, so found it somewhat enjoyable. It was just the length and time at which I had to watch it that was crap.

cb90

HSC
I read about the play in metro, it got rated 6/10, which... is pretty bad. The critic says the play was more directed to help HSC students get an idea of what King Lear was about, rather than having any particular viewpoint or anything substantial to say.

Theres a pretty good production of king lear in Melbourne though

HSC
I did enjoy it.
I'm still confused as to why they chose Japanese costuming; but overall it was good.

Lol @ the "over-exagerated genitalia".

m0ofin

HSC
N/A
The Japanese costuming was used to compare Lear's time to that of Japanese culture where their society is rigid and there are very clear lines of heirarchy and respect for elders. And probably also used to make it easier (or not) to see why Lear would have become so angry at Cordelia's reasoning.

dukey

HSC
Ok so our class went to see the play on Monday the 21st. Apart from feeling like the cheapest school there I thought the play was very well produced.

I have some wonderful notes on this production. If anyone wants them just holla!

m0ofin

HSC
N/A
Thanks, that's kind of you Dukey. Would you mind sending some my way?

stanli

HSC
lol..
u see a HUGE dildo
and i think that guys hates all the azns from sbhs

HSC
dukey said:
Ok so our class went to see the play on Monday the 21st. Apart from feeling like the cheapest school there I thought the play was very well produced.

I have some wonderful notes on this production. If anyone wants them just holla!
*Holla*

Muso7

HSC
hey i went and saw it on the 1st saturday i think.., i thought it was pretty good. The japanese costuming was a tad random but ok haha. I thought it was sortof hard to keep up with the actors changing characters all the time with this minimal piece of costume, i couldn't really remember which coloured cloak represented what.

Lol @ the "over-exagerated genitalia".
hahahha. at first i thought it was a mistake and that it was real which shocked me. and then i thought that it was deliberate but that it was real .. and then i'm like Ohh its a stocking.. ohh. And me and my friend agreed is was sortof wishful thinking. anyway , was that part really necessary?!!! SOOO random!

holla :D

Sabs

HSC
wow guys i cant believe u actually liked it - it was so boring tht evry1 fell asleep, and was basically unanimously hated by evry1 in my skool

oh if ur wondering abt the jap costumes, the director came out after the play and told us [for 40 minutes] - it was the japanese culture, its rigidities, structure and values is the closest thing in modern day context to the Elizabethan values.
he also said cos it was easy and cheap 2 change costume

HSC
So this production was a piece of shit. At least it might help me in my Essay for the course - we'll see.

Can someone explain how characters get shot when it is set in a time before guns existed? Stupid thing. The Japanese thing was incredibly stupid as well - why bother doing something if you aren't going to do it fully?

KriStyn*

HSC
i liked it... except lear should have been crazier during the storm, he seemed to hold back and i dont think it was a good representation of how mad he is meant to become...

gotta love poor tom n that giant ..............................PENISSS!!!!

clever idea to portray regan and goneril as dogz... how close 2 there true personailities!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)