So you think you want a motorcycle? (1 Viewer)

runoutofsleep

AUTISM IS NOT HOLLAND
HSC
yo quik

triumph demo day this sunday! ride the triumph of your dreams @ bikebiz granville. bookings essential, reply with your name + mobile & we'll call with details

quik.

HSC
Not allowed till 5th of jan 2010 ):

May go have a look see though

John McCain

Horse liberty
HSC
N/A
I have a letter published in this months edition of my favorite magazine, "Motorcycle Trader".

Previously I've had letters published in AMCN.

ay0_x

HSC
*invades thread* oh hai guys.

I read through the first few pages where SnowFox was looking for a motorbike and saw the advice you guys gave him; I need some too.

Nowww I'm not as hellbent on getting a road bike (I saw that someone told him to get a dirtie + put road tyres on it), because I know how shit they are if they fall down. I need something that's not going to fuck up just because it fell because I'm poor as. I'd look at postie bikes but they're so very... lame.

How much would it cost to replace the tyres on a dirtbike?

& suggestions for dirtbikes? Really only need it to commute to work (refuse to get a car so dont suggest it). Or suggestions for sturdy enough road bikes without shit fixings?

Alsooooooooo... ideas of what questions to ask when getting one? I know the obvious how many km's blablabla and any accidents/damage blablabla but is there anything else that should be asked? No one in my family or group of friends rides so they're useless.

walkahz

HSC
Get an XR. Preety sure you cant kill them no matter what you do. As for a set of road tyres I wouldnt think they would be more than $300 but not 100% on this.

Darnie

mad cunt
HSC
*invades thread* oh hai guys.

I read through the first few pages where SnowFox was looking for a motorbike and saw the advice you guys gave him; I need some too.

Nowww I'm not as hellbent on getting a road bike (I saw that someone told him to get a dirtie + put road tyres on it), because I know how shit they are if they fall down. I need something that's not going to fuck up just because it fell because I'm poor as. I'd look at postie bikes but they're so very... lame.

How much would it cost to replace the tyres on a dirtbike?

& suggestions for dirtbikes? Really only need it to commute to work (refuse to get a car so dont suggest it). Or suggestions for sturdy enough road bikes without shit fixings?

Alsooooooooo... ideas of what questions to ask when getting one? I know the obvious how many km's blablabla and any accidents/damage blablabla but is there anything else that should be asked? No one in my family or group of friends rides so they're useless.
You'd want a four stroke, maybe a honda or a suzuki.

Look for maybe an XR 250, XR 400, DR-Z 400.

Tyres would be anywhere between 200 and 500 dollars, depending on the brand.

You could go to a dealership and tell him your positon, they'd be happy to help,

also ask for a bike with no modifications. I bought a bike done up for racing, and its had its gear ratios and shit changed, and it makes for shit riding on the roads.

quik.

HSC
How tall are you?

Also any naked roadbike will survive a drop with minimal damage

Other people know dirtbikes better, as far as naked roadbikes go a couple models to look at are the vtr250, 250 bandit, balius, spada

ay0_x

HSC
" You could go to a dealership and tell him your positon, they'd be happy to help,

also ask for a bike with no modifications. I bought a bike done up for racing, and its had its gear ratios and shit changed, and it makes for shit riding on the roads."

Thanks. No modifications, so the bikes you already suggested... wouldn't have that problem if they were in original condition?

"How tall are you?

Also any naked roadbike will survive a drop with minimal damage

Other people know dirtbikes better, as far as naked roadbikes go a couple models to look at are the vtr250, 250 bandit, balius, spada"

I'm 167 cm.

Ty for the suggestions with the naked roadbikes. aren't bandits hell expensive though?

quik.

HSC
With your height I would imagine dirtbikes may be a bit of a reach, although like I said others know more than I do

Depends on what you classify as expensive

I paid 5.5k for an 04 vtr250 with 20k on it at end of 06 or start of 07

Was a little more than I wanted to spend but it was a bargain at the time and I don't regret it, great bike to hoon around on

There are decade old vtr's out and about now which should defo be on the cheap side of the spectrum, and along with the bandit were considered the 'premium' nakeds when I was looking

Sifting through the ads should see something pop up at a reasonable/bargain price

ay0_x

HSC
Do you have any suggestions for the oldest acceptable bike in terms of the naked road bikes?

quik.

HSC
Provided the bike itself is in sound mechanical condition and parts are readily available, age wouldn't really factor into it

I mean if you get something reeeeaaaally old that's been sitting in someones garage for a decade or more then you'd wanna replace seals and oils and etc but ukno

Conversely you get get something from last year that someone has thrashed the shit out of and is on its last legs

What is your budget?

John McCain

Horse liberty
HSC
N/A
You are doing heaps better than snowfox already. Stick with the dirtbike, it's really the way to go.

KLR250's are very low to the ground, you'd have no problem, and an excellent road/trail.

XR250, TTR250, DR250, all superb. Budget $2500-3000 and you'll get something excellent.

There are a million things that could be wrong with it, dirt bikes need relatively more maintenance, and are usually thrashed and neglected more, a bad combination. An inspection is money well spent if you're not absolutely sure about what you're buying.

ay0_x

HSC
My budget is about $4000: I really do NOT want to spend too much on a first bike (which is the advice of just about motorbike website I've viewed). I'm bound to upgrade in a few year's time as my budet + tastes change.

"
KLR250's are very low to the ground, you'd have no problem, and an excellent road/trail.

XR250, TTR250, DR250, all superb. Budget $2500-3000 and you'll get something excellent.

There are a million things that could be wrong with it, dirt bikes need relatively more maintenance, and are usually thrashed and neglected more, a bad combination. An inspection is money well spent if you're not absolutely sure about what you're buying."

--
Regarding an inspection how would I go about getting one? Anyone have any tips for someone in Sydney? (For the inspection money's not really an issue because I know how important it is)

quik.

HSC
Get bike to mechanics > fill them in > ask for inspection

Would be my guess

There are mobile services as well iirc, or you could rope a knowledgeable friend into tagging along (provided they know their shit)

Does the 4k include gear/rego/insurance?

ay0_x

HSC
Get bike to mechanics > fill them in > ask for inspection

Would be my guess

There are mobile services as well iirc, or you could rope a knowledgeable friend into tagging along (provided they know their shit)

Does the 4k include gear/rego/insurance?
Ahkay well I'm kind of opting more for mobile services since I do want it inspected before I actually cough up cash.

Budget includes rego but not gear or insurance

yuri_gagarin

Banned
HSC
i will sell you my 05 TTR250 for $3000
3400kms, good motor, not ridden too hard
renthal bars, 2 month old michelins
10 months rego

yeah

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)