socail cultural and historical contexts of blade runner and frankenstein (1 Viewer)

curlygirl93

HSC
heyy i have things for each of the 3 facets of context but i don't know if they are in the right spot, i think they can be place in more then one aswell?

Social- for F-emergence of capitalism, industrial revolution,
- for BR-globalisation, industrial society
Cultural- gothic and sci fi themes, feministic ideas (for both)
Historical- scientific discoveries

thanksss

curlygirl93

HSC
hmmmm ok, its not one of my main points,, i shall go forth and research haha

brendroid

HSC
That might be good :)

There was a Modules seminar for Advanced a couple of weeks ago - there was a talk on Frankenstein and Blade Runner. Did you go?

curlygirl93

HSC
Capitalism as a system developed incrementally from the 16th century in Europe,[8] although capitalist-like organizations existed in the ancient world, and early aspects of merchant capitalism flourished during the Late Middle Ages.[9][10][11] Capitalism became dominant in the Western world following the demise of feudalism.[11] Capitalism gradually spread throughout Europe, and in the 19th and 20th centuries, it provided the main means of industrialization throughout much of the world.

we have included it in our work on F because it is about the individuals pursuit for more. It fits in with the industrial revolution as it was a major factor that increased the gap between the 'unwashed masses' and the 'owners of the means of production'. VF shows this in his selfish plight for personal 'immortality' as he doesn't care for the creation

curlygirl93

HSC
naaa didn't should have though. we went to a skryznecki one a couple of weeks ago tho? haha

brendroid

HSC
Those do sound like strong points :)

We looked at it more through the Englightenment ideals of individuality and controlling nature, empirical science and what not, with the Romantic reactionary movement that was all about nature and that kind of stuff.

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC
Capitalism as a system developed incrementally from the 16th century in Europe,[8] although capitalist-like organizations existed in the ancient world, and early aspects of merchant capitalism flourished during the Late Middle Ages.[9][10][11] Capitalism became dominant in the Western world following the demise of feudalism.[11] Capitalism gradually spread throughout Europe, and in the 19th and 20th centuries, it provided the main means of industrialization throughout much of the world.

we have included it in our work on F because it is about the individuals pursuit for more. It fits in with the industrial revolution as it was a major factor that increased the gap between the 'unwashed masses' and the 'owners of the means of production'. VF shows this in his selfish plight for personal 'immortality' as he doesn't care for the creation
I fail to see how that is a link between those two things. Other than that, I think your themes fit well with context.

Jessie12

HSC
i'm making notes on frankenstein. i need to write 1 page on each social, political and historical context.

with direct evidence from the text (max of 5 examples)

identify technique used in quote and connect to context, themes and values.

I DON'T KNOW WHERE TO START!!!

someone please help me!!

lychnobity

HSC
i'm making notes on frankenstein. i need to write 1 page on each social, political and historical context.

with direct evidence from the text (max of 5 examples)

identify technique used in quote and connect to context, themes and values.

I DON'T KNOW WHERE TO START!!!

someone please help me!!
Well, pick a few relevant angles you can approach social/political/historical contexts for each text from.

Then flip through and find a few examples; identify some techniques.

Then link to themes/values

ie practically all the info you'll need to write an essay

gesh17

HSC
N/A
heyy i have things for each of the 3 facets of context but i don't know if they are in the right spot, i think they can be place in more then one aswell?

Social- for F-emergence of capitalism, industrial revolution,
- for BR-globalisation, industrial society
Cultural- gothic and sci fi themes, feministic ideas (for both)
Historical- scientific discoveries

thanksss
I don't know if it's been mentioned already but the essential societal milieu of Frankenstein revolves around the Romantic movement and its fascination with the sublimity of nature, being overcome by the strict rationality of the Age of Enlightenment. Basically, Romantics were all about living ambitiously and freely but with the Age of Enlightenment, an insatiable thirst for knowledge began to develop and permeate mankind and human science. Victor Frankenstein is personally the embodiment and subsequent warning as to what will occur when the two opposing ideals confront and collide together. Personally, that is the main contextual concern of Frankenstein.

As for Blade Runner, your points are pretty good but I would also add that unlike Frankenstein, Blade Runner was born of a somewhat laissez-faire world that was becoming disengaged from institutionalized religious structures such as Christendom while Frankenstein, on the other hand, was only just beginning to challenge the notion of a divine creator.

I'm not really sure "feministic" ideas are of great significance in either text - personally I think its a bit more peripheral to the contextual concerns above; especially in Blade Runner.

But anyway, I hope my ranting helps a little :D.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)