Soccer Thread : 2004-05 (5 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DRAGONZ

You've Got A Friend
HSC
LMF^^ said:
Just heard on Sportz Tonight, Batistuta goin to Perth...? Damn...
The Glory? Whoa, that's awesome!

Sydney FC vs Perth Glory = Dwight Yorke vs Gabriel Batistuta

That match is at Aussie Stadium on November 19, 2005. I am SO there!

Benny_

Elementary Penguin
HSC
I'm a little sceptical of all these has beens coming here. Sure they're good to give it some much needed publicity, but in the end you have to wonder if they're here to play football. It seems a lot like they're just here for 1 last big contract to me. Oh well, we'll soon see I guess.

DRAGONZ

You've Got A Friend
HSC
Well that's the thing. Bringing Yorke in on 500k a season means that you can't have an extra four or five young local players.

In a sense, I guess that detracts from the game in Australia, as local players aren't getting opportunities.

However, because this is the start of the A-League and positive publicity is desperately needed, signing Batistuta should be a positive. While it will hurt in the short run, in the long run it should be of benefit to the concept of the A-League.

Which leads me to conclude that in the end, they may eventually phase out the "One marquee player per team" idea. Because in the end, we are aiming to give Australian players recognition in a high quality league. Yorke and Batistuta, and the foreign coaches, will bring an air of professionalism and 'quality' to the A-League for the time being.

matt#1

HSC
N/A
LMF^^ said:
Just heard on Sportz Tonight, Batistuta goin to Perth...? Damn...
I think it said on sports tonight that Batistuta is simply considering a move to Perth...I don't think he is actually going to play for Perth Glory because he said that he has retired. Please correct me if I am wrong.

slip

HSC
DRAGONZ said:
Well that's the thing. Bringing Yorke in on 500k a season means that you can't have an extra four or five young local players.

In a sense, I guess that detracts from the game in Australia, as local players aren't getting opportunities.

However, because this is the start of the A-League and positive publicity is desperately needed, signing Batistuta should be a positive. While it will hurt in the short run, in the long run it should be of benefit to the concept of the A-League.

Which leads me to conclude that in the end, they may eventually phase out the "One marquee player per team" idea. Because in the end, we are aiming to give Australian players recognition in a high quality league. Yorke and Batistuta, and the foreign coaches, will bring an air of professionalism and 'quality' to the A-League for the time being.
clubs can have a maximum of 20 players, 3 of which must be under 20yrs old and one of which may be payed outside the 2 million dollar salary cap if the player statisfy the criteria of a marquee player.

dwight yorke, zelic, qu and batistuta if he came are all marquee players. hence whatever they are payed does not impact on the wages of other players and signing them only takes 1 place away from anyone else as there wages could only be used to pay one more player due to the 20 player max rule. Finally i would say that there experience is one of the reasons they are signed (so they can help the younger guys) and as such if they did not sign it would still be an older player that wins the final contract not a youth player.

and plenty of locals have opportunities, we want a high quality leage, there are hundreds of australians over seas, and then 7 lots of 20 players in the a-league much more and the league would lack quality.

marque players have short term benefit (the publicity) and long term benefit (improving our youth and the level of the league forcing australians to raise there game to there levels)

marque players may be phased out (and if not phased out then significantly increased salary caps) when the league has established a large supporter base and it is demonstrated by the clubs that they can run at a profit.

you cant give australian players much recognition in a high quality league if its only australians cause it wont be such a high quality league. we should be aiming to attract some top players from asia, south america and africa to play in the a-league, because if hgihly talanted players like this want to play in our league it will make australians raise there games, and help the developement of youth in this country as the clubs seek to use the players they have signed to help develope the next generation.

oh and about players coming to australia to pick up a final large pay check, in the terms of what they earn in europe and what they could earn in the UAE which is even more australia is offering no money. 500k is what dwight yorke would have earnt in a month or 2 at man utd. anyone that comes to australia and not the uae (argueably a league or similar quality but paying higher then the best european teams) is here to play.

Last edited:

Benny_

Elementary Penguin
HSC
I think what we should be aiming for is some sort of J-League like model where instead of signing former superstars, we sign younger talent that didn't quite make the cut to Europe. They'd be a lot hungrier, and so long as we have a variety of players from around the world, will bring a lot of extra flavour to the league.

blackfriday

Pezzonovante
HSC
i thought that was what they are doing anyway. the only 'marquee' players so far have really been zelic and yorke because the rest weren't going to get a game in europe anyway.

HSC
blackfriday said:
i thought that was what they are doing anyway. the only 'marquee' players so far have really been zelic and yorke because the rest weren't going to get a game in europe anyway.
Are you talking about the league in general or one or two specific clubs? So many players have been signed from European teams who were playing week in and week out - Muscat and Archie Thompson being two examples. There are probably at least 10 or 15 players that came back, and probably took a massive pay cut, just to play regular football and try to get back in the Australian side.

I just pray that we don't become like Qatar and be known as a "Retirement Payoff for Grey Haired Football Veterans." :p

@jim_green - Look at Melbourne and the major Youth signings they have been able to pull off.

LMF^^

(m==)m
HSC
N/A
jim_green said:
I think what we should be aiming for is some sort of J-League like model where instead of signing former superstars, we sign younger talent that didn't quite make the cut to Europe. They'd be a lot hungrier, and so long as we have a variety of players from around the world, will bring a lot of extra flavour to the league.
I believe the J-League did start off by signin old superstarz.

RUB!X

Bergkamp 10
HSC
well where not gonna get any more foregin marquee players to come here coz as soon as der here they get injured, if the tackling keeps going the way it is der wont be anyone left ... there should be harsher penalties on bad/dangerous tackling ...

HBK_9

ThE sHoWsToPPa
HSC
lol r u srs

theres no way batistuta will come to australia

the only way that would happen would be if an a-league club offered batistua big $$$

anyway on the a-league it will take alot of time to establish itself and the 1 city, 1 team is fucked

the next 5-10 years will be very bleak in terms of australian football so in the meantime my motto is:

FUK THE A-LEAGUE

RUB!X

Bergkamp 10
HSC
no ... batistuta is only coming to perth to possibly live here with his new family, he has indefenetely retired from all forms of football ...

slip

HSC
HBK_9 said:
anyway on the a-league it will take alot of time to establish itself and the 1 city, 1 team is fucked

the next 5-10 years will be very bleak in terms of australian football so in the meantime my motto is:

FUK THE A-LEAGUE
yes your definately on of the people that believe that football in this country should be based on enthinicity.

well hate to break it to you but enthnic based clubs deters the other 90% of people that dont belong to that ethnic group from supporting football. its basically very unprofitable on a national level.

and the old comp had only 2 teams that were profitable perth and adelaide neither of which were based on enthnic back grounds and both were 1 team 1 city. every other club all of whom except for brisbane and newcastle were based on enthic clubs failed.

1 team 1 city will work if it manages to attract people like it has show it can in the cases of perth and adeliade. enthic football has had its day, football needs to be come a sport for all australians not just the ethnics.

football looks to have a very bright future in the next 5 to 10 years. confed cup, best chance at the world cup in years, club world championship, asian champions league, asian cup etc.

DRAGONZ

You've Got A Friend
HSC
Firstly, HBK_9, one city/one team is the second best thing that has happened to soccer in Australia for a long time. And while I'm European, I can freely admit that the best thing to happen is getting rid of all the Wogs in Soccer Australia's management who had their own agendas ahead of properly managing the game we all love and want to see thrive in Australia.

slip said:
football looks to have a very bright future in the next 5 to 10 years. confed cup, best chance at the world cup in years, club world championship, asian champions league, asian cup etc.
Hehe. Chances are we'll find a way to screw up the world cup part. We've done it twive in a row now. But I guess the saying does go "Third time lucky".

Do you guys know how fit Kewell and Viduka will be for the qualifiers? Or are they fit enough to play the friendly against NZ?

Benny_

Elementary Penguin
HSC
Souness has done some decent things as a manager. He brought Blackburn out of relegation and gave them their best league position since they won the thing 10 years odd ago, won titles with what was a pretty poor Rangers side, with Galatasaray (sp?) as well. Although according to FourFourTwo he once had Deco in his team when he had first come from Brazil, subbed him on, and back off again with in 5 minutes because he wasn't English. lolz.

AcStyle*

Believe in Desire
HSC
Congratz to CSKA Moscow, the 2005 UEFA Cup winners & the first Russian club to win a European trophy. CSKA were down 1-0 at half-time but scored 3 goals in 18mins in the second half to win the cup.

Final score from Lisbon:
Sporting 1 - 3 CSKA

slip

HSC
australia has stuffed it up more then two times running

02 uraguay first leg 1-0 second leg 0-3

98 iran first leg 1-1 second leg 2-2 after leading 2-0 with 15 to go

94 argentina frist leg 1-1 second leg 0-2

thats 3 times straight we didnt qualify 90, 86, 82 or 78

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 5)