• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Soccer Thread : 2004-05 (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Arsenal won't make it past the QF, as usual and despite all the so called lessons. If they can't get win convincingly against a PSV without any forwards (Kezman, Rommadahl, Robben), and only draw against the likes of Rosenburg, they're clearly not going to go well against the big European teams :D

Best in England - possibly, a joke in Europe - definitely.

Last edited:

HeCtic

Dutchie
HSC
flyin' said:

Seeing as though Chavski's trophy cabinet is just bulging with CL trophies now eh? What about all their many League titles?

I can't see how we're a joke in Europe, we've sold out every away game we play in, the people in Norway were calling that the biggest game in Norweigan football and that they could've sold their stadium out 5 times over for Arsenal. It's no wonder they're players were so up for it and even though we played badly Henry and co missed some absolute sitters. Big club, people everywhere want to see. Joke in Europe, my hole.

If anything spending 112million(?) and winning jack squat is more of a joke than Real Madrid these days.

About "possibly" being the best in England, pfft. 48 games now eh? More trophies than any other domestic side over the past three seasons? Says it all really.

Oh and in other news Arsenal just signed a £100m deal with Emirates for naming rights and shirt sponsorship. Hah! If we can rape all of England when we're meant to be broke, give Wenger some money and we'll see how he goes.

Constip8edSkunk

Joga Bonito
HSC
flyin' said:
Arsenal won't make it past the QF, as usual and despite all the so called lessons. If they can't get win convincingly against a PSV without any forwards (Kezman, Rommadahl, Robben), and only draw against the likes of Rosenburg, they're clearly not going to go well against the big European teams :D

nah a better joke is that arsenal having the shortest odds to win the ECL at sportstab the last time i checked

HeCtic said:
Seeing as though Chavski's trophy cabinet is just bulging with CL trophies now eh? What about all their many League titles?

I can't see how we're a joke in Europe, we've sold out every away game we play in, the people in Norway were calling that the biggest game in Norweigan football and that they could've sold their stadium out 5 times over for Arsenal. It's no wonder they're players were so up for it and even though we played badly Henry and co missed some absolute sitters. Big club, people everywhere want to see. Joke in Europe, my hole.

If anything spending 112million(?) and winning jack squat is more of a joke than Real Madrid these days.

About "possibly" being the best in England, pfft. 48 games now eh? More trophies than any other domestic side over the past three seasons? Says it all really.

Oh and in other news Arsenal just signed a £100m deal with Emirates for naming rights and shirt sponsorship. Hah! If we can rape all of England when we're meant to be broke, give Wenger some money and we'll see how he goes.
No one is denying that arsenal had been the the best side in the premier league recently, but the fact remains that arsenal still do not have a european silverware in ur trophy cabinet

Last edited:

braad

so dead yeah?
HSC
i dun like arsenal, but gotta admit they're good, good enuff to win sumthing shiny this season or the next...but they havent yet...im jus a jealous Liverpool supporter :p

reno2004

Retired Member - 1/12/04
HSC
N/A
Arsenal are a good team, but they lack wat is needed for the ECL. english teams neva go that well because the style of play is different and the continental teams are able to nullify the english style of soccer.

LMF^^

(m==)m
HSC
N/A
reno2004 said:
Arsenal are a good team, but they lack wat is needed for the ECL. english teams neva go that well because the style of play is different and the continental teams are able to nullify the english style of soccer.
Chelsea went close last yr. If it wasn't fo Ranieri's tactical stuff up in Monaco they probably would've won it.

Benny_

Elementary Penguin
HSC
I don't think Chelsea will win. They haven't been tested by any of the real contenders (Milan, Barca, Valencia, Juve, Arsenal, Utd now that Rio's back and maybe Inter this year), so it's too early to say how far they'll get. I do believe though that if they do come up against one of those sides I mentioned, the only ones they may prevail against will be Inter and Utd. Good to see Duff back in Mourinho's plans though.

dirty dave

Banned
HSC
N/A
I think theres too much chance and too little difference in class in the top tier to say which club cannot win.Chelsea can easily beat any team that was mentioned, and vice versa. Look at the finalist last year, monca was outplayed by chelsea, and porto should have lost to utd
As for arsenal...their style is good against inferior teams

Seraph

Now You've done it.......
HSC
N/A
Of course Chelsea is not going to win shit this season , you cant just buy a whole bunch of good players , throw them together and expect for perfect amalgamation

I think even Ashley cole was talking about it in an interview that the reason for Arsenal's success is that all the players know each other , knwo how each other play etc.. and theres only a few newcomers....

bennynoel

HeCtic said:

Wow, if Arsenal can sell out a stadium 5 times over in Norway they must be awesome. Arsenal's ability to sell tickets does not mean anything when it comes to being able to impress in Europe, something that they haven't done, and don't look like doing this season either. 1-0 against PSV, and 1-1 all against Rosenberg is shit, especially seeing as the goal against PSV was an own goal.

As for 48 games unbeaten, that's only because some shit striker couldn't convert a penalty, namely Van Nistelrooy

braad

so dead yeah?
HSC
was the last time Arse lost against Leeds? was it that long ago?

reno2004

Retired Member - 1/12/04
HSC
N/A
is kewell going to be available for the aussie's match against solomons? cause i heard he was injured AGAIN. bloody loser

HeCtic

Dutchie
HSC
bennynoel said:
Wow, if Arsenal can sell out a stadium 5 times over in Norway they must be awesome. Arsenal's ability to sell tickets does not mean anything when it comes to being able to impress in Europe, something that they haven't done, and don't look like doing this season either. 1-0 against PSV, and 1-1 all against Rosenberg is shit, especially seeing as the goal against PSV was an own goal.

As for 48 games unbeaten, that's only because some shit striker couldn't convert a penalty, namely Van Nistelrooy

A clubs ability to impress can be measured in it's reputation and as a side to that their ability to get bums on seats is a big indication of that. So they struggled to break down 10 defenders at Highbury and in an away game against a team playing the biggest match of their careers doesn't indicate anything to me. We've been playing shit for a month or so and no-one's been able to beat us yet. Trophies aren't won in October, I wouldn't be surprised to see Arsenal go further than ever in Europe as we're actually in a better position after two games than we've ever been in recent memory. 4 points after two games, and top of the group. Couldn't ask for more than that at this stage.

As for Ruud's penalty miss, that'd be his own fault and seeing it was a very very jammy penalty in the first place I say suck shit. We went a whole season unbeaten and one penalty miss is the luck you need for something like that.

Manyoo would never have won the treble if Bergkamp hadn't missed that penalty at Villa Park, but you won't see Arsenal fans begrudging that achievement. Ruud missed we broke Cloughie's record and look like making it unreachable for the near future.

eyebrowman

HSC
yeh apparently kewell is injred again..there was a bit on it in ht enews..
anyone read the tele today? apparently its all a stunt by keweell cause he wants to promote and sell dvd's and prove his 'patriotism' of actually showing up in aus/

oct 24th arsenal vs man u? woohoo

LMF^^

(m==)m
HSC
N/A
Theres no point in blamin Van Nistelrooy for Arsenal's record unbeaten run, they've played some of the best stuffs last season and is still playin some of the best stuffs in England. But as a non-Arsenal fan myself I would like to see them beaten soon, hopefully against Man U. LoL

As for going back to missed chances, you can prob say Man U would not have won the trebel in 99 had Bergkamp converted the penalty in the FA Cup semi, and remember also Man U prob might not have won the flag in 2003 had Ryan Giggs scored in the FA Cup quarter final in Old Trafford. What comes around goes around, you need those types of things to win trophies.

bennynoel

I only blamed Van Nistelrooy because I hate him just as much as I hate Arsenal.

dirty dave

Banned
HSC
N/A
HeCtic said:
A clubs ability to impress can be measured in it's reputation and as a side to that their ability to get bums on seats is a big indication of that. So they struggled to break down 10 defenders at Highbury and in an away game against a team playing the biggest match of their careers doesn't indicate anything to me. We've been playing shit for a month or so and no-one's been able to beat us yet. Trophies aren't won in October, I wouldn't be surprised to see Arsenal go further than ever in Europe as we're actually in a better position after two games than we've ever been in recent memory. 4 points after two games, and top of the group. Couldn't ask for more than that at this stage.
psv and rosenberg qualify for champions cup almost every year, so I doubt that they are playing the biggest match of their career. :)
as for Arsenal winning in Erope, i dont think they have the right tactics/mentality.
The only impressive win they had against a "big" club was inter, and even just look at their results in the PL...they were lucky to get two draws again manu, and against Chelsea they never dominate the match despit the result.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)