• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Soccer Thread : 2004-05 (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LMF^^

(m==)m
HSC
N/A
HeCtic said:
That article relies on a lot of inference and innuendo. Nothing really spectacular there. Doesn't really tell me anything.
Perhapz, but it doez have a point.
I agree that Liverpool should've made him the offer much earlier, if that waz the case then none of thiz would have happened.

HeCtic

Dutchie
HSC
LMF^^ said:
Perhapz, but it doez have a point.
I agree that Liverpool should've made him the offer much earlier, if that waz the case then none of thiz would have happened.
How exactly does he know Liverpool didn't offer him a deal earlier? Maybe Gerrard and his agent(s) had this planned all along.

That article pretty much tries to paint Liverpool as being in the wrong over this saga, neglecting anything done by agents and the player himself.

LMF^^

(m==)m
HSC
N/A
Pretty ez to blame the club, cauz Gerrard stated he wanted to stay after the Championz League final. Yeah maybe Gerrard just expected too much, didn't feel the amount of love he wanted at the club.

Crazy Horse

HSC
LFM^^ - Rafa has never stated that he would like to build a team around one member at prior clubs but at Liverpool – he keeps reinforcing the idea that he wishes to do so with Gerrard. Interestingly enough Gerrard and Rafa have had quite a few arguments throughout the season over games and approaches – there was a severe argument over Gerrards attitude at one point. If Gerrards statements that his been “driven out of the club for the money” are true then it would make sense that Benitez is putting the whole “I wish to keep Steven here for life” front.
It would be better for the manager and club officials to make it appear like he choose to betray us and leave even though they begged him to stay…Otherwise can you imagine the reactions of the fans after discovering their club and manager sold their world class captain even though he wished to stay especially considering his a born and breed Liverpudlian and the majority of Pool fans love him?

I do think that the agents would have obviously played a major part in this - his with the same agency that dealt with Owen and Beckham. They will be getting a fair amount from this so…

Last edited:

HeCtic

Dutchie
HSC
LMF^^ said:
Pretty ez to blame the club, cauz Gerrard stated he wanted to stay after the Championz League final. Yeah maybe Gerrard just expected too much, didn't feel the amount of love he wanted at the club.
Yeah that must be it :rolleyes: . Have you thought that maybe Gerrard lied after the Champions League final, or maybe was too caught up in his emotions to issue a no-comment.

Apparently Benitez said earlier that they tried to talk to him during the season about extending his deal, but Stevie and his agent wanted to wait till the season was finished. Rather gullible of them. No way they're getting 32 million now, for a player who wants to leave the club and with only two seasons left on his contract.

Crazy Horse

HSC
HeCtic said:
Similarly Florentino Perez and Kenyon seem to have an agreement where they would not both go for the same players in order to keep prices reasonable. I think Gerrard already knows where he wants to go now and the buying club in question know the price they're willing to pay. Liverpool is pretty much being raped in the tranfer market.
They both want Stevie - so how are they going to decide who should go after him and who shouldn't?
Chelsea's already made an offer and apparently Real's going to make an offer within the next couple of days...

copious

Linbo rox my sox
HSC
I really cant see him going to Chelsea, he'll be up for more taunts than Lee Bowyer in an Asian restaurant. But stranger things have happened, however I reckon in the back of his mind he would want to join the Galactico's considering their current crop of stars are ageing.

slip

HSC
last i heard chelsea are the only club willing and able to pay 30 million. real madrid think he is over-priced and man utd wouldnt have a chance of matching chelsea.

as a chelsea supporter i would love to see gerrard in a chelsea shirt this season, even with a trade ban from the G14 chelsea would be unstopable in all competitions. Lampard, Duff, Gerrard, Robben, Terry, Cech is that back bone of a brilliant team for at least 5 years, and Chelsea havent bought that many players from G14 clubs.

other thing is G14 clubs could be shooting themselves in the foot, chelsea is a pot of money, when they buy one big player from your club you can afford to buy a number of decent players elsewhere. plus some players may be willing to wait for a free transfer to go to chelsea. another point is the number of awesome players chelsea have and now the G14 clubs wont be able to sign them. all of that and chelsea have good a relationship with AC Milan.

back to gerrard, as a epl supporter I dont want him to go to chelsea, I would rather we had some competition, so my preference is that he goes to man utd. but still id be happy to see him in our new adidas strip this season.

Benny_

Elementary Penguin
HSC
I don't know why you guys think Gerrard will go for anything less than £35ish. Just because Gerrard decided to speak out his intention to leave, it doesn't necessarily mean his market value will drop any. Remember Ronaldo's transfer to Madrid? That was a guy crippled by injury who hadn't played for Inter for yonks, and it was still 29mil in the end. Factor in Chelsea and I think you'll find we won't lose out too badly. What I'm more concerned with is what Rafa will be able to do with the money. We need Ballack at the least.

Crazy Horse

HSC
Well after a good night sleep - I’m feeling better and not as upset about the whole thing. I’m much more gutted about Gerrard leaving than Owen but I’m no-where near as gutted about Gerrard as I was about Fowler leaving.

Gerrard’s released a statement claiming:

"The last six weeks have been the toughest of my life," he informed Sky Sports News. "The decision I have come to has been the hardest decision I have ever had to make.

"I fully intended to sign a new contract after the Champions League final but the events of the past five or six weeks have changed all that.

"I have too much respect for the club and the people at it to get involved in a slanging match."

Anyways like I said yesterday – All the best Stevie. You helped us many times and gave us great memories that won’t be forgotten by many of us fans.

Crazy Horse

HSC
Benny_ said:
What I'm more concerned with is what Rafa will be able to do with the money. We need Ballack at the least.
I mentioned a few pages earlier that I thought Ballack was great and Man U would be lucky to get him - I think he would be good to go after for us as well.

I'm sure Rafa will put the money to good use but I'm concerned about the fact that we only have one Englishman in our starting XI now!

I don't know if anyone's mentioned this - Benitez claimed his got 2/3 more signings to complete in the next couple of days but Evra won't be one of them. Our bid for him got knocked back...

Constip8edSkunk

Joga Bonito
HSC
slip said:
last i heard chelsea are the only club willing and able to pay 30 million. real madrid think he is over-priced and man utd wouldnt have a chance of matching chelsea.

as a chelsea supporter i would love to see gerrard in a chelsea shirt this season, even with a trade ban from the G14 chelsea would be unstopable in all competitions. Lampard, Duff, Gerrard, Robben, Terry, Cech is that back bone of a brilliant team for at least 5 years, and Chelsea havent bought that many players from G14 clubs.

other thing is G14 clubs could be shooting themselves in the foot, chelsea is a pot of money, when they buy one big player from your club you can afford to buy a number of decent players elsewhere. plus some players may be willing to wait for a free transfer to go to chelsea. another point is the number of awesome players chelsea have and now the G14 clubs wont be able to sign them. all of that and chelsea have good a relationship with AC Milan.

back to gerrard, as a epl supporter I dont want him to go to chelsea, I would rather we had some competition, so my preference is that he goes to man utd. but still id be happy to see him in our new adidas strip this season.
lol i think the chelsea - milan friendship has soured somewhat when chelsea kept trying to offer 75mil for sheva.... again and again, despite rejections... and trying to wrench crespo back to stamford bridge against his wishes...

gerrard wouldnt goto chelsea for the same reason that none of the top strikers were sold to chelsea... man utd are unlikely to be able to afford gerrard, gerrard shouldnt goto real, just because its real (and how their galacticos are managed... hopefully owen might tell him to look elsewhere)... so come to milan, gerrard...we got money left to spend since the gilardino deal appears to be off after we signed vieri....and berlusconi can match abramovic's buying power anyday (but much less wasteful) :D

HeCtic

Dutchie
HSC
Alwayz Diana said:
They both want Stevie - so how are they going to decide who should go after him and who shouldn't?
Chelsea's already made an offer and apparently Real's going to make an offer within the next couple of days...
Gerrard has probably made up his own mind already.

HeCtic

Dutchie
HSC
@slip. Chelsea now have a business reputation akin to a Lebo drug dealer.

None of the big clubs wanna touch em with a stick after their tapping up shite, stiffing on the Kaladze deal last minute, sacking Mutu and then wanting compo etc. Why would they want to make your side stronger anyway seeing as though any transfer fee spent won't impede on future spending.

Crazy Horse

HSC
HeCtic said:
Gerrard has probably made up his own mind already.
haha - true. I guess I wasn't thinking too straight last night.

Personally if I was a player I wouldn’t want to head to Real unless they fixed up their act but that doesn’t look to be happening anytime soon. Their policy on constantly bringing the big name players has got to change – they have to allow their players to settle into a rhythm and stop changing their managers after 10games. They play like a group of talented individuals but not like a brilliant team. That’s something Chelsea have and that’s why they are so great to watch. If he heads to either Chelsea or Real he’ll be paid extremely well but the Chelski players seem to be extremely happy there, much more than the Real players are. If he heads to Chelsea though – the majority of Liverpool fans will detest him for it…
At least if he ends up playing with Mickey then he won’t be as despised.

copious

Linbo rox my sox
HSC
He should just come to West Ham and play with the legendary Teddy Sheringham.

Anyway I think alot will depend on whether Real gets Robinho or not. Santos already rejected a bid of 25 mil for him, thus making the 35 mil for Gerrard look like a bargain.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)