• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Soccer Thread : 2004-05 (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

matt#1

HSC
N/A
LMF^^ said:
Yeah I know Alonso have been capped along wit Garcia, but Ronaldo iz not a major figure in Scolariz side.
Ronaldo is not a major figure in Scholari's side? Your joking, right :rolleyes: ? Ronaldo was not a regular starter for Portugal at the beginning of Euro 2004, but since that tournament he has become an integral part of the team...scoring goals regularly for them. :)

and Diana...I think it is about time that we once again agree to disagree on this one, but I still don't understand how you can say that United fans would throw bottles at the players because they didnt bring them glory but Liverpool fans would only burn shirts if they lose a born and bred Liverpudlian. Man Utd fans, as Mourinho said, do not throw bottles at their players...they are loyal. Similarly to the 'pool fans, I think it would take something like a born and bred Manchester player leaving to incite our fans to undertake such actions. Do you see the point that i'm trying to make clear? You can't just make assumptions about things (Utd fans would throw bottles because of lack of glory) when there is nothing to support this.

I think that you are just basing your conclusions on the media-driven stereotypes of Utd fans being glory hunters and Ronaldo being disloyal and just a poster boy.

Last edited:

braad

so dead yeah?
HSC
Crazy Horse said:
You do realise that in the section you quoted me from is my explanation :D
hahahahha

ohhhhhh fuck, im losing it..never coming back here again

LMF^^

(m==)m
HSC
N/A
matt#1 said:
Ronaldo is not a major figure in Scholari's side? Your joking, right :rolleyes: ? Ronaldo was not a regular starter for Portugal at the beginning of Euro 2004, but since that tournament he has become an integral part of the team...scoring goals regularly for them. :)
Wooopz, I waz meant to say otherwise, you know what I meant. :D

Fuckin hell I'm losin it too, gotta get away from here fo a while.

Crazy Horse

HSC
Benny_ said:
On another note.. I really really hope we don't shell out £8mil for Crouch. Kuyt's supposedly available for another £2mil, so why are we going for such a high risk player instead.
8 MILLION?? Your kidding, yes?

matt#1 said:
I might be wrong but I assumed he meant "is a major figure".

Matt I'm too tired to go into this again but I'm pretty sure I answered this earlier. I couldn't let your last statement off though....

Matt#1 said:
I think that you are just basing your conclusions on the media-driven stereotypes of Utd fans being glory hunters and Ronaldo being disloyal and just a poster boy.
I'm not stupid. I don't believe everything I see and read. I live and am related to Man U fans who have been so since they were toddlers and they are not glory supporters. As for Ronaldo - I don't need the media to come to my conclusion on him. They do nothing but praise him anyway. His a good footballer and I can admit that but I don't think his that brilliant or any more special then the likes of Rooney, Kaka, Torres etc.

matt#1

HSC
N/A
Crazy Horse said:
8 MILLION?? Your kidding, yes?

I might be wrong but I assumed he meant "is a major figure".

His a good footballer and I can admit that but I don't think his that brilliant or any more special then the likes of Rooney, Kaka, Torres etc.
Even if he did mean "major figure"...I would argue Ronaldo is a major figure in the Portuguese side anyway. Just look at all the goals he is scoring in the world cup qualifiers for evidence.

Also...I never asked you to believe that Ronaldo was better than the likes of Rooney, Torres or Kaka. I rate each of those players very highly also.

@ HeCtic...I would start searching google for pics of Lumparse pretty soon :D . I can't wait to see your new sig.

Last edited:

nedzelic

HSC
Vieira wo-ah-oh, Vieira wo-ah-oh, he comes from Senegal; he plays for Arsenal...woops

Bad luck to all those gunners out there. Vieira's out-of-here - to Juve for 20m Euros or something like that.

Crazy Horse

HSC
matt#1 said:
Even if he did mean "major figure"...I would argue Ronaldo is a major figure in the Portuguese side anyway. Just look at all the goals he is scoring in the world cup qualifiers for evidence.
Am I the only one that’s confused?
Refer to his earlier post Matt – he accidentally wrote “not” in the original post.

matt#1 said:
Also...I never asked you to believe that Ronaldo was better than the likes of Rooney, Torres or Kaka. I rate each of those players very highly also.
Ok. Again....

matt#1 said:
I think that you are just basing your conclusions on the media-driven stereotypes of Ronaldo being disloyal and just a poster boy.
We didn’t discuss Ronaldo being disloyal.

I stated this:
As for Ronaldo - I don't need the media to come to my conclusion on him. They do nothing but praise him anyway. His a good footballer and I can admit that but I don't think his that brilliant or any more special then the likes of Rooney, Kaka, Torres etc.

And again I stand by what I said. I mentioned the other 3 and then wrote etc. to show that I believe that there are many other players out there who are better. You never asked me to rate those players higher - no need to - i do anyway.

His not just a posterboy but if the likes of Lampard and Rooney have to put up with Lumparse and Shreck then Ronaldo can hack it. Heres some of his stuff by the way:

http://www.popculturejunkies.com/mt/archives/images/CristianoRonaldoGQ1crop.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v498/renas2/gq_cristiano.jpg

matt#1

HSC
N/A
Crazy Horse said:
We didn’t discuss Ronaldo being disloyal.

Correct. We didn't discuss that in this forum. But we have discussed this matter ;)
...and I know that you believe that "his heart only lies where the glory is". I also know that whatever I say will not changew your opinion of him, but please try to stop reaching conclusions about Cristiano Ronaldo by merely assuming things.

oh, and HeCtic. Bad luck that the Vieira transfer deal has been confirmed with Juve. Maybe you can use those funds to bring in a quality younger player, eg- Baptista. I'd rather crawl over broken glass than have a pic of Lampard in my sig...but lets hope you are a man of your word anyway :D

Last edited:

^___^
HSC
baptista won't go to arsenal...yet, not this season.
he said he will stay in spain for an extra year, so that he would be granted a spanish passport , so he wouldn't be considered as a non-EU player...more bargaining power for him/his club

LMF^^

(m==)m
HSC
N/A
The agent of Julio Baptista have held talkz wit Barca already, so thingz may change and some other club will capture him befo Arsenal have the chance to.

blackfriday

Pezzonovante
HSC
i dont know if baptista wants to play in england, even though arsenal want him bad.

anyone heard about jenas replacing viera yet?

^___^
HSC
Barca needs better defenders, although Puyol did well last season and statistically they are one of the best defensive teams in their league, it was all due to some lucky performances by their goalkeeper

they need a sound defender to partner Puyol in the middle instead of buying more midfielders/strikers

as of jenas replacing Vieria, well Souness said Arsenal need to bid more than 12million pound for him, not so sure if he is worth it yet, but maybe in a few years he might be worth more than 12mil.
Now its up to Wenger to decide who will replace Vieria and lead the club on the field

niall045

HSC
from memory barca have eto'o, henrik larsson, maxi lopez, lionel messi n santiago ezquerro. and saviola's still in their books. they dont need baptista, though i dont know what maxi lopez n larsson are like atm. give baptista to arsenal, itd be pretty mad to have henry n him together.

LMF^^

(m==)m
HSC
N/A
Newcastle will only sell Jenas to Arsenal if Sol Campbell came in the deal, so I don't think that'll happen. And in response to an earlier post made by Hectic, it seemz that Wenger did wake up one fine mornin and decided it waz time fo Vieira to leave. So will Wenger use new signin Helb, or the young'nz of Fabregas and Flamini to fill in fo Vieira.

Letz not foget the amount in injuriez Barca had last season, the first choice centre-half partner fo Puyol iz Sylvinho until he injured himself, while I think Marquez did perform quite admirably in hiz absence. To me Barcaz defense iz up there, just that 10min of madness against Chelsea that did all the damage.

^___^
HSC
well Barca's defence is not bad, but its not good enough to beat times like Chelsea or AC Milan.

Marqueze is not bad, but he pushes forward way too many times and Syvinho is more of a left back than a central defender. Edmilson is inconsistent and can get caught out very easily.

HeCtic

Dutchie
HSC
LMF^^ said:
Newcastle will only sell Jenas to Arsenal if Sol Campbell came in the deal, so I don't think that'll happen. And in response to an earlier post made by Hectic, it seemz that Wenger did wake up one fine mornin and decided it waz time fo Vieira to leave. So will Wenger use new signin Helb, or the young'nz of Fabregas and Flamini to fill in fo Vieira.

Letz not foget the amount in injuriez Barca had last season, the first choice centre-half partner fo Puyol iz Sylvinho until he injured himself, while I think Marquez did perform quite admirably in hiz absence. To me Barcaz defense iz up there, just that 10min of madness against Chelsea that did all the damage.

No, from what I understand Wenger was against the decision to sell, but the board were more than happy to get rid of a player who earns 90k per week, is injured or red carded half the season and spends every off-season whoring himself out to the likes of Juve and Real. 14-17 mill for a guy who has been cack for 2 seasons is decent business.

Also Hleb is too lightweight to play as a defensive midfielder, expect a couple of heavyweights to come in.

Sylvinho is a left back as well and Barca's defensive record is none to flash either, conceding 41 domestic goals in 38 games.

matt#1 said:
oh, and HeCtic. Bad luck that the Vieira transfer deal has been confirmed with Juve. Maybe you can use those funds to bring in a quality younger player, eg- Baptista.
See above why I think Vieira being sold was a good move, and I do expect a couple of good young midfielders to come in now that we've lost both Edu and Vieira.

matt#1 said:
@ HeCtic...I would start searching google for pics of Lumparse pretty soon . I can't wait to see your new sig.
You like?

whiterabbit said:
HeCtic's gonna pay

edit: oh damn, i'm slow and illiterate.
:(

:)

blackfriday said:
i dont know if baptista wants to play in england, even though arsenal want him bad.

anyone heard about jenas replacing viera yet?
Baptista might not want to play for an English club, but for the likes of Barca who can only play two foreign nationals. Taking a look at his career over the next ten years, why not stay for 6 more months rather than move now to Arsenal and throw away the two years he's already put into getting that Spanish nationality. At the least it will widen the competion for his signature as his career progresses, which ups his wages.

He's looking out for himself which I think is a smart move for him.

As for Jenas replacing Vieira? God I hope not. And the thought of Sol going to Newcastle is a tad far-fetched.

But yeah, to sum it all up:

Thanks for the great memories Patrick, and may you never win another trophy again.

Benny_

Elementary Penguin
HSC
Why would anyone want Jenas for anything? It's a shame Vieira chose such an unfortunate time to leave, if he had left a year earlier Arsenal could have snapped up Maniche.. but now he's off the CSKA I think. Personally I think it's a pretty poor move by the Arsenal board. Quality DMs are very hard to come by and they just sold one of the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)