• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Soccer Thread : 2004-05 (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZabZu

HSC
RUB!X said:
lol why did real madrid sell makelele anyway ... big loss ... hes unreplacable ... i hope gerrard stays in england though coz everyone wants him, who wouldnt ...
I heard Makelele was getting paid a fraction of other Madrid players such as Zidane and Ronaldo. Makelele is probably getting paid a significantly higher amount than he was getting at Madrid.

The Monaco vs Chelsea game in the UCL last season will be a game that will be hard to forget. Monaco definately got justice in the end.

matt#1

HSC
N/A
Does anyone know if there is any truth to the rumours that Ryan Giggs and Rio Ferdinand are about to make high-profile departures from Man Utd? I will personally kill Abramovich if Rio goes to Chelsea. It is also rumoured that Djemba-Djemba will go to West Brom on loan.

On the other hand...i've also heard that Man United is chasing Thomas Graveson, Schwarzer and Attni Niemi. These players will surely not be able to replace the quality of players like Rio and Giggs.

RUB!X

Bergkamp 10
HSC
matt#1 said:
I will personally kill Abramovich if Rio goes to Chelsea
good luck ...

Last edited:

matt#1

HSC
N/A
RUB!X said:
good luck ...

yeh, goalkeepers never did make good defenders or midfielders :p
Thomas Gravesen is a midfielder...i noticed how you conveniently left him out of my quotation. I'm also aware that schwarzer and Niemi are goalkeepers....I'm just trying to state that I dont think anyone can replace Rio and Giggs.

HeCtic

Dutchie
HSC
flyin' said:
We said "rise to the occasion". Internations, cross that off. ECL, Arsenal fail to produce the goods at Quarter Finals. They don't even make the Semi Finals.

If Chelsea do have a blip, what makes you think Arsenal or Man Utd can capitalise on it. Chelsea blip might only be 2 losses in a row, and that's it. If anything, with about 5 matches to go the gap may even be bigger than it is now.

Man Utd's second string may be shoddy, but Arsenal's second string is even more shoddy. Think Carling Cup.

Gilberto is a solid defensive midfielder. But in question is the lack of fit/semi-experienced central midfielders.

As you said, the 4 goals or 3 goals is once a season stuff. But two once a season stuffs in about half a season?

Chelsea is sort of modelled around Man Utd (youth) and Madrid (galacticos)... they just having an early injection.

Can't wait til Quarter Final of UCL are over. Then we'll see whose laughing as history repeats itself.

I'm not trying to wind up your argument about Henry. Last year's ECL Quarter Final against Chelsea. Arsenal haven't gotten pass the Quarters for a century now. Says something.

Vieira, can't help it if I can spell. =p You know what I mean.

As for the other comments about central defensive midfielders...
Gerrard > Vieira > Makelele

So Jens Lehmann (well, he is Reserve now), Bisan Lauren, Ashley Cole, Kolo Toure, Francesc Fabregas, Gilberto Silva, Thierry Henry, Jose Antonio Reyes are ALL Reserve Team. Arsenal's First Team must be invisible or something...

- Arsenal's failure in the Champions League can't be solely atributed to Thierry Henry. It's a collective problem and is more to do with the inability to defend a lead or to play with a defensive mindset. His scoring record in the CL and the number of times he's won us games says all it needs to. I can't see why you're getting all high and mighty as far as European performances go. Two semi-finals appearances is all well and good, but how many more times have you won the League than Burnley? Bringin up the same game over and over again is a bit of a laff, especially when we beat you 3 times last season. Using history to make a point is all well and good, but historically Chelsea are just Tottenham with money, nothing more.

-You say Chelsea's blip may only be two losses, well we've only lost two of our last 50 odd, but it's more a matter of not winning games but drawing them, having jammy decisions go against you etc. I'm loving this new found cockiness you Chelsea fans have found, I wonder where you'll all go once you do hit a run of bad form?

-Manyoo's second string struggled against Exeter, one Carling Cup match barely proves anything, considering how Arsenal's kids got us to the semi-finals last season and beat strong Everton and Citeh fans this season. We've actually got players breaking through right now, against Charlton we had to play Hoyte,Pennant,Clichy,van Persie,Senderos and Fabregas, those are second-teamers/youths who've been called upon recently and done very well. How've Djemba, Bellion, Miller,Richardson and Eagles done for Utd recently?

-We've got enough fit midfielders even without Edu and Bert. Experience isn't that big of a deal if you're good enough. How many seasons have Robben,Tiago,Carvalho,Kezman had in the Premiership? It's a non-point. Fabregas has been sensational and Flamini has shown he is very capable too. It might be worthwhile signin another midfielder but as it is we're set in central midfield at least untill seasons end.

-We had two crazy games this season? So what, if you bothered watching them you can see we won't have games like that for a long time. We're still well within touching distance of you despite our "frailties" at the back.

-Chelsea modelled around youth? How many of your first team squad have you made through your youth teams apart from John Terry? Raiding West Ham doesnt count for having a youth system. Even Real Madrid have a large percentage of squad players who they've made themselves, ManUtd had a large crop of good young'ns come through at the same time. Comparing Chelsea to them is a joke.

-Once again the Champions League hasn't been around for a century, neither for that matter has the European Cup. Chelsea hasn't won a League for 49(?) years, that doesn't mean they can't change it this season. Same goes for Arsenal in Europe, why can't this be the breakthrough season, after all we were the only English team to progress top of their group and unbeaten throughout the group stage.

-As for the Community Shield, seeing Clichy,Fabregas,Pennant,Hoyte, van Persie, run riot in that lovely Cardiff sunshine is what I was talking about, only Spector looked half-decent of Utd's second string.

blackfriday

Pezzonovante
HSC
LMF^^ said:
Yeah probably better than Bellion az a lone striker.
david bellion is quite probably the second-worst player to play in the premiership (after that prank call player, i forget his name but that was bloody funny. i think fergie has gone too senile now)

A2RAYA

You've done us proud boys
HSC
i don't know about that...he doesn't play in the premiership much and when he does he does pretty decently.....i guarantee you there are worse players who play/played week in, week out...some worse than the prank call player :D
forlan for one was an amazing flop....yes i'm aware of what he did against barca..i watched that game and was pissed off..as was veron, mutu started well but more or less "died" later in the season

thats all i can think if right now...anyone got anymore to add?

Hotdog1

Yummmmmmmmmm...
HSC
veron wasnt THAT bad 4 man utd, he did suck for chelsea tho

matt#1

HSC
N/A
Is the Man United v Chelsea game on tomorrow morning or on thursday?

I heard that Ferguson wants to stick with the team that has got us this far, whereas Chelsea will be using an almost full strength side. If that is the case we are going to get slaughtered.

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
HeCtic said:
- Arsenal's failure in the Champions League can't be solely atributed to Thierry Henry. It's a collective problem and is more to do with the inability to defend a lead or to play with a defensive mindset. His scoring record in the CL and the number of times he's won us games says all it needs to. I can't see why you're getting all high and mighty as far as European performances go. Two semi-finals appearances is all well and good, but how many more times have you won the League than Burnley? Bringin up the same game over and over again is a bit of a laff, especially when we beat you 3 times last season. Using history to make a point is all well and good, but historically Chelsea are just Tottenham with money, nothing more.

-You say Chelsea's blip may only be two losses, well we've only lost two of our last 50 odd, but it's more a matter of not winning games but drawing them, having jammy decisions go against you etc. I'm loving this new found cockiness you Chelsea fans have found, I wonder where you'll all go once you do hit a run of bad form?

-Manyoo's second string struggled against Exeter, one Carling Cup match barely proves anything, considering how Arsenal's kids got us to the semi-finals last season and beat strong Everton and Citeh fans this season. We've actually got players breaking through right now, against Charlton we had to play Hoyte,Pennant,Clichy,van Persie,Senderos and Fabregas, those are second-teamers/youths who've been called upon recently and done very well. How've Djemba, Bellion, Miller,Richardson and Eagles done for Utd recently?

-We've got enough fit midfielders even without Edu and Bert. Experience isn't that big of a deal if you're good enough. How many seasons have Robben,Tiago,Carvalho,Kezman had in the Premiership? It's a non-point. Fabregas has been sensational and Flamini has shown he is very capable too. It might be worthwhile signin another midfielder but as it is we're set in central midfield at least untill seasons end.

-We had two crazy games this season? So what, if you bothered watching them you can see we won't have games like that for a long time. We're still well within touching distance of you despite our "frailties" at the back.

-Chelsea modelled around youth? How many of your first team squad have you made through your youth teams apart from John Terry? Raiding West Ham doesnt count for having a youth system. Even Real Madrid have a large percentage of squad players who they've made themselves, ManUtd had a large crop of good young'ns come through at the same time. Comparing Chelsea to them is a joke.

-Once again the Champions League hasn't been around for a century, neither for that matter has the European Cup. Chelsea hasn't won a League for 49(?) years, that doesn't mean they can't change it this season. Same goes for Arsenal in Europe, why can't this be the breakthrough season, after all we were the only English team to progress top of their group and unbeaten throughout the group stage.

-As for the Community Shield, seeing Clichy,Fabregas,Pennant,Hoyte, van Persie, run riot in that lovely Cardiff sunshine is what I was talking about, only Spector looked half-decent of Utd's second string.
- You say Henry has good record in ECL - it's like 1 goal in 2 games. Compare that with Van Nistelrooy - it's almost 1 goal in 1 game (for Man Utd). So are you telling me Henry isn't a match-winner in ECL? Because each time it's the team's fault - their defense, their mindset, etc.

- It's funny how you keep *talking* about blips/bad form etc. Don't you have anything else negative to say - eg. poor defence, weak midfield, no forwards/match winners, etc.?

- Man Utd's second string is the same team Arsenal's second string couldn't beat.

- Robben (played and won with stuff with PSV), Tiago (played with Benefica and plays only half the time), Carvalho (won ECL, among other things), Kezman (does he play for Chelsea First XI?). What about your two young central mids? I have no doubt in four or five years they'll come good, but not yet by a long shot. As for Wenger and suggestions of Cesc breaking into Spain's First XI, he's got to be kidding.

- Chelsea and youth team will take time. Give them ten years.

- A century was referring to not exactly a century, rather the mere fact of Arsenal never winning the ECL. For all your Arsenal-is-great, they haven't won the big one.

- Arsenal breakthrough season? So they were undefeated in their Group Stage... they didn't qualify until the last game! What's more 2 wins and 4 draws (10 points), isn't anywhere near as impressive as 5 wins and 1 loss (15 points). Arsenal could go through the whole EPL undefeated with 38 draws, so what? It's wins which matter more. Look at Everton and compare them to Man Utd in the EPL. So what if Everton has lost more times?

- For Community Shield, Jens Lehmann (well, he is Reserve now), Bisan Lauren, Ashley Cole, Kolo Toure, Francesc Fabregas, Gilberto Silva, Thierry Henry, Jose Antonio Reyes all played. That's no reserve team. As for Man Utd's second string, they had Neville and Fletcher. I think your mistaking Community Shield for Carling Cup.

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
matt#1 said:
Is the Man United v Chelsea game on tomorrow morning or on thursday?

I heard that Ferguson wants to stick with the team that has got us this far, whereas Chelsea will be using an almost full strength side. If that is the case we are going to get slaughtered.
Chelsea aren't that scary that Man Utd (in a league game) should get slaughted. Either way I expect a reasonable scoreline and a Chelsea win. =p

HeCtic

Dutchie
HSC
flyin' said:
- You say Henry has good record in ECL - it's like 1 goal in 2 games. Compare that with Van Nistelrooy - it's almost 1 goal in 1 game (for Man Utd). So are you telling me Henry isn't a match-winner in ECL? Because each time it's the team's fault - their defense, their mindset, etc.

- It's funny how you keep *talking* about blips/bad form etc. Don't you have anything else negative to say - eg. poor defence, weak midfield, no forwards/match winners, etc.?

- Man Utd's second string is the same team Arsenal's second string couldn't beat.

- Robben (played and won with stuff with PSV), Tiago (played with Benefica and plays only half the time), Carvalho (won ECL, among other things), Kezman (does he play for Chelsea First XI?). What about your two young central mids? I have no doubt in four or five years they'll come good, but not yet by a long shot. As for Wenger and suggestions of Cesc breaking into Spain's First XI, he's got to be kidding.

- Chelsea and youth team will take time. Give them ten years.

- A century was referring to not exactly a century, rather the mere fact of Arsenal never winning the ECL. For all your Arsenal-is-great, they haven't won the big one.

- Arsenal breakthrough season? So they were undefeated in their Group Stage... they didn't qualify until the last game! What's more 2 wins and 4 draws (10 points), isn't anywhere near as impressive as 5 wins and 1 loss (15 points). Arsenal could go through the whole EPL undefeated with 38 draws, so what? It's wins which matter more. Look at Everton and compare them to Man Utd in the EPL. So what if Everton has lost more times?

- For Community Shield, Jens Lehmann (well, he is Reserve now), Bisan Lauren, Ashley Cole, Kolo Toure, Francesc Fabregas, Gilberto Silva, Thierry Henry, Jose Antonio Reyes all played. That's no reserve team. As for Man Utd's second string, they had Neville and Fletcher. I think your mistaking Community Shield for Carling Cup.

-Err, where did van Nistelrroy come into all of this? If the team doesnt win then it is the team's fault, not just one player.You're fool if you believe otherwise. He's won us enough matches in the Champions League to be considered a match winner in his own right, you're just clutching at straws now.

-When you're team is in good form everything looks great. Only when Arsenal hit a bad patch did everyone come out of the woodwork and criticise the team like you're doing now. When Robben wasn't playing your team couldn't create very much and were winning most of your earlier games with jammy 1-0's. If him or Duff crock it, your attack struggles. You consistently suggesting that Chelsea won't have a bad patch is more ridiculous than others suggesting the run has to stop sometime.

-So, and Chelsea's first team is the same team that couldn't beat Bolton at home, or Arsenal's side ravaged by injuries. Using one game as a comparison is silly, I'm talking about how these guys have performed when called upon over the course of a few matches in which case Arsenal's reserves win it hands down.

-Still, how much Premiership experience do they have? Cesc and Flamini held their own very well against three of your midfielders, and there is no doubt about their quality. Theyve both played very well this season, so theyre already contributing above expectations considering our injury problems. Point being, age and experience isn't an issue if you're good enough, which they certainly are.

- If Chelsea will take a decade to develop a youth system why did you claim they're squad is currently a mix of youths and big spending? Even all the young players in your squad were bought at inflated prices with ludicrous wages.

-I said it could well be Arsenal's breakthrough season, the fact that they haven't won it before has no bearing on what happens now, seeing as though we're still in the competition and have an excellent side capable of turning any of the remaining team's over. I know Arsenal haven't won "The Big One" yet, and shouldn't be classed as a historically big club liek Liverpool etc, but when a Chelsea fan starts arguing about the pedigree of the club and it's history then I can brag a lot. You best stick arguing with Spurs fans about that, and even then you probably couldn't win.

-Meh, seeing all the above reserves I mentioned come on in the second half and ass own Man Utd, was a fair indication of our strenghth in depth.

Last edited:

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Hectic, there is no point arguing. Let's just sit back and see how second-half of the season pans out.

blackfriday

Pezzonovante
HSC
seba veron must be one of the most expensive flops for man yoo and chelski. his only achievement was hitting man yoo's only free kick goal despite the fact becks was still around.

AcStyle*

Believe in Desire
HSC
Official - Morientes signs for LFC

Great signing by the Reds, interesting to see how the Morientes-Baros partnership goes....

Also, Moro is the 6th 'habla Español jugador' (lol was that right?) to join el Casa de Anfield following Pellegrino's arrival last wk :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)