Soccer Thread : 2004-05 (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

matt#1

HSC
N/A
A2RAYA said:
bottom line people...chelsea's luck WILL eventually run out and they will drop points...they're not invincible by any stretch of the imagination....
I'm not by any means suggesting that Chelsea is invincible...but i'm also not sure that Chelsea's success this season can be attributed to just luck because they consistently play quality football.

In other words...i'm not certain at all that Chelsea will start to lose points and believe that unless they sustain injuries to a large number of players...they will win the English Premier League for sure. And thats coming from a Man Utd supporter.

I'm also willing to bet that they bomb out to Barca in the Chamions League though :D and can't wait to see Man U take on AC Milan.

Last edited:

^___^
HSC
Chelsea's current form is not due to luck
i think they are playing solid football
it takes more than luck to be playing solid effective football week in week out
thought some of the games they've won are by pure luck (ie against liverpool)

flyin: surely they didn't spend as much compare to man utd over the decade, but the number of players they bought, they certainly are up there :p

HeCtic

Dutchie
HSC
flyin' said:
@ HeCtic

Fergie realises that there's a huge gap, and even Scholes realises that winning all their games isn't enough, coz Chelsea aren't dropping points like Arsenal and Man Utd did over the Winter period. It's sad to think that they are waiting for a blip which won't come. You see, when players aren't performing... there are a few quality players wanting in the midst unlike Arsenal who only have 3 fit central midfielders - 2 of which haven't played a full season in the EPL.
I don't see the relevance of Fergie or Scholes' opinons. It's not rocket science to suggest that Chelsea have to drop points for them to not win the league. To say the blip won't come is stupid. Sooner or later they'll play poorly and lose or they'll play well and get a call or something go against them which will cost them points. It's how they'll react to Arsenal closing the gap which will determine if they're worthy contendors.

flyin' said:
Man Utd will finish ahead of Arsenal.
Pft, I've seen nothing to suggest that this season. Their second string side is shoddy and they don't have the quality in reserve we do.

flyin' said:
Arsenal even with Campbell don't have a strong defense which doesn't leaks goals. It's hard to win when you keep conceding goals like a hockey match (Arsenal v Tottenham).
Arsenal's back four is the exact same one that kept in the least goals last season. Gilberto being out for the season is what's killing us defensively. For all the cunts who said he should've been dropped or that he was crap, we can now see how important he is to the defensive side of our game. One game where we concede four goals isn't really an indication either. That game and the Boro game were out madness, the type of game you're lucky to see once a season, and even then we still managed to score more than the opposition did so it hardly matters.

flyin' said:
As for spending? I'm sure Real Madrid and Man Utd have spent more in total than Chelsea over 10 years. They're just doing in a shorter period of time. When you say they spend money so it doesn't mean anything, just look at Porto the last two season, and even Arsenal to some extent.
So building a squad, managing your finances properly and investing in youth systems/trainig programs over the span of a decade is comparable to some sugar daddy walking in and pumping millions of dollars into overpriced players on inflated wages, pretty much killing the transfer market for all the other big clubs.

You can't compare the Abramovich circus with any other club. Not even Manyoo or Madrid.

flyin' said:
As for winning anything, it's not even March, April and May yet. Come that time, Arsenal probably won't be in the running for anything, whereas Chelsea would've won or still be in the running to win things.
Heh. You really are cocksure aren't you? This entire post so far has been a pretty poor attempt at a troll. Once again, all it takes is one moment in one game to change the whole course of your season. I think Riley and the fat cunt Rooney proved that.

flyin' said:
As for Henry, he can stay at Arsenal. He doesn't seem to rise to occasion in big matches (ECL or FA Cup Finals or even Internationals).

In short, Viera's overrated. I'd buy a Gerrard anyday.

Haha, seeing Henry put two past Cech earlier this season must've been tough for you eh? He kept us in the race single-handedly then, and has scored so many goals in the CL that've kept us in the competition, year in year out. This one's a non-argument, I could go on all day about how great Henry is and how every team in the world would take him in with open arms, but you're trying a windup rather than an actual argument so it's not really worth my while.

I do think Vieira is dreaming of Madrid too much to ever be the same player he was three seasons ago and that I would take Gerrard over him now, however this Viera chap you're talking about I've never heard of? :D

matt#1

HSC
N/A
Well said HeCtic. It seems that Chelsea's success so far this season, along with Abramovich's multi- million dollar spending sprees has resulted in them becoming the most hated team in the EPL ahead of Man United.

notnownotever

PRINCE
HSC
flyin' said:
@ HeCtic

Fergie realises that there's a huge gap, and even Scholes realises that winning all their games isn't enough, coz Chelsea aren't dropping points like Arsenal and Man Utd did over the Winter period. It's sad to think that they are waiting for a blip which won't come. You see, when players aren't performing... there are a few quality players wanting in the midst unlike Arsenal who only have 3 fit central midfielders - 2 of which haven't played a full season in the EPL.

Man Utd will finish ahead of Arsenal. Arsenal even with Campbell don't have a strong defense which doesn't leaks goals. It's hard to win when you keep conceding goals like a hockey match (Arsenal v Tottenham).

As for spending? I'm sure Real Madrid and Man Utd have spent more in total than Chelsea over 10 years. They're just doing in a shorter period of time. When you say they spend money so it doesn't mean anything, just look at Porto the last two season, and even Arsenal to some extent.

As for winning anything, it's not even March, April and May yet. Come that time, Arsenal probably won't be in the running for anything, whereas Chelsea would've won or still be in the running to win things.

****As for Henry, he can stay at Arsenal. He doesn't seem to rise to occasion in big matches (ECL or FA Cup Finals or even Internationals).***

In short, Viera's overrated. I'd buy a Gerrard anyday.
this is great stuff mate. its good to realise people are now seeing what i was on about how henry doesnt rise to the big events.... thats why he is not in the same teir as sheva, van nist., raul, eto, and rohaldino sp.

great stuff :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p

notnownotever

PRINCE
HSC
fuck this topic is still growing strong... shit aye.
ohh by the way henry. he doesnt rise to those big moments nor the big games... :D :D :D

matt#1

HSC
N/A
notnownotever said:
this is great stuff mate. its good to realise people are now seeing what i was on about how henry doesnt rise to the big events.... thats why he is not in the same teir as sheva, van nist., raul, eto, and rohaldino sp.

You know nothing mate. I'd rate Henry higher, or at least equal to most of the players in your list. Although it is true that he has struggled at international level...I think it is unfair to say that he dosent perform in big matches, because his goals in the Champions League and the 2 he scored against Chelsea contradict what you are saying.

Henry has also been voted runner-up in the FIFA World Footballer of the year poll two years in a row. Contrary to what you said, that has to be proof that he is indeed a top tier footballer.

Last edited:

LMF^^

(m==)m
HSC
N/A
A few yrz ago I would've said that Makelele iz the best defensive midfielder in the world, when he waz still at Real Madrid. But now Gerrard iz definitely better, probably due to hiz comin of age and Makelele gettin older.

I personally don't like Makelele anyway, especially after seein him do a Rivaldo against Monaco in last seasonz CL semi final.

^___^
HSC
he is the best cos he is like madrid's third centre back, he rarely moves forward

but in terms of skills and overall ability, i reckon gerrard's prime is far better than makelele's prime

RUB!X

Bergkamp 10
HSC
lol why did real madrid sell makelele anyway ... big loss ... hes unreplacable ... i hope gerrard stays in england though coz everyone wants him, who wouldnt ...

HeCtic

Dutchie
HSC
notnownotever said:

Errr, no-one actually sees Henry as a flop, that was just flyin' having a troll.

I've already shut you down when you compared Henry to Shevchenko, Ruud and Ronaldinho, and now you're bringing Raul who's had two absolute shite seasons in a row and Sammy E'too who's nowhere near proven himself at the top level into the equation?

I'm yet to see a fan of anyteam team as blinkered as you are.

matt#1

HSC
N/A
HeCtic said:
Pft, I've seen nothing to suggest that this season. Their second string side is shoddy and they don't have the quality in reserve we do.
HeCtic, I agree that Man Utd's second string team is playing pretty badly at the moment, but how can you claim that you have more quality in reserve when our reserve team beat your even more 'shoddy' reserve team in the League Cup.

Man Utd also has quality in reserve at the moment due to injuries/suspensions to players such as Van Nistelrooy, Giggs, Rooney and Saha.

HeCtic

Dutchie
HSC
matt#1 said:
HeCtic, I agree that Man Utd's second string team is playing pretty badly at the moment, but how can you claim that you have more quality in reserve when our reserve team beat your even more 'shoddy' reserve team in the League Cup.

Man Utd also has quality in reserve at the moment due to injuries/suspensions to players such as Van Nistelrooy, Giggs, Rooney and Saha.

That's because most of our reserve team is playing in the first team squad now and didnt play in the Carling Cup game. That match itself was a substandard game of football where both sides played like absolute shit and a howler from Almunia was the only way a goal was going to be scored then.

If you want a better indication of how our seconds go, refer back to the Community Shield match

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
A2RAYA said:
bottom line people...chelsea's luck WILL eventually run out and they will drop points...they're not invincible by any stretch of the imagination....it's just that they have all the luck which arsenal had alst season, and united the last few before that....they'll bomb out in the champions league to barca...i'm willing to put money on that happening, and as for the FA cup...who really cares if they win that or not
I'd like to see Arsenal not drop points with their defense. You can't win games consistently if you don't have a sound defense. Just ask Man Utd after they Rio.

If Chelsea get knocked out by a Barca (who were crushed by Diego Forlan, of all people), they don't deserve to win UCL. But they'll beat Barca. Just wait and see.
matt#1 said:
You know nothing mate. I'd rate Henry higher, or at least equal to most of the players in your list. Although it is true that he has struggled at international level...I think it is unfair to say that he dosent perform in big matches, because his goals in the Champions League and the 2 he scored against Chelsea contradict what you are saying.

Henry has also been voted runner-up in the FIFA World Footballer of the year poll two years in a row. Contrary to what you said, that has to be proof that he is indeed a top tier footballer.
We said "rise to the occasion". Internations, cross that off. ECL, Arsenal fail to produce the goods at Quarter Finals. They don't even make the Semi Finals.
HeCtic said:
I don't see the relevance of Fergie or Scholes' opinons. It's not rocket science to suggest that Chelsea have to drop points for them to not win the league. To say the blip won't come is stupid. Sooner or later they'll play poorly and lose or they'll play well and get a call or something go against them which will cost them points. It's how they'll react to Arsenal closing the gap which will determine if they're worthy contendors.

Arsenal's back four is the exact same one that kept in the least goals last season. Gilberto being out for the season is what's killing us defensively. For all the cunts who said he should've been dropped or that he was crap, we can now see how important he is to the defensive side of our game. One game where we concede four goals isn't really an indication either. That game and the Boro game were out madness, the type of game you're lucky to see once a season, and even then we still managed to score more than the opposition did so it hardly matters.

So building a squad, managing your finances properly and investing in youth systems/trainig programs over the span of a decade is comparable to some sugar daddy walking in and pumping millions of dollars into overpriced players on inflated wages, pretty much killing the transfer market for all the other big clubs.

You can't compare the Abramovich circus with any other club. Not even Manyoo or Madrid.

Heh. You really are cocksure aren't you? This entire post so far has been a pretty poor attempt at a troll. Once again, all it takes is one moment in one game to change the whole course of your season. I think Riley and the fat cunt Rooney proved that.

Haha, seeing Henry put two past Cech earlier this season must've been tough for you eh? He kept us in the race single-handedly then, and has scored so many goals in the CL that've kept us in the competition, year in year out. This one's a non-argument, I could go on all day about how great Henry is and how every team in the world would take him in with open arms, but you're trying a windup rather than an actual argument so it's not really worth my while.

I do think Vieira is dreaming of Madrid too much to ever be the same player he was three seasons ago and that I would take Gerrard over him now, however this Viera chap you're talking about I've never heard of? :D
If Chelsea do have a blip, what makes you think Arsenal or Man Utd can capitalise on it. Chelsea blip might only be 2 losses in a row, and that's it. If anything, with about 5 matches to go the gap may even be bigger than it is now.

Man Utd's second string may be shoddy, but Arsenal's second string is even more shoddy. Think Carling Cup.

Gilberto is a solid defensive midfielder. But in question is the lack of fit/semi-experienced central midfielders.

As you said, the 4 goals or 3 goals is once a season stuff. But two once a season stuffs in about half a season?

Chelsea is sort of modelled around Man Utd (youth) and Madrid (galacticos)... they just having an early injection.

Can't wait til Quarter Final of UCL are over. Then we'll see whose laughing as history repeats itself.

I'm not trying to wind up your argument about Henry. Last year's ECL Quarter Final against Chelsea. Arsenal haven't gotten pass the Quarters for a century now. Says something.

Vieira, can't help it if I can spell. =p You know what I mean.

As for the other comments about central defensive midfielders...
Gerrard > Vieira > Makelele
HeCtic said:
That's because most of our reserve team is playing in the first team squad now and didnt play in the Carling Cup game. That match itself was a substandard game of football where both sides played like absolute shit and a howler from Almunia was the only way a goal was going to be scored then.

If you want a better indication of how our seconds go, refer back to the Community Shield match
So Jens Lehmann (well, he is Reserve now), Bisan Lauren, Ashley Cole, Kolo Toure, Francesc Fabregas, Gilberto Silva, Thierry Henry, Jose Antonio Reyes are ALL Reserve Team. Arsenal's First Team must be invisible or something...

LMF^^

(m==)m
HSC
N/A
Wished Forlan waz still playin fo Man U, maybe then they could've beaten Exeter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)