Soccer Thread : 2004-05 (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RUB!X

Bergkamp 10
HSC
HeCtic said:
How so? We got Sol for free and Ash came through our youth system but they're more exceptions to the rule. Why don't you name me one English player good enough to play for Arsenal who wouldn't be exhorbitantly overpriced and would be available for a transfer this summer. I can't name one.

We got Cesc and Flamini for about 1million or we could've got Carrick for 3million, Toure cost 600k Leadfoot King would cost 10million etc. We can buy foreign players of similar or better quality for far less money and troubles, Wenger and the board don't have to answer to anyone on that, they're doing the best for Arsenal.

If an English player was good enough he'd make it at Arsenal, eg Cole but more often than not they're decent players but not the standard needed at Arsenal.
Thats exactly why i like Arsenal so much ...
We make them stars, not buy them

^___^
HSC
hahahhahaha

hectic
at least if you have upson, your defence don't have to rely on Cygan :p

where as reyes, he hasn't settle in, and i'm sure if u ask all of the manager in england, they would have prefer defoe over reyes, esp in arsenal case, cos look at arsenal's forward line, apart from henry, there isn't another top notch player (bergkampt can't play every game you know :p )
reyes is a good player, but i fail to see why wenger got him ahead of defoe when their forward line was really thin

HSC
HeCtic said:
If an English player was good enough he'd make it at Arsenal, eg Cole but more often than not they're decent players but not the standard needed at Arsenal.
The standard needed at Arsenal? You must admit that their weakest link is the back four, and you must also admit that is where Chelsea have built their (soon to be) Premiership winning team from. This backline includes John Terry and Wayne Bridge, two internationals for England. It's all well and good to mention "The standard needed at Arsenal", but the fact is, they are third. I will not hide my hatred for Manchester United, but their youth development has been a major factor in their success, many players being English (The Nevilles, Beckham, Scholes). Chelsea, no matter how much money they spend now, have more English players in their team than they did five or six years ago, when they were full of Italians (Zola etc).

It is called the "English Premier league" for a reason- it's English. And having foreign players is good in some respects, when your whole squad of 16 is not born in the country your playing in, it makes a mockery of the competition. This is why their should be restrictions on the amount of overseas players in a team, as it will solve the problem you seem so outraged about- overpriced quality English players.

braad

so dead yeah?
HSC
dusnt serie A have like non-euro players or sumthing, they gotta fill a quota or sum shit?? makes sure they're not over taken by foreign players....

OR

am i jus completely wrong

RUB!X

Bergkamp 10
HSC
Tender_Branson said:
The standard needed at Arsenal? You must admit that their weakest link is the back four, and you must also admit , that is where Chelsea have built their (soon to be) Premiership winning team from.
Not all football clubs have huge wallets like Chelsea and Mr. Abramovich ...
Chelsea bought Mourinho, and with him came 2 of the top defenders in Europe, Carvalho and Ferriera who helped Porto secure the uefa cup and champions league and pwn all other Portugese teams domestically ... that defence was mostly bought, not made ... Arsenals defence Lauren/Cole/Campbell/Cygan and co. have all ahd there prices climb after moving to Arsenal ... Lauren was picked up i think from an Ivory Coast team, Arsenal scout for good players, and then develop them into great players, unlike Real Madrid and Chelsea, who seem to just buy the best of the day and hope for the best ...

Tender_Branson said:
It is called the "English Premier league" for a reason- it's English. And having foreign players is good in some respects, when your whole squad of 16 is not born in the country your playing in, it makes a mockery of the competition. This is why their should be restrictions on the amount of overseas players in a team, as it will solve the problem you seem so outraged about overpriced quality English players.
Arsenal dont have the money Chelsea do. If there are better players abroad who are cheaper then local players of the same ability it would seem foolish to invest in the local player. Its not mockery, its just more effective and efficient for Arsenal to work the way it does with its foreign players.

matt#1

HSC
N/A
flyin' said:
For all the wealth of the oil baron, Chelsea are seriously short of players.

They lack a proper right winger (kid from Betis would do well). Duff and Robben can play anywhere, but mainly on the left (and they aren't strikers although they can play there and well).
Mourinho wants your new proper right winger to be none other than his Portuguese comrade Cristiano Ronaldo...i take it that he is also the world class player that Mourinho was talking about signing during the next transfer period. This makes sense because Ronaldo has all of a sudden started to ask Man Utd management for a pay increase...presumably because he is being tempted by an offer from Chelsea which is reported to be worth about 70,000 per week.

I'll be so angry if he goes to Chelski because I believe that he is developing into one of the finest players in the world....even more so since he stopped his compulsive step-over obsession of late.

slip

HSC
for all of chelseas big money and that it was arsenal who struck controversy last round for feilding there first completely non english team, not even an english man on the bench...

i knwo chelsea has feilded a non english 11, but i dont think they have done no english men in the squad at all.

matt#1

HSC
N/A
slip said:
for all of chelseas big money and that it was arsenal who struck controversy last round for feilding there first completely non english team, not even an english man on the bench...

i knwo chelsea has feilded a non english 11, but i dont think they have done no english men in the squad at all.
They only fielded a completely foreign XI because their two regular English players in the form of Campbell and Ashley Cole were injured. I don't see the big deal really because it's not like these two were stopped from playing because they are English. One look at the quality in the Arsenal side will show you that these players were obviously chosen based on their ability, rather than nationality.

AcStyle*

Believe in Desire
HSC
slip said:
Yeh that was back in '99 i think when Vialli was manager. Altho their starting XI was totally foreign they had 4 Englishmen on the bench, which included a young John Terry...

HSC
RUB!X said:
Arsenal dont have the money Chelsea do. If there are better players abroad who are cheaper then local players of the same ability it would seem foolish to invest in the local player. Its not mockery, its just more effective and efficient for Arsenal to work the way it does with its foreign players.
Hope I'm not interpreting this the wrong way, but your making it seem as though Arsenal are a cash strapped bunch of battlers. Lets look at this from a statistical point of view. In figures released only this week for income over the 2003/4 season:

1: Man United - 171.5 million pounds
2: Real Madrid - 156.3 million pounds
3: AC Milan - 147.2 million pounds
4: Chelsea - 143.7 million pounds
5: Juventus - 142.4 million pounds
6: Arsenal - 115 million pounds

I think this goes to show that, while it's true The Arse aren't quite as wealthy as Chelsea, when you are talking in hundreds of millions of pounds, 28 million is a fair gap, but it definatly isn't a chasm.

It may be foolish to invest in a local player, but thats the the point I'm making. I'm not talking about economics or trophies, I'm tlaking about the fact that it's a fucking English league.

RUB!X

Bergkamp 10
HSC
yeh, i guess, im not arguing with u, also arsenal moving to new stadium which would restrict spending somewhat ...

^___^
HSC
RUB!X said:
yeh, i guess, im not arguing with u, also arsenal moving to new stadium which would restrict spending somewhat ...

no, he was given transfer money during the summer :p
the chairman stated it cos ppl were wondering why there wasn't any ppl coming in with their squad so thin and such(with edu leaving and the forward line doesn't have another player to share henry's burden)

RUB!X

Bergkamp 10
HSC
so who arsenal looking at buying?
dey in dire need of defence

AcStyle*

Believe in Desire
HSC
Here's the top20 football rich list for those of u interested:

1 (1) Manchester Utd FC £171.5m
2 (4) Real Madrid CF £156.3m
3 (3) AC Milan £147.2m
4 (10) Chelsea FC £143.7m
5 (2) Juventus £142.4m
6 (7) Arsenal FC £115m
7 (13) FC Barcelona £110.1m
8 (6) Internazionale £110.3m
9 (5) Bayern Munich £110.1m
10 (8) Liverpool FC £92.3m
11 (10) Newcastle Utd FC £90.5m
12 (11) AS Roma £72m
13 (18) Celtic FC £69m
14 (16) Tottenham Hotspur FC £66.3m
15 (15) SS Lazio £65.8m
16 (-) Manchester City FC £61.9m
17 (14) Schalke 04 £60.5m
18 (-) Olympique Marseille £58.3m
19 (-) Rangers FC £57.1m
20 (-) Aston Villa FC £55.9m

Source: Deloitte
- Previous season's position in brackets

lol i'm not sure wots going on w/ Inter being in 8th instead of 7th, must be a typo from the source i think :p

Its surprising to see supposedly 'smaller' clubs such as Spurs, ManCity, Villa in the list....

Last edited:

^___^
HSC
RUB!X said:
so who arsenal looking at buying?
dey in dire need of defence
i have no idea who they want to buy for the central defender's role

lets hope Wenger buys another Cygan

and they were also talking bout replacing Lehmann since he is a pussy and shit in the air

RUB!X

Bergkamp 10
HSC
No, not another Cygan please go no !
Lehmann hasnt lived up to expectations ...

^___^
HSC
RUB!X said:
No, not another Cygan please go no !
Lehmann hasnt lived up to expectations ...
actually
Lehmann did alright at the beginning
then things started to fall apart when he was exposed he was weak in the air and doesn't like any physical contact(strangely, he went to an EPL club :p )

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)