Soccer Thread : 2004-05 (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

matt#1

HSC
N/A
braad said:
BUT more importantly, can liverpool get the 4th place???? YES we can
I guess that i'm not really in the mould of the average Man Utd fan, because we are meant to hate Liverpool....but I have a lot of time for the Kop people and really do hope they can climb past Everton into 4th place. I think that you have a good chance if Morientes keeps putting the ball into the back of the net.

T

timbk2

I'll be up for 2morro's game at 5:30.

i predict --- Aus 2 - SA 1

Agostino, Emerton

matt#1

HSC
N/A
timbk2 said:
I'll be up for 2morro's game at 5:30.

i predict --- Aus 2 - SA 1

Agostino, Emerton
I'll be up to watch it too but with the amount of players we are missing ...im not really that confident of a win.

matt#1

HSC
N/A
Australia 1- 1 South Africa. We played god awful in the first half, but much better in the second. Brilliant goal scored by Scott Chipperfield.

slip

HSC
HeCtic said:
At least Manyoo and Arsenal earnt their trophies, Chelsea havent which is what pisses me off.
chelsea have been around the top four for almost 10years, they have earnt there success as a club(a club is alot more then the players on the pitch or the club). and the players themselves would all have been after trophies for years.. so everyone there has worked for there success

its one thing to buy a team but the team still has to perfrom and they have done that. and arsenal and manu have spent big over the years aswell, just look at rooney and reyes i dont think chelsea paid quite as much money on any single player as was spent on those two players. they spent there moneys better, they got 4 or 5 quality players for the price of rooney.

braad

so dead yeah?
HSC
im sure manyoo paid all that money 4 a bit of talent and a whole lot of potential aggression, that kid (yes, he's old than me, but i dont look like shreks brother) has got the worst temperment, but its good 4 me, i dont realllllly support manyoo (not that i hate them)

so yeh, n chelsea, i duno y u even try 2 argue about spending money, u guys bought betta players? alrite, but u also bought half the soccer plays available:p ok...maybe not THAT many...

dusnt matta, its helped the game sumwhat...its now a sort of threesome at the top, n next season Liverpool will make it an orgy :p (yes, i've been readin 2 much 'person above u 2' thread) n then we can have a 4-way battle! betta than knowing arseholes n manyoo r the only 2 able 2 win

matt#1

HSC
N/A
braad said:
so yeh, n chelsea, i duno y u even try 2 argue about spending money, u guys bought betta players? alrite, but u also bought half the soccer plays available:p
The sad thing is that Chelsea are still not satisfied and wont be until they have at least two world class players for every position on the park. Mourinho has already said that he is going to be buying another world class player this summer...but I really dont think they need to. Rumour has it that he is chasing both Cole and Adriano.

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
For all the wealth of the oil baron, Chelsea are seriously short of players.

They have two strikers, Eidur and Dider. You need at least three strikers, just in case one or more become injuried or take illegal substances.

They lack a proper right winger (kid from Betis would do well). Duff and Robben can play anywhere, but mainly on the left (and they aren't strikers although they can play there and well).

They need one left-back, because they only have Bridge. Gallas can play anywhere but is really a centre-back.

But with the new home-grown player law, Chelsea may have to look more locally (eg. Cole).

One striker
One left back
One right winger

Last edited:

matt#1

HSC
N/A
flyin' said:
For all the wealth of the oil baron, Chelsea are seriously short of players.

They have two strikers, Eidur and Dider. You need at least three strikers, just in case one or more become injuried or take illegal substances.
What about Mateja Kezman...even though he seems out of form this season, he is a striker too. Joe Cole can be used as a striker right? ...and i also beleive that you also have Darius Forssel if he comes back from injury.

HeCtic

Dutchie
HSC
slip said:
chelsea have been around the top four for almost 10years, they have earnt there success as a club(a club is alot more then the players on the pitch or the club). and the players themselves would all have been after trophies for years.. so everyone there has worked for there success

its one thing to buy a team but the team still has to perfrom and they have done that. and arsenal and manu have spent big over the years aswell, just look at rooney and reyes i dont think chelsea paid quite as much money on any single player as was spent on those two players. they spent there moneys better, they got 4 or 5 quality players for the price of rooney.

Being around the top 5 for a few seasons is alright, but seeing as though you're using off-field criteria too how can you discount the mismanagement that led to Chelsea being on the brink of bankrupcy just two seasons ago? The past-it has beens on inflated wages at Chelsea were a laughing stock and it was seen as a retirmemnt village for over the hillSerie-A players. Having some sugar daddy save you and buy a whole new squad, new upper management and new coaching staff isn't a result of a well run football club being succesful. How many of these players and staff who worked their asses off for Chelsea over the past ten years are still at the club?

Comparing Chelsea's spending to Arsenal's is laughable. Arsenal's net spending on players since Wenger took over is less than that of Spurs or Boro even let alone Chelsea. Reyes cost 8 million pounds which could rise to 17 million in the next 4 years. A far cry from big-spending, and even less so when you look at the comparative wage-bills of the squads. Manchester United may have splashed out on Rio and Rooney amongst others, but they are able to do that due to the clubs success co-inciding with the major injection of money into football by Murdoch etc. Their board was savvy enough to run the marketing side of the club perfectly then and at the same time Ferguson assembled a brilliant squad of home-grown talents with talented foreigners such as Cantona and Schmeichel and they worked brilliantly as a unit for years. Manchester United is a well run football club who've come across their money through excellent management and a bit of luck too.

Last edited:

max

That which u feel becomes
HSC
I wish Freddy was as good this season as he was yesteryear. :(

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
matt#1 said:
What about Mateja Kezman...even though he seems out of form this season, he is a striker too. Joe Cole can be used as a striker right? ...and i also beleive that you also have Darius Forssel if he comes back from injury.
Joe Cole can be used as a support striker, but Jose knows better (that if anything, he's a playmaker). Kezman is like Crespo (better in another league). Mikael Forssell is quality, but he's out for the rest of the season, and it's hard seeing him fit into the Chelsea line-up. Carlton Cole looks like a prospect for the future, however - and from the Academy which gives him bonus points.

Benny_

Elementary Penguin
HSC
I don't think Abramovich will have the patience to stick with Kezman if he fails over this upcoming period. With both Drogba and Robben injured this'll be his last chance to impress before he's shipped back to Holland.

Whoever said Freddie was out of form has not been watching Arsenal play lately. He's probably been their best player this year. They'd probably be a further 6-10 points behind the Chelskis if he hadn't played.

Finally.. hooray for Robben's injury. Now the Reds stand a very outside chance against them in the league cup final

matt#1

HSC
N/A
jim_green said:
Finally.. hooray for Robben's injury. Now the Reds stand a very outside chance against them in the league cup final

Yeah I hope Liverpool win this game too. That way Chelski can only hope to equal Man Utd's treble. It may also help to further dent Chelsea's confidence. When is this game anyway?

T

timbk2

Marc Bresciano had a very quiet game for australia ..

i wonder if that Tsunami Relief game is gonna be on sbs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)