• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Soccer Thread : 2004-05 (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

copious

Linbo rox my sox
HSC
It didnt stop him scoring 21 goals(equal second in div 1) this season. =D

HSC
39 is way too old, even for the leniant A-League. It is all well and good to have some hig profile players - but you cannot honestly tell me that Sheringham would come here in the interests on Australian football?

Just read the latest edition of the Gary Neville diary ... the guys over at Football365 have a great sense of humour. Have a read of it here! :D

LMF^^

(m==)m
HSC
N/A
Malcolm Glazer's sons Joel, Avram and Bryan have all been appointed to the Manchester United board after their father's takeover while chairman Roy Gardner has resigned from his post.

The predicable good newz haz finally come.

Summary of other newz, too tired to comment on it now.

EL MUNDO DEPORTIVO

* Juventus want to sign Spain midfielder Guti from Real Madrid, but don't want to pay the reported 20million Euro (£14million) asking price.

DAILY STAR

* Steven Gerrard has told his Liverpool team-mates that he will stay at Anfield despite doubts as to the midfielder's future.

* Real Madrid want to strike a peace pact with Chelsea in the transfer market after the Spanish side were stunned by the Blues' ability to tempt Claude Makelele and Geremi away from the Bernabeu last summer.

* Birmingham are chasing Cardiff pair Danny Gabbidon and James Collins if Matthew Upson leaves the club - Gabbidon is also wanted by Blackburn while West Ham and West Brom are interested in Collins.

* Fulham are likely to take a chance on Czech Republic reserve keeper Miroslav Drobny rather than move for Norwich keeper Robert Green, who may now move to West Brom.

* Everton will turn to Newcastle striker Craig Bellamy with their move for Chelsea striker Mikael Forssell on the verge of collapse.

* Bolton have made a bid for former Everton midfielder Idan Tal.

* Blackburn head the queue of clubs trying to sign Porto striker Benni McCarthy.

* Newcastle will battle it out with Liverpool for Chelsea midfielder Scott Parker after Everton were unable to match his wage demands.

* Sunderland want to sign freed Manchester United keeper Roy Carroll.

* Bastia midfielder Youssef Hadji says he will join Portsmouth shortly, while Pompey have stepped up their bid to sign Israel striker Yaniv Katan.

THE SUN

* Spurs' sporting director Frank Arnesen insists that a move to Chelsea will "make me for life".

* Chelsea target Michael Essien has agreed to extend his contract at Lyon.

* Juventus have made a move for Arsenal left-back Ashley Cole.

* Sunderland are to move for Manchester United's Roy Carroll after missing out on Ipswich keeper Kelvin Davis.

* Newcastle are closing in on a £7million swoop for Chelsea midfielder Scott Parker.

DAILY MIRROR

* Chelsea midfielder Scott Parker is the key to a £5million peace pact between Spurs and Chelsea over the Frank Arnesen tapping-up scandal.

* Arsenal have rejected an approach from Juventus for Ashley Cole.

* Inter Milan have slapped a £60million transfer fee on Chelsea target Adriano.

* Fulham want Southampton keeper Antti Niemi to replace Edwin van der Sar.

* Everton are to call off their pursuit of Chelsea striker Mikael Forssell due to fears over his knee injury, and will now move for Newcastle's Craig Bellamy.

* West Ham are leading the hunt to sign Malaga striker Paulo Wanchope, with Portsmouth and Sheffield United also keen on the former West Ham and Manchester City striker.

* Middlesbrough want to sign Bolton defender Radhi Jaidi.

DAILY EXPRESS

* Frank Arnesen feels that his move to Chelsea is the opportunity of a lifetime.

* Newcastle face a battle with Liverpool for Chelsea midfielder Scott Parker.

* Portsmouth have stepped up their bid to sign Israel striker Yaniv Katan.

WonkaHead22

HSC
everton didnt get forrsel

geez if they cant even get him good luck getting any decent striker..

RUB!X

Bergkamp 10
HSC
i dont like bellemy, he gives me the shits, unlucky that everton didnt get forsell or parker, damn *dissapointed face*...

copious

Linbo rox my sox
HSC
dammit west ham does not need paulo wanchope, he's bullocks.

T

timbk2

WonkaHead22 said:
everton didnt get forrsel

geez if they cant even get him good luck getting any decent striker..
yea, apparently forrsel failed the everton medical due to his injury.

Paragon

Pleased to Beat You
Circular Quay .... Patriotism + Football.
HSC
Oi, here's the Actim Index for the 04/05 EPL season. In a nutshell,

(i) Chelsea had the best player in each position (Cech, Terry, Lampard) except upfront which was taken out by Henry. (TH was also the best overall player for the second year running).

(ii) In the Championship, Ipswich had the top 2 defenders, and the best MF; Wigan had two of the top 3 strikers. Plus, the best GK was Australia's own John Filan (Rovers reject) playing for Wigan.

(iii) Of the Aussies in the EPL, Timmy Cahill finished 18th, Neill 85th, and Emerton 100th.

(iv) Only 5 L'pool players managed to get in the Top 100, the best being Carra on 38th.

(v) Magpies only had Given at 87th.

(vi) Chelsea had the most reps. with 12. (5 of which were in the Top 10).

(vii) Arsenal had 11 players in there.

(viii) Villa had 7 reps.

(ix) United had 9 players, Giggs the best finishing on 14th.

Link

Benny_

Elementary Penguin
HSC
Rubbish. Even Red Cafe people think Carragher's the 2nd best CB in te PL.

Paragon

Pleased to Beat You
HSC
Benny_ said:
Rubbish. Even Red Cafe people think Carragher's the 2nd best CB in te PL.
I dunno, but the stats are verified using a certain criteria, and playing for a successful team is handy, therefore Gallas and Toure did so well although they aren't as good a player as Carra. Personally, I reckon as far as English CBs go, in terms of performances he should be 3rd best behind Terry and Rio. Interesting reading though.

Benny_

Elementary Penguin
HSC
Sol's internationa career is over I think. He's old, and England has the most depth in CBs in the world. Even if Sven played 4 CBs he still wouldn't make it. (Terry, Carra, Rio, King). In theory anyway. Sven however is I believe, a dipshit. If he actually paid any attention to how his players were performing, he would've dropped David Beckham for Shaun Wright-Phillips a long time ago. He has a way of rewarding players for their reputation rather than good performances, so maybe Sol still has a chance.

Paragon

Pleased to Beat You
HSC
Benny_ said:
Sol's internationa career is over I think. He's old, and England has the most depth in CBs in the world. Even if Sven played 4 CBs he still wouldn't make it. (Terry, Carra, Rio, King). In theory anyway. Sven however is I believe, a dipshit. If he actually paid any attention to how his players were performing, he would've dropped David Beckham for Shaun Wright-Phillips a long time ago. He has a way of rewarding players for their reputation rather than good performances, so maybe Sol still has a chance.
He can't just drop Becks and that's because he is one of only a few players to have performed competently at international level. Dropping DB means designating a new England Captain, and while there are good leaders within the EPL, I don't think anyone is quite yet ready to fill in that role. I'm not saying Becks is the best Captain around, but looking at the current English side, few are upto to the task of leading England internationally. Unless/until Sven adopts a different playing system, I'm afraid SWP will just have to wait.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)