SOFT subjects (the easy way out) . Your thoughts? (1 Viewer)

Black.Magic

HSC
Comrades, in case you don't know what I mean, a soft subject is one that is very easy compared to other, 'hard subjects'. (e.g. any extension course, sciences excluding biology, etc...)

People choose them, despite their woeful scaling, thinking they can ace them so it doesn't matter. But it does. You lose your man/womanhood. You do your country a dishonour by reinforcing the stereotype that this is a land of slack anti-intellectual drinkers.

Now don't get me wrong, there are some people who genuinely deserve to do soft subjects. For example, if English isn't your first language, it's fine to do the Standard course. But if you've living in an anglophonic country for your whole life and you do the Standard course and you're not mentally impaired... well, I'm fighting hard not to write expletives.
A list of soft subjects, for those who are a little confused:
-- General maths
-- English Standard
-- Legal Studies. Oh yes.
-- Studies of Religion
-- Geography
-- Business Studies
-- Biology
-- All those accredited subjects or whatever, like sheet metal working.
-- anything else that strikes you as a subject for people with undersized brains.

Now, granted, I am trying to be at least a bit inflammatory, but, my good people, what are your thoughts on these soft subjects and the ninnies who do them? (They're off the hook if they have some sort of mental impairment, God bless them).
Should we force them to do real subjects like physics and maths, and English extension? (Though physics is slowly becoming more and more like a humanity subject).

Go fourth and express your important opinion.

runnable

HSC
Everyone should study at the level they are comfortable with.

Declaring certain subjects "soft" sounds like baseless arrogance to me.

runnable

HSC
I bet, someone will get a much higher UAI than yourself by doing "soft" subjects. And it has been done before many times.

slowjam10

HSC
runnable said:
Everyone should study at the level they are comfortable with.

Declaring certain subjects "soft" sounds like baseless arrogance to me.
I agree with you 100%...

To the OP, however ...its fun being in a state of blissful ignorance

although it is just a time:bomb:

bao28

HSC
if ur only studying for the UAI, ull hafta redo some courses in UNI anyway depending on what ur studying, so why not earlier then later?

sonyaleeisapixi

inkfacewhorebitchpixie.
HSC
It's true. Maths General is softer than Advanced. Etc, etc.

However;
There should be nothing wrong with people taking them if thats the level they're willing to work at. I took advanced for a year and thought it was a crock of shit. I wasn't doing badly, but I wasn't excelling, and I like to excel. General is alot smoother and requires less effort. Of course its easier. Thats why I dropped down.

Not everyone is a brain surgeon. Its up to you to get the most out of your HSC; if that means taking classes that are 'softer' but more related to a profession you're interested in and that do not perhaps require a high UAI or university at all, then go for it.

If however, you are just a lazy shit and take the easier classes because mums making you do the HSC, you deserve what ever you get.

People generally excel in things they enjoy. Thus, if a student enjoys Hospo and doesn't do maths because they feel they've got enough skills in that area to demonstrate capability in say, a profession in hospitality, good on them, they're going to do well and make their HSC something they can use.

I've always been amazed at these kids that take 4u maths and english, all the sciences, but still don't have a direction in life.

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
Faggot cunt, I did General Maths AND Biology (granted I did 3U English and 3U History too) and having seen how woeful people went in both, I wouldn't call them 'soft'.

A few you missed out on though -
Community and Family Studies
ESL
PD/H/PE

Dr.Chau

Banned
HSC
sonyaleeisapixi said:
o_O
Did you just rate my response out of 10? Or have I missed something?
I think he rated the thread, however, I could be wrong.

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
This poor kid wants to get into Medicine with CAFS and Legal Studies and General maths and all sorts of horribly, horribly soft subjects :(

Seamus733

HSC
At OP: Do you know how hard it is to get a Band 6 in English Standard? I'm 11th out of 298 at my school, and there's still no way I can get a Band 6.
Studies of Religion is not even close to soft as well...

In expressing my opinion: You sir, are an idiot.

HSC
N/A
personally i dont think that pe is a soft subject their is a fair bit of content to remember and can sometimes be actually be quite difficult, i am not saying that it is like math ext 1/2 or physics or anythig like that, but it definitley is not like standard english or general maths. anyone else agree??

AkaiHanabi

Thread killer
HSC
Hmm... Biology is a soft subject is it? There's a heck of a lot to remember, so I don't think it's a soft subject. But it's not going to scale very well in comparison to other subjects, especially the extensions etc

What makes Legal studies a soft subject? I don't talk to people who actually take the subject, so I have no idea

fallenstar

liberate, educate.
HSC
Labelling subjects 'soft' is ridiculous. Everyone knows that to excel in anything, you have to put in heaps of work. I hate people saying Society & Culture is a joke of a subject just because they perceive it to be one of those subjects bludgers take. Granted, of course bludgers take it. There are bound to be bludgers in any subject. But that doesn't mean all the people who do it are any less intelligent than people who do Physics or any of the other stereotypically 'smart' subjects. I would like to see those who study Chemistry or Ext 2 Maths take Society and see how they go writing a 6000+ word project on the influence of gender on the imagination of a child. That was a lot of effing work and people who degrade it by saying it's a 'soft' subject really irritate me.

One of my friends does Biology, she's really smart and works pretty hard at it. There is an insane amount of content in that course - same for 2U Religion. And as for the other subjects you mentioned, I don't think that if someone takes Geography or Legal they are necessarily intellectually deficient compared to those who take the 'harder' subjects.

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
sonyaleeisapixi said:
It's true. Maths General is softer than Advanced. Etc, etc.

However;
There should be nothing wrong with people taking them if thats the level they're willing to work at. I took advanced for a year and thought it was a crock of shit. I wasn't doing badly, but I wasn't excelling, and I like to excel. General is alot smoother and requires less effort. Of course its easier. Thats why I dropped down.

Not everyone is a brain surgeon. Its up to you to get the most out of your HSC; if that means taking classes that are 'softer' but more related to a profession you're interested in and that do not perhaps require a high UAI or university at all, then go for it.

If however, you are just a lazy shit and take the easier classes because mums making you do the HSC, you deserve what ever you get.

People generally excel in things they enjoy. Thus, if a student enjoys Hospo and doesn't do maths because they feel they've got enough skills in that area to demonstrate capability in say, a profession in hospitality, good on them, they're going to do well and make their HSC something they can use.

I've always been amazed at these kids that take 4u maths and english, all the sciences, but still don't have a direction in life.
its the people who are good at everything that have problems deciding what they want to do with themselves i think

wLym

HSC
I do 4U math, adv english, chem, phys, business...its waaaaay hell. Hell, if i ever knew before i started the hsc, i woulda stocked up on my soft subjects...

erm

HSC
-may-cat- said:
its the people who are good at everything that have problems deciding what they want to do with themselves i think
you are right on the money.

i'm no genius, but i consider myself to be equally good at all my subjects (which aren't all just maths based/humanities based - nice spread).

I find it incredibly hard to figure out what i want to study next year. Basically i've got so many options that i could potentially like, i'm kinda lost.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)