Software, Business or Engineering. (1 Viewer)

stevey6404

HSC
Hello, today I went to my information night and I'm quite stuck with my choices and I must make them by Friday =\

At the start, I was considering Ext Maths, Ext English, Physics, Economics, Software and Engineering Studies but then after our head of commerce made a presentation on business/economics, business looked interesting and I added it to my list and now after subject information night today, I'm quite..stuck

My definite subjects are:
-Extension Maths
-Extension English
-Physics
-Economics

So I have 3 left overs of which I can only pick 2 because our limit is 14 units (if you do both extension)
My choices left are Software Development, Business and Engineering Studies.

Below is my half semester ranks for some subjects, I've excluded some topics such as PDH etc because they aren't related to my year 11 subjects:
-English 15/172
-Maths 14/86 (Pathway A - There's 3 Pathways, A's highest)
-Science 31/172
-Commerce 4/114
-IST - 3/44

So everyone, little help please in suggesting which two of the three subjects (Software, BUsiness or Engineering Studies) should I take next year, and explain please =]

Thank you.

Uncle

Banned
HSC
engineering studies.
business studies are often filled with those retards who just couldnt bear taking physics or some other better quality subject on the same line who will drag you down.

maths94

HSC
i would 100% go engineering studies...as if you choose engineering as a course in UNIVERSITY... physics..maths extention 1 is practically compulsory to do the course and engineering studies will just b an added bonus.

From Software or business just choose one i would prefer business as commerce to me is a very easy subject to learn. If you like software then go for it. Go for the subject you think you will go good at and the subject you will like. It wont really matter if u pick software instead of business or business instead of software. So good luck :)

Dumbledore

HSC
i can't say on business as i haven't done it

engineering mostly like a more demanding version of physics, in terms of quantity of material covered and mathematical ability on the understanding of concepts level, they are about the same, it contains some elements of chemistry when doing materials.

i dropped prelim engineering and chose software design instead, which i regret. the software course is heavily theory based, even if u considered algorithms as coding which can be argued, there is still only about a 20-80 split in coding vs theory, though if u are a fan of wrote learning, the subject isn't so bad.

in terms of scaling, if u do well (which by looking at ur ranks i'm sure u will) they scale about the same, if u do poorly, engineering scales better

for job prospects, neither are pre requisites for anything even engineering or comp sci itself, quite a lot of people still go into engineering without having done the hsc subject and likewise for software-comp sci

HSC
definitely make a decision between business and engineering studies

don't pick software, it's really lame as.

btw congrats on ur other subject selections. Good Choice

:)

TheStallion

HSC
People have such mixed feelings about SDD. For me, it's an easy subject and a great UAI booster, which I enjoy, while many others that i've seen on both BOS and in my class hate it.

Just pick whatever you enjoy the most, all three are great subjects.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)