Soldiers are not heroes (1 Viewer)

Rothbard

HSC
N/A
Just out of curiosity, why do the majority of you believe that the invasion of Afghanistan was unjustified? I do understand your argument on Iraq; I am fully against that war and I believe that the reasons for invading were stupid and unwarranted but Afghanistan? Also, in one of those liberal GET OUR TROOPS OUT OF AFGHANISTAN leaflets at USYD last year, you got the picture wrong. You had a photo of US Marines in Helmand carrying M16A4s, M4A1s and a SAW in MARPAT desert fatigues (Australian infantry carry the F88 and F89 and wear DPCU and operate in Oruzgan, which is greener and more mountainous than Helmand though a small number of support Engineer elements of the ADF operate in Kandahar as well, I believe).
Because we were in there to get Bin Laden but ended up attacking the Taleban who were going to hand him over to us.

What the fuck dude.

Who gives a fuck what the SA say they are total mongoloids.

Rothbard

HSC
N/A
im kinda shocked you all have such low opinions of soldiers. At least give them some respect - a lot of them don't just kill people, but are given the job of protecting the citizens, and rebuilding the country. And also Australian soldiers aren't American soldiers. Mass murder of civilians is more the US's style
Yeah except Aus soldiers raped and murdered the most in WW2 etc

Rothbard

HSC
N/A
People who are paid to be murderers are revered when they're killed?

Seems as if they're reaping what they sow.

davidbarnes

Trainee Mȯderatȯr
HSC
Soldiers are still heroes even if you don't agree with the war they are involved with, they are just doing their job (and risking their life on an everyday basis).

HSC
so the SS-Totenkopfverbände were heroes for mass murdering jews?

the Libyan Army Airforce are heroes for using .50cal rounds and helicopter gunships on peaceful protestors?

Jaundice

Banned
HSC
N/A
Soldiers fight their leaders wars.

Soldiers fight unnecessary wars.

I don't agree with our wars like Iraq and Afghanistan.

The soldiers that enlist think they are being patriotic and doing their bit for our country.

But I think we over glorify the fallen soldiers in modern wars. Deaths are a part of war. Its almost as if they are treated as more important than past soldiers in the World Wars.

I don't know if thats because of our media forms that weren't around during WWs (people are more informed) or if its simply an attempt to justify the invasion of other countries.

Rothbard

HSC
N/A
Their job is to kill people, that is their job. I'm sorry if I don't feel an iota of sympathy for paid murderers.

HSC
"The Libyan Navy reportedly shelled demonstrators from the sea, and Gaddafi allegedly issued execution orders to soldiers refusing to fire on protesters"

heroes

just doing their job

HSC
SS-Totenkopfverbände were just doing their job hey

just gassin the jews just they was told

risking their life to gas the joos

heroes

Jaundice

Banned
HSC
N/A
We need troops incase of emergency or crisis and its better to have experienced and well trained up troops at your disposal.

So people who sign up for that I think are doing their bit for their country.

But people who sign up thinking killing people is cool and all iraqis are evil are scumbags.

Being a soldier means you follow orders.

Tbh I would be more inclined to revere soldiers who have gone against orders to save lives; soldiers with a conscience.

Jaundice

Banned
HSC
N/A
Their job is to kill people, that is their job. I'm sorry if I don't feel an iota of sympathy for paid murderers.
Don't get me wrong. I have no sympathy for them.

But I understand why patriotic people do.

Last edited:

Jaundice

Banned
HSC
N/A
Soldiers nowadays are hired mercenaries by the Government to implement their invasion policies.

HSC
the only soldiers who are heroes are volunteers who enlist during a period of war to protect their homeland (their interests. family/freedom etc) from invasion 9and consquential denial of freedoms)

soldiers in afghanistan etc are not heroes
they are mercenaries

i would 100% love to go to aghanistan in the infantry. but i am under no illusion that i would be anything other than a paid murderer (not a hero). i have no qualms with this but to suggest than anyone doing so is a hero is disgusting.

Jaundice

Banned
HSC
N/A
i agree 100% with that.

do you have the option as a soldier to reject deployment to these wars?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)