Solomon Islands? Should they join us (1 Viewer)

timlay

is gonna lawyer you
HSC
we shouldn't take it. they need their culture whatever it is. i mean it was wrong for australia to take aboriginal people away. so like. yeah.

on the other hand, you never know they might have some great rugby talent. AND they could be what Hawaii is to the USA....

Raginsheep

HSC
It doesn't really matter; due to global warming they'll probably all be environmental refugees in 50-100years time anyway and end up here unless we continue on with the Pacific Solution....

brainwad

His Imperial Majesty
HSC
God no... aside fromt he fact that its plain uneconomic to start absorbing tinpot little pacific islands, it'd be a PR disaster. There goes all our credibility with the ASEAN member states, who are already not on the best of terms with us, what with the Indonesian controversy and our "reservations" to the treaty of Amity and Cooperation. Adding them as a *state* is just insanity, because I think you'd find that a racist backlash would be whipped up very quickly, and the Senate power they'd hold in our current Senate would be extremely disproportionate.

And what makes you think that they even want to be part of Australia? :)

i don't think that they'd get senators (christmas island doesn't have senators, or is it part of an australian state/territory?), but its alot to ask for a population to give up their sovereignety.
Christmas Island doesn't have explicit representatives; for the purposes of the Electoral Act the islands are part of the constituency of Lingiari (just as Lord Howe is in the Sydney electorate and Macquarie is in the Franklin electorate)

Kyle O'Brien

HSC
The whole reason the riots started up in the first place was due to the government being to closely associated with Chinese buisness, and anger at Chinese people seeming to control more of the wealth than any other group. I can't imagine us actually taking over the control of the country would go down particular well with the citizens. If they started rioting due to increased influence of Chinese people in buisness, there not going to take us taking over the control of country with out an open conflict I believe.

HSC
Vahl3 said:
Imperialism is a healthy reality.
It protects us from the barbarians.
Yes, clearly this is the case, you seem to be implying a number of outrageous claims here.
1) The obvious one, Imperialism is a reality - say what? We are talking about the PURSUIT of imperialist policy here not just the existence.

2) That the inhabitants of the Solomon Islands are somehow barbarous. Non comprende senor.

BronwynKate

HSC
Having a riot is not a particularly civilised way to solve political or social problems.

I would say they were temporary barbarians.

But barbarians are a permanent state.

If the Solomon Islanders were Australians they wouldn't be barbarians any more.

HSC
BronwynKate said:
Having a riot is not a particularly civilised way to solve political or social problems.

I would say they were temporary barbarians.

But barbarians are a permanent state.
Barbarians are in no means defined by a permanent state, barbarian in the modern context simply means an uncivilised person (yeah lets be nice and objective dictionary, good one). Anyway, the point is that i dont think you can label an entire nation as uncivilised simply because of a spontaneous riot.

If the Solomon Islanders were Australians they wouldn't be barbarians any more.
Can anyone else say racist? I sure can.

BronwynKate

HSC
It's not just the one riot that I am concerned with.

It is the pattern of riots, and it has happened over a very short time.

I was simply referring to the Ancient Greek term that means barbarians are foreigners.

They still have the choice whether to be Australian or not, unless the environment makes it for them.

(If there is a big climate change and they become refugees).

Since independence the Solomon Islands has been struggling with resources and with other things - to maintain a stable government Australians take for granted.

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
How exactly will renaming them Australians magically solve everything?

Or does this only exist in make believe faerie land in your head?????

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)