someone please clarify that 11 units is safe. (1 Viewer)

MrTammoth

HSC
So this is like a part 2 from my first thread and i'm not aware of how 11 units work. So someone please kindly respond to this thread with all your wisdom.

pigas

HSC
Your best 10 units will be counted. So if you are good in those units... then I guess you're safe? Really depends.

MrTammoth

HSC
Atm im doing maths ext 1 and im doing relatively quite well. If say I half failed a subject for eg chem does that mean the other good half counts?

Crobat

#tyrannosaurusREKT
HSC
Atm im doing maths ext 1 and im doing relatively quite well. If say I half failed a subject for eg chem does that mean the other good half counts?
How does one half-fail a subject..?

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
The other good half?

If you get say 30/100 in chem, and a 45/50 in ext 1, then the 2 best units of these 3 units will count (assuming all your other units are fine).

As a result, you will get a 45/50 unit and a 15/50 unit which are aligned for an aggregate for your ATAR.

enoilgam

HSC
I think OP means , "there's something to fall back on if they don't do good in one subject."
Misread by me (I thought that he was implying that 11 units is unsafe). Carrying 11+ units is only a good idea if you are doing well in all your subjects - if you arent doing well in the extra unit(s), then it probably isnt worth it.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
To OP:

1 unit of ext1 maths is just an ATAR booster.

Depending on your performance in each subject, some people could classify 10 units as safe or 12 units as unsafe.

It depends on your personal performances really.

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
So this is like a part 2 from my first thread and i'm not aware of how 11 units work. So someone please kindly respond to this thread with all your wisdom.
It's not safe. But it MAY be safer than doing 10 units depending on your performance in each subject

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
There's no real 'safe' in the HSC.

I mean it'll just mean half of one of your two unit subjects doesn't count (2 units of English always count though btw).

Aim of the game is just to do well enough in 10 units to get your desired score. 11 units may help you mitgate the drag of a slightly weaker sub if you are good at MX1. (good scaler).

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC
If you screw up one subject, only half of it will count towards your ATAR (if its a two unit subject). If you screw up one unit (assuming you do extensions other than math), then it won't count and the other 10 (2 compulsory english units) will count.

Relax, 11 units is a good number. Not as much work as 12, but you still have the "security" of an extra unit.

Maxwell

bow peasants
HSC
Essentially what happens is:

Say your mark in Chemistry was 50/100, whereas your mark in Math Extension 1 was 40/50 (just to keep it relatively simply). As Chemistry is a 2-UNIT subject, the mark out of 100 is halved, to form two marks out of 50 (in this case, 25/50 and 25/50). As Math Extension 1 is already a 1-UNIT subject, it does not need to go through this progress.

Okay, the next step is consider what units will actually count (ultimately, two of the above units WILL count; either ONE of the two units of Chemistry and Maths Ex 1 OR, both of the units of Chemistry). However, considering the candidate's performance in Mathematics Extension 1 outshines that of Chemistry, only ONE of the two units of Chemistry (i.e. one of the 25/50's) will count. The second unit of Chemistry will be 'remedied' by Mathematics Extension 1 mark out of 50, to form a new mark out of 100 - 65/100 (this was calculated using one of the units of Chemistry (25/50) and the Maths Extension 1 mark (40/50) to form a total out of 100).

Comparatively, this is much better than a 50/100 in Chemistry. I believe the Board of Studies then subject the half of the marks (i.e. 25/50 and 40/50) to scaling/aligning and a bunch of other complicated and somewhat unknown processes to form your HSC mark. Thus, 11 units is RELATIVELY safe.
At the end of the day it doesn't really matter. I do 11-units; what will happen will happen. However, it must be noted that your BEST 2 units of English will always count (so if you do Extension English, it may 'remedy' Advanced English, or vice versa, in the same way as aforementioned). Hopefully this made sense, it's kinda late.

MrTammoth

HSC
Omg thank you all for your wonderful feedback. My confidence has just boosted so much i managed to come first in maths ext 1 test that i just completed last week.

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC
Omg thank you all for your wonderful feedback. My confidence has just boosted so much i managed to come first in maths ext 1 test that i just completed last week.
Congrats on first place!! What a feat! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cleavage

Clarence
HSC
Uni Grad
Congrads for the 1st place!

To me, I think 10 units is perfectly safe, its all about how comfortable you feel with your subjects. If I become comfortable with 4U, I'll drop another subject, so I'm at 10 units. But right now, I'm unsure about how I'll go, so I'm staying on 12 units.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)