someone put my mind at rest please (1 Viewer)

Mrdoubleabcd

HSC
Im currently transitioning into year 11 and I have an exam for extension 1 maths and English, as well as advance English and maths. They already said since we have too many people in advance English they're dropped 12 people and 1 extension maths class.

I don't know what to do if I fail the tests :confused2: I don't know how to feel..

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Why on Earth would your school do that?
Year 10 maths is the embodiment of general maths/2-unit. Most people who did well in year 10 maths actually failed in 2-unit and dropped down to general.
Year 10 English has nothing to do with HSC English. In year 11 I was denied the opportunity to do ext 1 English by my year 10 teacher. In year 12, my English teacher (a different one) wished that I was in ext. english, because I smashed over half of the extension cohort.

If you fail anything, don't worry too much. These tests are inaccurate of your ability. You should not let this get in the way of your schooling.
If you are denied the opportunity to do what you want, I strongly recommend you to change schools. When I was denied ext. English I didn't feel too bad because it wasn't going to be a big issue with what I wanted to do later in life.

But in your case, the school might be denying you the chance to do the uni course later on, without having to do a bridging course.

bec3

HSC
I'm not sure what your school is like, but I know in year 11 we were threatened with being dropped especially in english as we had so many advanced classes.
This never actually happened, and a lot of people failed and stayed there!

The thing to do is do your best, and if you are dropped down, it means that this level is more suited to you and will probably give you a better result in the long run anyway. I found with these 'we're going to drop you down a level' threats, competition became enormous, and that hindered our study. I'm not saying give out all your notes, but working together is helpful and keeping connections will help immensely after HSC trials when you all have to work as a group.

Focus on applying yourself to the best of your ability
After all, what more can you do?

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Im currently transitioning into year 11 and I have an exam for extension 1 maths and English, as well as advance English and maths. They already said since we have too many people in advance English they're dropped 12 people and 1 extension maths class.

I don't know what to do if I fail the tests :confused2: I don't know how to feel..
The number one fear people often have is the fear of failure... I live by a mantra which basically goes like, 'when you fail, pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and try again'- if you are worrying about things like people being dropped from classes-something you can't control-you will just add some unnecessary anxiety which will inhibit your performance, just calm yourself down, plan a schedule of how you are going to study those tests efficiently, re-hydrate yourself with water, and give the upcoming test all that you have got, and if you go fail, then keep trying-if they see you are consistently putting the effort and genuinely want to stay or do the course, they won't drop you out-they will give you a chance-teachers only really throw people who don't want to study or who evidently only chose the subject because it is high scaling whilst they evidently don't have the capacity to handle the work load

-you are not one of those type of people-so don't worry, just start studying, try your best, and have a much well-deserved rest, and of course, I hope for the best:) you will be fine, stop panicking:)

eastpak

HSC
N/A

Well, you should rather talk to your parents or some elders around you. They can tell you alot about how to remain calm when you haven't got power to change something you would like to. It allways helps me to talk to my mom.

Mrdoubleabcd

HSC
UPDATE: I think I did okay in my Ee1 major assignment, my flunked ext 1 maths (so did everyone else), advance English and maths are in week 10, hopes in doing well. Planning to be reluctant to move down if they force me, any opinions on that?

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
UPDATE: I think I did okay in my Ee1 major assignment, my flunked ext 1 maths (so did everyone else), advance English and maths are in week 10, hopes in doing well. Planning to be reluctant to move down if they force me, any opinions on that?
You can do that, and make sure your parents write written complaints and have interviews and such. You should do ok imo.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)