song for related text (1 Viewer)

lil-chilean

HSC
hi all
just wourding if song is a good related text for belonging.so far just been thinking of songs such as:
  • Working class hero by john lennon
  • My island home by Christina Anu
  • i still call Austraila home

HSC
Uni Grad
While I really didnt like the song at all, we looked at "Bridal Train" by The Waifs in class so I used that rather than trying to find another related text. It has a fair bit of stuff you can get out of it for belonging.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
I recommend you not do a song, unless you can both analyse the musical compositional aspects of the song as well. :)

jet

Banned
HSC
I agree with Aerath. You need to analyse the musical component. I did a song myself (did not end up using it in the HSC however)

wendybird

HSC
I second what Aerath said.

You DO need to be analysing the musical components of the song, and NOT just the lyrics. Otherwise you may as well be analysing a poem.

This is what my english teacher - top HSC marker with 40+ years experience said to me.

This is also why she strongly suggested that we stay as far away from songs as a related text as possible. It really is difficult to pull off, and most people end up only describing the lyrics - which is not sophisticated analysis at all.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Agreeing with Aerath as well.

Song lyrics do not exist in isolation. To take them from the music would be to manipulate their meaning.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)