Sophistication in English Essays (1 Viewer)

Web Addict

HSC
Hi.

I've been reading sample essays which achieved Band 6's so that I can compare them with mine. Most of them, if not all of them, sound really sophisticated and advanced, however the language I use in my essays is very simple compared to theirs. Will this hinder me from getting a high mark? I know that it's too late for me, but how the hell are they able to write that well?

Thank you.

Last edited:

NWO

HSC
HAHA, i know waht you mean lmoa. did you read those advanced english essays? Each and every world is concise and precise. its impossible to even reproduce 1/10 of their essays. However, yes, if your essay contains lots of flaws, simple vocab. But if ur doing standard r u? Then its ok. theres 100k ppl doing eng hsc this year. dont change now lol its tooo late. next year mate

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
The language is probably more sophisticated, because they've spent time (probably unconsciously) making it more sophisticated. If you try and replicate that without that background, it probably won't work. At this stage in the game, you're better off sticking to the clear simple language you know how to use properly.

Web Addict

HSC
HAHA, i know waht you mean lmoa. did you read those advanced english essays? Each and every world is concise and precise. its impossible to even reproduce 1/10 of their essays. However, yes, if your essay contains lots of flaws, simple vocab. But if ur doing standard r u? Then its ok. theres 100k ppl doing eng hsc this year. dont change now lol its tooo late. next year mate
LOL. Next year?

Unfortunately, I'm doing advanced English and there is no way I can write with the same sophistication as any of the Band 6 essays that I've seen. Hopefully, I can achieve a Band 5 with my simple language.

The language is probably more sophisticated, because they've spent time (probably unconsciously) making it more sophisticated. If you try and replicate that without that background, it probably won't work. At this stage in the game, you're better off sticking to the clear simple language you know how to use properly.
I know that it's too late for me , but how can you learn this skill?

Last edited:

QZP

HSC
I don't understand half the words in high band 6 essays but I've always been lead to believe that being able to put forward your thesis and argument in an elegant matter (not necessarily using high vocabulary) is as good as any essay. Comments?

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
I know that it's too late for me , but how can you learn this skill?
To be honest, I don't really know. I can give you recommendations, like read a lot, write a lot, edit a lot. Different forms, different texts. But I don't know if it actually helps. Any sort of conscious effort to improve ones vocabulary always seemed a bit dodgy to me.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
I don't understand half the words in high band 6 essays but I've always been lead to believe that being able to put forward your thesis and argument in an elegant matter (not necessarily using high vocabulary) is as good as any essay. Comments?
If you argument is just as strong with simple words, there's no problem. The issue is that more sophisticated words give you access to more sophisticated expression and ideas.

Web Addict

HSC
If you argument is just as strong with simple words, there's no problem. The issue is that more sophisticated words give you access to more sophisticated expression and ideas.
Sadly, it is true that sophisticated words allow you to have more sophisticated expressions and ideas.

What if the markers don't understand what you're saying? I know a few people who got deducted marks in some exams because the teacher didn't understand what they were saying and she couldn't be bothered to look up the words in a dictionary.

Last edited:

Crobat

#tyrannosaurusREKT
HSC
Sadly, it is true that sophisticated words allow you to have more sophisticated expressions and ideas.

What if the markers don't understand what you're saying? I know a few people who got deducted marks in some exams because the teacher didn't understand what they were saying and she couldn't be bothered to look up the words in a dictionary.
That's often the trap with people who don't naturally have a sophisticated writing expression who have tried to make up for it by using the wrongs word they've gone and pulled out of a thesaurus that might be incorrect (particularly if you use Thesaurus.com). If the teacher can't understand it, then they simply can't give you marks for it.

And unfortunately for most of the high Band 6 responses, sophistication is something that basically comes naturally. Some of the responses you'll be looking at have just simply been a generic for quite some time, and have just been very concisely refined to the point where it's succinct and expressive until it has become sophisticated. They were then obviously rote-learned, but I would also stretch it to say that during the editing/refining process of rote-learning, they developed a somewhat sophisticated standard of writing too which helped them to adapt in the exam.

I'm not really sure how to become more sophisticated in your writing. I'm a firm believer in pragmatism so that's why I'm kind of guessing rote-learning helps as in the editing process, you're constantly changing the sentence structures and language use, etc, and replicating that in your other essays until it just becomes your natural style/standard of writing. Being exposed to it through reading and the like is good, but doesn't necessarily help you learn to be sophisticated more than it does simply show you who already are sophisticated since you aren't personally doing anything. It might be a manner of practise makes perfect, but I think it's mostly a natural skill, and definitely one of the most difficult ones to try and learn.

QZP

HSC
@Crobat
Good points. I have always noticed a drastic (positive) change in writing style when editing my own essays or other texts. I suppose it's just a matter of sustaining the practise until the improved writing style becomes habitual/natural (however I doubt there is any hope in improving for current year 12's).

NWO

HSC
lol? gg hsc. SHoulndt be a teacher at all , if they students know more than you? People like that need to get fired immediately.

NWO

HSC
Your sophiscated language is a strong indication that you had attained band 6 for English.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)