Sorry i know this is about yr 12 but i though you guy would know more to help me out! (1 Viewer)

Bigbang34

HSC
N/A
Hello everyone im in yr 11 and just asking im doing 2U maths and i just got my first term (half yearly results) back and i did pretty bad and didnt even past, i am very dissapointed and worried about my atar, if i dont do that good in adv maths would it affect my atar bringing it down, or if i do general maths would my atar still be still high if i do good in it... please help me and i am aiming for an atar of 90+

My subjects im doing:

Biology
Earth and Environmental
Adv English
2u Maths
Visual Arts
IPT

THANKS ALOT EVERYONE :D

Kimyia

HSC
Uni Grad
Re: Sorry i know this is about yr 12 but i though you guy would know more to help me

How did you go in comparison to everyone else in 2U?

Bigbang34

HSC
N/A
Re: Sorry i know this is about yr 12 but i though you guy would know more to help me

I think i went pretty bad, dont know where i came in the class somewhere last maybe!! :(

shame on me.....

Kimyia

HSC
Uni Grad

I think i went pretty bad, dont know where i came in the class somewhere last maybe!! :(

shame on me.....
Ok. Do you need 2U level maths for what you want to do in uni?
And how much effort did you put into this exam? Because if you didn't study much, then its not your maths ability, its your studying habits.

Magical Kebab

HSC

Something like this happenned to me in 3u. Listen, get ur paper back, go to ur teacher and tell him/her to sit down with u on a lunchtime and discuss it with them, see your mistakes, write down each and every mistake and think about what you did it and how you can improve. Then, set whatever time u were allowed in ur half yearlies and redo ur exam under exam pressure. Mark it, and see where u lost the marks. Do everything again until u get everything right.
Believe me, keep at it and work hard and keep 2u. For Maths, practice makes perfect.

Good luck friend.

Ryan_T90

HSC

You're only in Year 11, just see how you go and also in comparison to your other subjects and then decide at the end of the year whether you want to drop to General or not, or maybe even just drop the subject.

Kimyia

HSC
Uni Grad

Something like this happenned to me in 3u. Listen, get ur paper back, go to ur teacher and tell him/her to sit down with u on a lunchtime and discuss it with them, see your mistakes, write down each and every mistake and think about wh you did it and how you can improve. Then, set whatever time u were allowed in ur half yearlies and redo ur exam under exam pressure. Mark it, and see where u lost the marks. Do everything again until u get everything right.
Believe me, keep at it and work hard and keep 2u. For Maths, practice makes perfect.

Good luck friend.
This. Do as many past papers as you can - it really, really helps.

Bigbang34

HSC
N/A

I'm going to study medicine(maybe reseacher) or Dentistry, well guessing i kind of studied not that well, when we do homework and that im perfectly fine with it can understand it and do it but when it come to test i just go blank and forget... well if i didnt study that well do you have advice to study better and get good marks please, thanks alot :D

Magical Kebab

HSC

I'm going to study medicine(maybe reseacher) or Dentistry, well guessing i kind of studied not that well, when we do homework and that im perfectly fine with it can understand it and do it but when it come to test i just go blank and forget... well if i didnt study that well do you have advice to study better and get good marks please, thanks alot :D
Well, again, PRACTICE!!!
I was depressed after my result, but I learnt from my mistakes and did what I wrote before and guess what, things do work out :)
Again, it's only year 11 but learn now. Studying for Maths? Hmm let me see... PRACTICEEEEEE. Yep that's it, practice papers, topic tests, chapter revisions, exercises where u feel u are week. Maybe ask your teacher on the specifics but practice is key.

Bigbang34

HSC
N/A

ok, thanks Magical keb and everyone else for their help i appreciate it!! i feel abit better now! :D thanks alot!

Magical Kebab

HSC

ok, thanks Magical keb and everyone else for their help i appreciate it!! i feel abit better now! :D thanks alot!
No worries mate, all the best, keep at it and talk with ur teachers.

Good luck champ.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A

Something like this happenned to me in 3u. Listen, get ur paper back, go to ur teacher and tell him/her to sit down with u on a lunchtime and discuss it with them, see your mistakes, write down each and every mistake and think about what you did it and how you can improve. Then, set whatever time u were allowed in ur half yearlies and redo ur exam under exam pressure. Mark it, and see where u lost the marks. Do everything again until u get everything right.

Good luck friend.
As a teacher I agree with everything you have said except for one word - don't 'tell' your teacher to sit down with you 'ask' your teacher to sit down with you. It is important to remember that teachers are also human beings and using language like 'could you please sit down and go through the exam with me' rather than 'sit down and tell me where I have gone wrong' makes a big difference.

The difference is the difference between good and bad manners.

Maybe you didn't mean exactly to use 'tell' but rather 'ask' but unfortunately I do come across students sometimes who think that teachers are there to do their bidding instantly rather than people who have a lot of other work to do and they may need to arrange their time to see you to fit in with their schedule.

Last edited:

Magical Kebab

HSC

As a teacher I agree with everything you have said except for one word - don't 'tell' your teacher to sit down with you 'ask' your teacher to sit down with you. It is important to remember that teachers are also human beings and using language like 'could you please sit down and go through the exam with me' rather than 'sit down and tell me where I have gone wrong' makes a big difference.

The difference is the difference between good and bad manners.

Maybe you didn't mean exactly to use 'tell' but rather 'ask' but unfortunately I do come across students sometimes who think that teachers are there to do their bidding instantly rather than people who have a lot of other work to do and they may need to arrange their time to see you to fit in with their schedule.
no of course not. Ask your teacher.
I didn't mean it that way.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad

I just want to pitch into OP that you can improve in maths even when you think it is futile.

I did well in maths up until mid Yr 9, but then I started going badly. At the end of Yr 9/10, my rank was the worst for it by far.
In Yr 11, I cam in with new attitude (and better teacher) and picked up, I had to fill in missing gaps of my knowledge, but overall I did far better in Yr 11, ranking better than some in the ext math class.

And now I'm in Yr 12, and I'm doing better, currently coming 4th out of everyone including extension math students.
No tutoring if you ask, just 100x the work I put in jnr, and still 10x more than my other subjects. But something I never appreciated with math until snr school, yes there's only one answer you can't BS, but the objectivity of it means practice and practice will pay off.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)