South Dakota Cowboy Wins $232 Million Powerball Jackpot (1 Viewer)

joseph_lee

HSC
Neal Wanless, a 23-year-old South Dakota rancher from one of the poorest areas of the country, has won one of the biggest lottery jackpots in U.S. lottery history – a $232.1 million Powerball prize.

Having worked extremely hard to help his family make ends meet, Wanless intends to spend his new winnings by repaying the kindness neighbors have shown his family and giving some of the winnings to charity.

read rest here:
South Dakota Cowboy Wins $232 Million Powerball Jackpot : People.com

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
Why do people always give some to charity? is it just to look good? if i won $232.1 million then fuck charity, i dont need to look good i have 200 million fucking dollars

SAVAK

Banned
HSC
N/A
Why do people always give some to charity? is it just to look good? if i won $232.1 million then fuck charity, i dont need to look good i have 200 million fucking dollars
bro, you just proved to us all you're jew.

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
because it would help charity a shitload more than it would help you

if youd just gone from 0 to 2 mil, it wouldnt make a difference if you gave half of it away, youd still be rich as fuck
A lot of charitys are rich as fuck anyways. It just seems to me, hey its my personal gamble to try and win, and the odds arent very good anyway, and the risk is a lot higher than the potential reward. Yet every time someone wins at something, charity wins too. If they wanted to win, they can buy tickets just like everyone else, but they wont because lottery tickets are not a good bet in the long run....so lol they just sponge off people who do take that risk.....and then people who dont want to pay them end up looking "selfish"....like hey, fuck you poor people go gamble for your own millions.

MaNiElla

HSC
N/A
Imagine all the things i'd be able to do with 232 million bucks...

:(

youngminii

Banned
HSC
Donate it all to charity, that way you'll skip tax! It's fucking genius I tells ya.

HSC
A lot of charitys are rich as fuck anyways. It just seems to me, hey its my personal gamble to try and win, and the odds arent very good anyway, and the risk is a lot higher than the potential reward. Yet every time someone wins at something, charity wins too. If they wanted to win, they can buy tickets just like everyone else, but they wont because lottery tickets are not a good bet in the long run....so lol they just sponge off people who do take that risk.....and then people who dont want to pay them end up looking "selfish"....like hey, fuck you poor people go gamble for your own millions.
LOL I thought you were joking from your first post but apparently you're not. When we're talking about millions of dollars I don't think any lottery winner donates (note: there could be winners who say they will but don't) out of pure aesthetics, because they're not used to having the money so would realise how large a sum they're actually giving away. I think that if I won say $100m I'd give at least half away because if you think you need more than $50m to be satisfied you probably won't be happy with $100m either.

winningcars

HSC
congratulations, you're a fuckwit

and you don't look good at all, you're ugly as all fuck

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
congratulations, you're a fuckwit

and you don't look good at all, you're ugly as all fuck
Thanks :) see that is a perfect example of the kind of attitudes people face who want to keep their money. Its legally theirs, but if they dont do the done thing and give a large amount to charity they are looked down on as scumbags.

I think that if I won say $100m I'd give at least half away because if you think you need more than $50m to be satisfied you probably won't be happy with $100m either.
Well this is beside the point, but there are things i would be able to do with 50m that i cant do with 100m. I am not going to just give away money to charities and not be able to account for that money any more or have a say in it. One thing ive always thought would be awesome is if someone set up a trust fund that uses the interest it generates to provide scholarships for indigenous people who live in the sticks but want to learn and want to go to uni. I would set that up myself because i value education and i dont need to look good to everyone but i want to be able to control the money.

The point is when ive just won a fuckload of money, i want to take my time and plan out what i am going to do with it, i dont want to just be pressured into giving half to charities, i want to set my own shit up to make a difference in the world where i think it needs to be made, i dont want to be told that i have to give it to something worthless like make a wish foundation that could be using all that money to find a cure for cancer.

HSC
Well this is beside the point, but there are things i would be able to do with 50m that i cant do with 100m. I am not going to just give away money to charities and not be able to account for that money any more or have a say in it. One thing ive always thought would be awesome is if someone set up a trust fund that uses the interest it generates to provide scholarships for indigenous people who live in the sticks but want to learn and want to go to uni. I would set that up myself because i value education and i dont need to look good to everyone but i want to be able to control the money.

The point is when ive just won a fuckload of money, i want to take my time and plan out what i am going to do with it, i dont want to just be pressured into giving half to charities, i want to set my own shit up to make a difference in the world where i think it needs to be made, i dont want to be told that i have to give it to something worthless like make a wish foundation that could be using all that money to find a cure for cancer.
That's what I meant; I completely agree that self-directed philanthropy would be far more rewarding and useful than giving lump sums to already-popular charities.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)