Special Provisions (1 Viewer)

sleepplease

HSC
michaeln36 what is your problem? you have no idea how poor his writing might be - NOT because he doesn't try, but because he has a physical motor problem! You say it's cheating - well its not fair for him to be disadvantaged because of a physical ailment! That's not fair either! .. i mean, why do you have to be so awful to someone? he, like you, just wants to do as well as possible in his HSC.

HSC
N/A
My special provisions were approved. However I'm not 100% sure what I've got, because I've been too sick to go into school these last few weeks and haven't had any proper communication with the organising teacher (sick with the same illness I applied for special provisions for).

I'm pretty sure I got extra working time, rest breaks, seperate supervision and bite sized food.

However I only do one subject anyway (again same illness), so it's not a huge deal, as I only have one exam.

alyceharrington

HSC
Hey.. My special provisions got accepted and there are about 6 girls in my grade that have special provisions. I get to have a five minute rest break every half an hour. I have only applied for them this year due to been medically sick. Not alot of girls apply for them at my school but i think the girls that do apply normally get them because we get reports from all teachers and i got a doctor to write a letter and the head of my school. So everyone at my schools pretty much gets involved with trying to help out the students which is a good thing.

And by the way, dont brag out people for getting special provisions, you dont know there story you dont know what has happened to them, you think you might know but guess what you most prob dont! so dont call us lazy, grow up your in year 12 remember. And if you guys that dont have special provisions and you are bagging us out.. remember your the lucky ones, something has happened to us that can affect our hsc, not you this is why we are granted these special provisions! So instead of being rude and paying us out take a second and think and wonder why we might have special provisions, because i know im not proud of having them but during the year ive had alot of family and medical things go wrong with me.. SO think before you speak! dont be so rude!

Last edited by a moderator:

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
michaeln36 said:
except that people who get special provisions actually end up BENIFITING from their laziness (of not learning how to write etc.. basic skillz). He got through the first 12 years of school, and now in the final year, where he gets extra time (or gets to type) he decides to pull out this goddam stunt... DISADVANTAGING EVERY ONE OF YOU ON THIS FORUM. EVERY RANK HE GOES UP DUE TO HIS EXTRA TIME IS ONE RANK YOU GO DOWN.
With extra time, duh he can write more, and with typing --- thats a goddam lot faster than writing.
SO, if u like being cheated, like being beaten by someone who had an extra 20 mins to do the exam than u, then support his guy (who the BOS didn't even think deserved special provisions -- and they are VERY LENIENT). But if u like tests to be fair, if u think that everyone should get 2 hours, that everyone should write out their answers .. then tell this idiot to shutup, accept the BOSs decision, AND STUDY LIKE THE REST OF US, rather than trying to cheat us.
One could argue that the only reason you write more slowly than he (or you) types is because of your 'laziness' in learning to write quickly. In addition, has it ever occured to you that if someone has motor skills problems they might not type as fast as you? The typing might only solve the problem of illegibility rather than speed.

Further, why shouldn't someone 'pull out this goddamn stunt in their final year'?
Year 12 is one of the few years where you are compared on the state level rather than just to the rest of your school (who you could come to a personal arrangement with) and so Year 12 would be the time to notify the state authorities since that is when it actually matters.

Perhaps this discussion would be better served if possible avenues are discussed about special provisions - not just for the thread starter but for anyone needing to know these things who may read it.

To the original poster, are you sure you filled all the paperwork out correctly? As I know the Board can be extraordinarily stubborn when it comes to paperwork - there have been people with intense disabilities who have been turned down simply because they failed to articulate their issues properly on the forms or not signed the right lines/ticked the right boxes.

Bobness

English / Law
HSC
N/A
kami makes great posts

good luck, original poster. i was hoping that half the 'enraged' posters here were sarcastic (like me! .. at least on these serious business forums) but alas it just goes to show the extent of judgemental-ism? prevalent amongst year 12 students

champ_sammy_19

~~~* Munchkin*~~~
HSC
alyceharrington said:
Hey.. My special provisions got accepted and there are about 6 girls in my grade that have special provisions. I get to have a five minute rest break every half an hour. I have only applied for them this year due to been medically sick. Not alot of girls apply for them at my school but i think the girls that do apply normally get them because we get reports from all teachers and i got a doctor to write a letter and the head of my school. So everyone at my schools pretty much gets involved with trying to help out the students which is a good thing.

And by the way, dont brag out people for getting special provisions, you dont know there story you dont know what has happened to them, you think you might know but guess what you most prob dont! so dont call us lazy, grow up your in year 12 remember. And if you guys that dont have special provisions and you are bagging us out.. remember your the lucky ones, something has happened to us that can affect our hsc, not you this is why we are granted these special provisions! So instead of being rude and paying us out take a second and think and wonder why we might have special provisions, because i know im not proud of having them but during the year ive had alot of family and medical things go wrong with me.. SO think before you speak! dont be so rude!
you go girlfriend!!!!!!!!!!!!:)

PF

HSC
michaeln36 said:
except that people who get special provisions actually end up BENIFITING from their laziness (of not learning how to write etc.. basic skillz). He got through the first 12 years of school, and now in the final year, where he gets extra time (or gets to type) he decides to pull out this goddam stunt... DISADVANTAGING EVERY ONE OF YOU ON THIS FORUM. EVERY RANK HE GOES UP DUE TO HIS EXTRA TIME IS ONE RANK YOU GO DOWN.
With extra time, duh he can write more, and with typing --- thats a goddam lot faster than writing.
SO, if u like being cheated, like being beaten by someone who had an extra 20 mins to do the exam than u, then support his guy (who the BOS didn't even think deserved special provisions -- and they are VERY LENIENT). But if u like tests to be fair, if u think that everyone should get 2 hours, that everyone should write out their answers .. then tell this idiot to shutup, accept the BOSs decision, AND STUDY LIKE THE REST OF US, rather than trying to cheat us.
abt the special provisions thing - if u cant write fast enuf, ur at a disadvantage to the rest who can write fast, so u get a computer to type

doesnt that put all the people who can write fast, at a disadvantage even though writing faster is meant to be an advantage? *IRONY*

i say we all be given the option of using computers! yay - u can choose which one u like depending on if u write faster than type or type faster than u write

Mc_Meaney

Banned
HSC
You dont get a comp coz ur slow, u get one because you are medically at a disadvantage. AND BESIDES you may not even end up with a comp, can result in a writer.

I got one in yr10, and im hoping i get one this year, other wise my tests will be half finished.

OH and for those wanting to bitch about me etc - my condition is Charcot Marie Tooth (Perenial Muscular Atrophy) google search it

Yip

HSC
i was just wondering, i fractured my wrist today, and was told by my doctor that it would take 5-6 weeks to heal, which cuts right into the hsc exam. i was thinking of applying for special provisions, but apparently the cutoff was a few months ago. is anyone in, or has been in, a similar situation? what should i do? i reaaly want to sit the exams instead applying for illness/misadventure and skipping the exams....thanks for any replies

Sparcod

Hello!
HSC
Do the exams then apply for misadventure but first tell your principal and supervisor.
IF YOU CAN TYPE, WHY CAN'T YOU WRITE?

michaeln36

HSC
Yip

i'd guess ur case falls under a different thing to special provisions, since its a new thing that has only just happened -- get advice from ur year advisor/deputy prinicpal etc. on what do to

oh and i have a question about special provisions.
say ur smart, and get top 5 in all ur subjects. U get in a horrible car crash and get brain damage. Can you apply for special provisions or illness misadadventure stuff? or because ur damage is permanent it means that this is the 'new person' you are-- and thus u have to accept that u'll do worse in ur hsc than ur internal marks..
if the latter is true, then u'll be screwing over other people in ur school, since u rank high then get bad hsc marks --> other peoples marks get dragged down,

Last edited:

Tim035

HSC
If you can't handwrite properly .... then maybe you really shouldn't be going to Uni.

I'm preety annoyed when people like a guy my school who are far above average intelligence get daddy to reach into his wallet and have an OT and psychologist and GP sign documents saying they cant handwrite when dam well they can.

I don't know the numbers of people who claim these disabillities for each HSC, but for handwriting I think maybe a personal interview and test are neccessary to sort the bull$&*t from the actual legit cases.

dagwoman

Welcome to My Lair
HSC
N/A
Tim035 said:
I don't know the numbers of people who claim these disabillities for each HSC, but for handwriting I think maybe a personal interview and test are neccessary to sort the bull$&*t from the actual legit cases.
I DEFINITELY agree with you on that. It's not fair that the people who bothered to do those stupid handwriting workbooks in year 5 are disadvantaged because some people (not all, as I know there are legitimate reasons people have special provisions) exploit the system and get to type.

alrani

HSC
Wow...

I'm totally shocked that so many people have reacted so badly to the OP's comments about special provisions...

I was granted special provisions at my school, I use a computer for most of my exams except for Maths, where I get 5 min rest breaks.

Any time I tell people I have special provisions I get blasted about how "unfair" it is etc. etc. until I tell them I have a genetic problem where all of my joints are hypermobile, and I damaged my right wrist in a sports injury a few years ago which completely aggravated the problem, which means I can't write with a pen for more than about 20 minutes before things get incredibly painful.

I've had special provisions since yr 10.

People don't understand just how damaging some problems can be. It's not just the fact that I can't write during my exams, I can't write during school, I can't take notes, I can't do study properly unless I have a computer. It's incredibly disruptive and puts me at a complete disadvantage. Being granted special provisions has been a life saver for me. It puts me at a "level playing field" to the rest of the people in my year, and people just don't understand this.

It's actually really, really sad to see how the competition of the HSC is affecting everyone to the point where people with legitimate physical and learning disabilities are seen as "cheats" and at an advantage to everyone else.

I sympathise with the OP. No one knows the full extent of his problem unless they've actually seen his work, so don't be so quick to judge. One of the other people in my year with special provisions (there's about 7 or 8 of us) has the most shocking handwriting I have ever seen. He writes like a 4 yr old, 2-3 lines per letter. It's not that he's too lazy to learn how to write properly - he has a learning disability.

Everyone needs to calm down, it's just the competition associated with the HSC that's making people feel jealous & angry. I realise that there are people who do try and abuse the system, but generally the majority of people who apply for special provisions have legitimate reasons, and the people who have been granted special provisions have been selected because they have provided huge amounts of paperwork and medical certificates etc that back up their claims.

People need to learn to be more open-minded and accepting.

michaeln36

HSC
alrani -- its not people like u with real disablilties that we are blasting -- it is the people like MichaelRoberts who have done fine all their lives at school - then when they get the opportunity to 'cheat' and get extra time - even though they have no real problem, except possibly not writing as fast as other people. The BOS REFUSED his application for special provisions, and he is still trying to get them. That is why i am against him -- since the BOS is extremely lenient when it comes to these things (i could go and get them if i wanted) - especially if u know the right doctors/etc to go to to sign ur thingys. (just slip them a 50 on the way out).

IF you are a legit special provisions -- i agree with u - and u deserve it.
BUT unfortuantely -- there are far tooo many non legits - giving the rest of u a bad name.

Bexta12

HSC
WOW...i cant believe so many people got rejected...
I got all that i applied for and more i didnt even know about
I ended up with
- Computer
- Writer
-Rest breaks
- extra time

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)