Special Studies Programs (1 Viewer)

zeek

HSC
Does anyone have anyone here take part in these, in particular the chemistry/physics/maths ones? Are they good? What are they like?

TIA

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
You mean the TSP program for physics.

I did both maths and chem ssp. The maths ssp in first year was alright, just a few additional seminars, three assignments and you'll get that bonus mark without too much effort. Chem had special labs and those were much more fun than getting stuck with normal/adv labs.

In the end, if you don't get into maths, no big deal. Try to make the chem one though, as they make life much better.

zeek

HSC
Can i still make the chem one if i jst miss out on the marks?

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
Depends on how much you miss out on the marks. They will look at other results too (eg comps and olympiads), and you can always talk to the coordinate and tell him you really want to do it but might not have the marks.

And you can always get in in semester two.

haque

HSC
What are the threshold marks for physics,chem maths at usyd and the minimum level of achievement from the olympiads?

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
You should be able to ask the coordinator when you're enrolled and just before semester begins. Email for a meeting.

As for the requirements, check the USyd website. From memory, maths SSP: 95 in Ext 2, UAI>98.7; chem SSP: 90 in chem, UAI>98.7; physics TSP: as per TSP (UAI>99 and band 6 in one of the science, with 95 in Ext 2). Olympiad involvement is at their discretion.

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
Templar said:
You should be able to ask the coordinator when you're enrolled and just before semester begins. Email for a meeting.

As for the requirements, check the USyd website. From memory, maths SSP: 95 in Ext 2, UAI>98.7; chem SSP: 90 in chem, UAI>98.7; physics TSP: as per TSP (UAI>99 and band 6 in one of the science, with 95 in Ext 2). Olympiad involvement is at their discretion.
Great...I'm so pissed off, I did a lot worse than expected. I got 94 in Ext 2 Maths, 89s and 88s in sciences and UAI of 98.35.....grrrrrrrrrr sooooo close....:(
What are chances of entering these special programs in first year with those results?:(
Or am I doomed to working my butt off in getting a distinction average in first year in order to take it in second year? :(:(

KeypadSDM

B4nn3d
HSC
Templar said:

And they'll usually be pretty lenient with the maths one. If, for example, you happen to be a person who topped 3 unit and missed out on the 4u mark of 95 by say, 1 or 2 marks, they'll probably let you in.

davidkedz

HSC
I spoke with a Maths representative at the USyd open day, and he said that with a 95 for 4 Unit I should have no trouble getting into the Maths SSP. So, judging by his lax attitude, I reckon that number's no hard and fast limit. Take into account though that they claim the SSP will comprise "of about 25 top mathematics students". I suppose once again it is a matter of supply.

Oh, and judging by what I'm reading in the Maths booklet, apparently the TSP program is not just a substitute SSP for Physics, as you can (apparently) take part in both the Maths SSP and also have the TSP work with Maths too. However, I find no indication of any sole Physics SSP. Pity.
Somewhat confusing system...

Anyway. Cheers.

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
Maths TSP programs are rare...especially proper research ones, since there is a shortage of supervisors.

black_raven777

HSC
Hey, how strict are they on the maths requirement - i didn't do 4 unit, but got 95 in 2 unit and 94 in 3. I don't mind missing out on the maths TSP, could I still get into the Physics and Chem TSP programs?

coulda

HSC
Templar is right...i did the chem SSP one last year and the labs were so much more fun than normal/adv labs - you do chem SSP for their lab work!! i think they accepted about 40 people at the start of the year but some people dropped for 2nd semester..if i didn't remember wrongly, i think after they accepted people for SSP, they even told us to tell our friends if they wanted to join 'cause they still had a few spaces left..and i THINK they dropped the entry marks to UAI >98.5 and HSC mark >85 in order to fill up those few spaces.

To get into SSP 2nd year, you have to get a Distinction average in your two semester's worth of chemistry (adv or ssp). However, they do the selection process all over again and obviously they accept people from the top.

Math SSP - its not THAT amazing..unless you are REALLY interested in maths problem-solving etc 'cause they give you extra assignments etc which can be a huge pain when you have other (fundamental) assignments and quizzes to take care of. Small class.

Physics SSP - there's this Physics TSP thingy in 2nd semester which is just like another TSP (Talented Students Program) presentation..plus a camp in 2nd semester!

anyways, chem SSP is well worth it!

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
imho, math ssp is definitely worth doing... you get to learn some really funky applied/pure maths stuff... just awesome...

oh, and DON'T do ssp in chem for 2nd and 3rd year.... it became boring... all you get are just lecturers talk about different stuff and getting an assignment for you to do...

Nodice

HSC
This may sound like a silly question, but how do you find out that you are into the SSP for chem? Do they send you out a letter, as they did for the TSP? For instance, for enrolment they ask you to put down the units of study you want to do but the SSP is invite only so do you just put it down or what?

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
Nodice said:
This may sound like a silly question, but how do you find out that you are into the SSP for chem? Do they send you out a letter, as they did for the TSP? For instance, for enrolment they ask you to put down the units of study you want to do but the SSP is invite only so do you just put it down or what?
you attend an info session i think... then you express your interest... then they post out a list of students who are selected in...

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
Does Physics SSP exist anymore? I checked through the Science handbook and it wasn't there. It wasn't even mentioned in the Physics lecture on Information Day.

zeek

HSC
you attend an info session i think... then you express your interest... then they post out a list of students who are selected in...
When does this info session occur? :confused:

Does Physics SSP exist anymore? I checked through the Science handbook and it wasn't there. It wasn't even mentioned in the Physics lecture on Information Day.
I spoke to the guy giving the presentation and he said that there was only a TSP for Physics students now

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)