Special Studies Programs (1 Viewer)

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
correct me if i am wrong... i think there was never a physics ssp... but there are phsycis tsp ...

the info session occurs somewhere in first week of uni (ie in early march)... but i could be wrong... i THINK honour coordinator is a/prof scott kable.... bump into him in campus /give him a ring / buzz him an email to find out

http://www.chem.usyd.edu.au/about/staff_kable.html

beware though, as usually it's a policy that they do not accept mail from external email addresses... so better just give him a ring or something...

Nodice

HSC
Yeah, I rang them up just to double check with enrolment and stuff, and the gist of it was that for the enrolment day you can only put down CHEM1901/1902, not 1903/1904 straight off (in case anyone was wondering) and that during the first/second week or so they will say stuff about it and post up a list after that, so if you think you want to be in, be vigilant during that first week or so.

casebash

HSC
Yes. For SSP you change your enrollment later. About the level of olympiad required, it is hard to know. Most people who went to a camp can get a sufficently high mark in that subject to be allowed in. I can say that making a team seems to have easily been sufficent to get in for programming. I suspect that a camp could be sufficent as well.

You can either get entry into the TSP program, or if you ask the specific school you may get access to certain activities.

coulda

HSC
hey 1st years...just so u don't get freaked out with the chem ssp stuff..

basically, in the first adv chem lecture which im guessing is 9am on the Monday 5th March (first day of uni!!!), they will tell u that there will be a special info session at 1pm (presuming its the same as mine last year) for people interested in chem and wanting to apply for ssp...
(for me, being a science/law student, my law lecture clashed with this chem lecture 9am Mondays but after ur law lecture, zoom to the chem building to find the adv chem lecturer to ask about this info session..in fact, im not sure if u first-year law students get lectures anymore...
however, if ur in TSP...the TSP coordinator who is Tony Masters head of chemistry will inform u of this info session sometime during o-week anyway)

so u turn up at that info session and apply via a form on which u write ur uai, hsc chem mark and any chem olympiads u've participated in

after that a form will be put up on the chem noticeboards for ppl who are in

and yes, u enrol in adv chem first..but they (chem lecturers/admin ppl) will change ur units of study to the SSP chem for u so dont stress!!!

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
I've decided CHEM2915 isn't worth it any more. It creates an additional clash and is utterly pointless without your friends being there with you.

nit

HSC
lol it probably wasn't worth it to begin with...actually quantum stuff was ok but repetitive and tedious. Easy marks though.

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
Quizes are even easier marks.

It's just that I never did chem ssp for the marks, it was always about the people, and seeing I'll be with people a year below me rubs out most of the fun. Plus it further screws up an already hectic timetable, and that I have to ask for an invitation because now I'm third year, and I just can't be bothered any more.

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
lol quite the opposite for me templar... all my friends were in chem, but none (well 1 or 2) in maths

@ nit: how's things?! :)

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
I had friends in both maths and chem ssp. It's more to do with the fact that I'll be doing intermediate and senior chem concurrently this semester (to make up for lack of prerequisites) and as a result I'll be with people a year younger than me in intermediate, and I don't know many of them.

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
awww... so what's with last year?! too much maths and stat?!

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
xiao1985 said:
awww... so what's with last year?! too much maths and stat?!
More like too much maths and not enough stats.

I just didn’t like the biochem and pharmacology I did in semester 1 last year, that’s all, so I talked to the chem people about doing a major without intermediate. They permitted it provided I catch up this year.

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
Templar said:
More like too much maths and not enough stats.

I just didn’t like the biochem and pharmacology I did in semester 1 last year, that’s all, so I talked to the chem people about doing a major without intermediate. They permitted it provided I catch up this year.
good luck with that then...

did 2nd year 1st sem stat, dropped in 2nd sem...
in hindersight, should have done it in 2nd sem too... will help me much in commerce side...

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
xiao1985 said:
in hindersight, should have done it [stat] too...
Ditto.

Had a chat with Eugene Senata at NMSS, sounds like stats matter a lot in finance. Plus it gets more interesting as you go on...stochastic matrices sound interesting.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)