• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Speed camera on the federal highway??? (1 Viewer)

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
I was driving back from Sydney to Canberra tonight and was going along part of the federal highway (eg after turning off the hume) and just after I passed something on my left there was an enormous flash of light from about 2m up on the left hand side of the road. It flashed again at a car behind me.

My first thinking was, fuck that was a speed camera - however I had a look at the RTA site and there does not appear to be any fixed camera on the federal highway, so does anyone have any ideas wtf it was?

7th Sign

HSC
rta website is out of date like hell.....speed cameras pop up every where....maby you will be lucky and not get a fine...I have also been in the same situation where I saw a flash and thought I was gone but I never got a fine lol, well this happened like 5 days before I sold my car so maby the new owner got a fine lol but I dont think so because the chic who purchased my old car has my number and I havnt got a angry call yet.......

BeastHouse

HSC
Could have been a police camera car or a safety cam. All NSW fixed Speed cameras have to have signs either side. No signs, no fixed speed camera.

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
I didnt think that the NSW police used camera cars (I know they do in the ACT), that is a van with essentially a fixed camera inside.

A safety camera?

Didn't see any signs on the approach to the 'flash' zone.

If it was a speed camera of some sort then I would've been done well over the limit.....

Dellaware

HSC
Shouldn't have been speeding mister small penis man.

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
Thanks for the info Dave, first I've heard of such units in NSW.

Given this info I think I got pinged pretty badly.

So the next question is can an offence in NSW take points off an ACT licence and how should I break the news to my mother in whoms name the car is registered?

DaddyK

Is out drifting
Behind the wheel Car: XB coupe - sideways
HSC
loquasagacious said:
Thanks for the info Dave, first I've heard of such units in NSW.

Given this info I think I got pinged pretty badly.

So the next question is can an offence in NSW take points off an ACT licence and how should I break the news to my mother in whoms name the car is registered?
Yeh same, i've never seen it done before. I hope its not a two way operating camera because i did 130 past it going one way and then 90 coming back.

jase_

Moderator Jase
HSC
Err if you were driving at 130 on I'm guessing an 80km/h speed zone then you deserve the fine. That's the way life is, sorry.

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
Dave if that was in an 80 zone I feel for you. Generally speed cameras arnt multi-lane let alone bi-directional though which might make you feel better.

Jasee it would pay to read the thread, I was on the federal highway. The normal limit is 110km/h. Because of roadworks this was reduced to 90km/h. The camera (if it was one) was hidden directly behind the sign for this reduction.

So I was doing at least 30km/h+ over the limit as I wasn't particularly paying attention. I may have been 50km/h over but I think its unlikely as I normally pay more attention when I'm going that fast and I think my speedo is abit off.

Serius you could at least read the RTA site, you are correct if I was pulled over doing 45km/h+ over the limit it would've been an on the spot six month suspension. And would've probably made the paper eg "insane P-plateer driving orange volvo is done doing more than 45km/h over the limit". However by a camera it is a $1550 fine and 6 points.

As far as deserving of a fine, yes legally speaking I am deserving of a fine. Morally speaking though I do not believe so, I see no problem with cruising along at 120 or even 140 and thus no reason to be fined.

Generator

HSC
N/A
loquasagacious said:
Jasee it would pay to read the thread, I was on the federal highway. The normal limit is 110km/h. Because of roadworks this was reduced to 90km/h. The camera (if it was one) was hidden directly behind the sign for this reduction.

Jasee was clearly referring to DaddyK's post, addymac.

That aside, I for one hope that you soon lose your licence :).

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
but arent u on your red P's? 6 point loss = byebye license

i can understand where you are coming from, we all speed... what is odd is you dont see anything wrong with it

when i do 120, iam in a rush, iam on extra alert and i know i am doing the wrong thing, and i dont speed for long cause i end up feeling bad about it like risking others and stuff.... you dont seem to think there is anything wrong with excessive speeds,

either way you could be in trouble

jase_

Moderator Jase
HSC
Sorry, as Generator said, I was referring to DaddyK's post. Same concept applies to you though :p

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
I'm on ACT P's (and have done the P-off course). Which means I have 8 points. So if its six I keep my licence. And try and drive like a neutered cat till june.

Because I can upgrade to gold on the 19th of July which means I would go to having 6 points (assuming a six point loss) and have that for three years (?) before they get topped up again.

Serious, I just don't regard 120 as excessive (for a highway, obviously different places it could be). On a highway I would say 140+ is getting excessive.

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
As an update a ticket finally came through: 114km/h in a 90....

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
Correction it took two months to get through to my mum. She filled in the stat dec and sent that off and yesterday I recieved the fine, so almost three months total.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)