Speed Cameras (1 Viewer)

Sarebs

HSC
Oh I have had enough of speed cameras. They make me a worse driver! I get nervous, I spent too much time with my eyes on the speedo, sometimes to be sure I go 5km/h under the speed limit. That holds up traffic argh! For example, in the cross-city tunnel (I think that's what it's called), I knew there were cameras in there, but I didn't know where! So instead of keeping my eyes on the road, I was frantically checking my speedo every two seconds. And down that massive hill it was hard to keep to 80 sometimes.

And it's all just revenue raising. Rather than some rubbish fine that would just be waisted by state govt anyway, I'd rather spend a day at a driving school.

Okay, /rant, has anyone been nabbed by a speed camera? How much did it cost? And the signs say "Heavy fines and loss of license". So can they take points off you too?

emiliieee

Batman.
HSC
apparently these are all the new ones for NSW. i had this sent to me.
but i guess its just pretty much common sense

TAKE CARE WHEN DRIVING OVER THIS XMAS BREAK.

FYI, Red light cameras are now speed cameras as well!

FYI regarding 50 Red Light Camera's in Sydney that are also now
converted to Speed Camera's over 60 km as of TODAY 21/12/2009!

A list is below.

Initial 50 Safety Camera Locations

CUMBERLAND HWY
ST JOHNS RD
CANLEY HEIGHTS

GREAT WESTERN HWY
RESERVOIR RD
BLACKTOWN

SHOWGROUND RD
VICTORIA AV
CASTLE HILL

PENNANT HILLS RD
BEECROFT RD
PENNANT HILLS

BOTANY RD
MCEVOY ST
ALEXANDRIA

MOORE-OXLEY BYPASS
BROUGHTON ST
CAMPBELLTOWN

CLEVELAND ST
SOUTH DOWLING ST
REDFERN

BOTANY RD
BOURKE RD
ALEXANDRIA

CHURCH ST
VICTORIA RD
PARRAMATTA

CUMBERLAND HWY
CABRAMATTA RD WEST
CABRAMATTA WEST

NEW NARELLAN RD
KELLICAR RD
CAMPBELLTOWN

SILVERWATER RD
M4 W/B ON RAMP
SILVERWATER

SILVERWATER RD
M4 E/B ON RAMP
SILVERWATER

CANTERBURY RD
KING GEORGES RD
LAKEMBA

GEORGE ST
LIVERPOOL ST
SYDNEY

GREAT WESTERN HWY
HAWKESBURY RD
MAYS HILL

SOUTH DOWLING ST
FITZROY ST
SURRY HILLS

GREAT WESTERN HWY
CHARLES HACKETT DR
ST MARYS

WALDRON RD
HECTOR ST
CHESTER HILL

THE KINGSWAY
PORT HACKING RD
MIRANDA

HUME HWY
WOODVILLE RD
LANSDOWNE

PARRAMATTA RD
BURWOOD RD
BURWOOD

PRINCES HWY
BAY ST
ROCKDALE

BROADWAY
CITY RD
ULTIMO

OXFORD ST
LIVERPOOL ST
SYDNEY

PITT ST
EDDY AV
SYDNEY

CRAIGEND ST
MCLACHLAN AV
RUSHCUTTERS BAY

ANZAC PDE
FLINDERS ST
MOORE PARK

ROBERTS RD
NORFOLK RD
GREENACRE

PARRAMATTA RD
WOODVILLE RD
GRANVILLE

WINDSOR RD
SEVEN HILLS RD
BAULKHAM HILLS

COPELAND ST
ELIZABETH DR
LIVERPOOL

HENRY LAWSON DR
MILPERRA RD
MILPERRA

OXFORD ST
MOORE PARK RD
PADDINGTON

VICTORIA RD
WELLINGTON ST
ROZELLE

OLYMPIC DR
VAUGHAN ST
LIDCOMBE

CENTENARY DR
ARTHUR ST
HOMEBUSH WEST

HUME HWY
MEREDITH ST
BANKSTOWN

PARRAMATTA RD
FLOOD ST
LEICHHARDT

NEW CANTERBURY RD
LIVINGSTONE RD
PETERSHAM

GARDENERS RD
O'RIORDAN ST
MASCOT

BUNGARRIBEE RD
RESERVOIR RD
BLACKTOWN

THE KINGSWAY
GANNONS RD
CARINGBAH

VICTORIA RD
EVANS ST
ROZELLE

GREAT WESTERN HWY
STATION ST
WENTWORTHVILLE

PENNANT HILLS RD
COPELAND RD
WEST PENNANT

HAMILTON RD
THE BOULEVARDE
FAIRFIELD HEIGHTS

CANTERBURY RD
BEXLEY RD
CAMPSIE

KING GEORGES RD
MOOREFIELDS RD
ROSELANDS

NEWTON RD
FLUSHCOMBE RD
BLACKTOWN

astroe

HSC
Oh crap, so if you're gunning it to go through yellow, you might get a speeding ticket? WTF.

Us P-platers have our licences suspended if we get one speeding ticket. >.<
Although, I've never been caught for anything so far.

That reminds me, in school zones with cameras, I end up spending more time staring at the speedo than looking at what's ahead of me. Almost hit someone. LOL.

emiliieee

Batman.
HSC
Oh crap, so if you're gunning it to go through yellow, you might get a speeding ticket? WTF.

Us P-platers have our licences suspended if we get one speeding ticket. >.<
Although, I've never been caught for anything so far.

That reminds me, in school zones with cameras, I end up spending more time staring at the speedo than looking at what's ahead of me. Almost hit someone. LOL.
haha yeah me too.

pritnep

Boredof?
HSC
Oh I have had enough of speed cameras. They make me a worse driver! I get nervous, I spent too much time with my eyes on the speedo, sometimes to be sure I go 5km/h under the speed limit. That holds up traffic argh! For example, in the cross-city tunnel (I think that's what it's called), I knew there were cameras in there, but I didn't know where! So instead of keeping my eyes on the road, I was frantically checking my speedo every two seconds. And down that massive hill it was hard to keep to 80 sometimes.

And it's all just revenue raising. Rather than some rubbish fine that would just be waisted by state govt anyway, I'd rather spend a day at a driving school.

Okay, /rant, has anyone been nabbed by a speed camera? How much did it cost? And the signs say "Heavy fines and loss of license". So can they take points off you too?
Driving as you should have and will learn is about multitasking that is, mirror checking, scanning the horizon, speed checking, blind spot checking, distance and speed etc.

It's always interesting to note most people that use the "revenue raising" debate are usually those that are more likely to speed or at least not be cautious of there speed. They do serve a purpose and as annoying they can be they are often affective enough (though limited in the distanced covered).

Eventually you should get a feel for your car and know about what speed you are doing and how to maintain that without having to constantly be looking at your speed and worrying if you are going over. It just takes time and practice.

To answer your other questions, yes you do get a fine and lose points.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Driving as you should have and will learn is about multitasking that is, mirror checking, scanning the horizon, speed checking, blind spot checking, distance and speed etc.

It's always interesting to note most people that use the "revenue raising" debate are usually those that are more likely to speed or at least not be cautious of there speed. They do serve a purpose and as annoying they can be they are often affective enough (though limited in the distanced covered).

Eventually you should get a feel for your car and know about what speed you are doing and how to maintain that without having to constantly be looking at your speed and worrying if you are going over. It just takes time and practice.

To answer your other questions, yes you do get a fine and lose points.
In all fairness the people posting in this thread are new drivers, and even I still check my speedo when I'm in an area such as a tunnel where there are speed cameras about. I agree with the OP that it is a bit trivial that by forcing people to monitor their speedo, they may decrease speeds but increase driver distraction, but just like you said, in the longer term people will learn to be more effective at maintaining concentration and knowing the vehicle speed without constantly looking.

As for the revenue raising debate... it depends on where they are installed and whether the area really is a danger to peoples' lives and how effective or realistic the speed limits are. My girlfriend and I were discussing whether or not hand held speed cameras (which are apparently coming back into use with the NSW Police) were effective and I said no. IMO they are a revenue raiser in the sense they act more as a punishment/penalty hoping to stop people from reoffending (but it may be too late) as opposed to a fixed speed camera with warnings so that people are forced to take certain areas at a specified speed limit (such as a corner with high pedestrian activity or a school zone) thus reducing the risk of the accident.

Back on topic though, I think more people are actually annoyed at the speed limit which is set rather than the use of speed cameras itself. For me, the one thing which really annoys me is school zones from 2:30pm. I got nabbed doing 54km/h at 2:34pm (this was before the days of flashing signs and so on). My bigger issue was with why are school zones being enforced at such times rather than the actual speed camera.

My 2c / rant / etc.

Sarebs

HSC
I should prob add that I'm only a red p-plater, who has just moved to the city from the country. I'd never driven in more than two lanes of traffic before I moved here, so multitasking is something I haven't yet mastered down here. And yep, I believe it's just revenue raising, to really fix the problem why don't they put speeders through some course?

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I should prob add that I'm only a red p-plater, who has just moved to the city from the country. I'd never driven in more than two lanes of traffic before I moved here, so multitasking is something I haven't yet mastered down here. And yep, I believe it's just revenue raising, to really fix the problem why don't they put speeders through some course?
Costs money rather than raises it. And that being said, why should taxpayers have to foot the bill for people who can't control themselves in areas which are known to be of higher risk/danger?

ClockworkSoldier

Clockwork Army
HSC
Now that's a revenue raiser. Doesn't prevent the problem, but profits out of it.
Well, I disagree.

Everyone (bar the occasional idiot) does the speed limit or under for fear of being caught by an unseen camera.

It works better because people don't just slow down for the camera and speed up again.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Well, I disagree.

Everyone (bar the occasional idiot) does the speed limit or under for fear of being caught by an unseen camera.

It works better because people don't just slow down for the camera and speed up again.
I wonder do people actually drive safer as a result in Melbourne though? Presumably everyone knows (who is local) where the fixed cameras are?

ClockworkSoldier

Clockwork Army
HSC
I wonder do people actually drive safer as a result in Melbourne though? Presumably everyone knows (who is local) where the fixed cameras are?
There are also unmarked camera cars and hidden hand-held cameras, so you don't actually know where a camera is all of the time.

chuboy

HSC
Well, I disagree.

True, but if you consider a speed camera in a place where there is actually a dangerous bend etc, making vehicles slow down, even if they speed up again 'straight away', is better than them approaching a curve at a dangerous speed.

Although I live in a part of NSW where the roads are actually like that - I'm sure there are plenty of speed cameras that are placed in the middle of 6km long flat stretch of highway -_-

pritnep

Boredof?
HSC
In all fairness the people posting in this thread are new drivers, and even I still check my speedo when I'm in an area such as a tunnel where there are speed cameras about. I agree with the OP that it is a bit trivial that by forcing people to monitor their speedo, they may decrease speeds but increase driver distraction, but just like you said, in the longer term people will learn to be more effective at maintaining concentration and knowing the vehicle speed without constantly looking.
A fair point and I have to say I agree with your conclusion. As drivers you have to be aware of yourself and surrounding monitoring the road and driving to the conditions or in this case the posted speed limit is all part of that.

As for the revenue raising debate... it depends on where they are installed and whether the area really is a danger to peoples' lives and how effective or realistic the speed limits are. My girlfriend and I were discussing whether or not hand held speed cameras (which are apparently coming back into use with the NSW Police) were effective and I said no. IMO they are a revenue raiser in the sense they act more as a punishment/penalty hoping to stop people from reoffending (but it may be too late) as opposed to a fixed speed camera with warnings so that people are forced to take certain areas at a specified speed limit (such as a corner with high pedestrian activity or a school zone) thus reducing the risk of the accident.
I think with hand held speed cameras it is more of a case of "you won't know when" so drive legally and you will be safe.

Back on topic though, I think more people are actually annoyed at the speed limit which is set rather than the use of speed cameras itself. For me, the one thing which really annoys me is school zones from 2:30pm. I got nabbed doing 54km/h at 2:34pm (this was before the days of flashing signs and so on). My bigger issue was with why are school zones being enforced at such times rather than the actual speed camera.

My 2c / rant / etc.
I've always wondered about how much leeway you have with school zones, given that everyones car clock will be set at a different time. I mean it's easy to tell with schools that have flashing lights...but those without. Either way I just do 40km/h (well actually a bit less) around that time anyway.

I guess with experience it's something you will pick up but it's a very important skill to develop. It's all done in an effort to FORCE people to slow down, now of course they alone can't force people to literally slow down but they do give a huge incentive i.e. slow done or face a fine.

Nothing will stop people speeding but the least the government can do is try and govern it.

Costs money rather than raises it. And that being said, why should taxpayers have to foot the bill for people who can't control themselves in areas which are known to be of higher risk/danger?
Exactly.

Sarebs

HSC
I wouldn't mind paying taxes to pay for a good proper course to help stop bad driving and speeding. I'm sick of money, tax payer money, going to that stupid "pinky finger" campaign. It doesn't work. It was being advertised at the SCG. I mean the SCG for Christ's sake. That's got to be expensive. And the whole way around the ground. The young men it was aimed at were too pissed to notice or care. I'd rather have those speeding or stupid drivers go through like a rehabilitation course. Like criminals go through (maybe they don't go through them in Aus but I've heard of it). Because if we fix these people in the head, instead making them fork out a bunch of money, and perhaps take away their licenses, which if they're dickheads won't stop them, it might save lives.

Those variable speed limit cameras, I don't mind. Because they're in school zones, and little kids are silly. Like that one on President Ave near Miranda.

EDIT: And the "RTA Speedblitz Blues" (the name of NSW's cricket team). That's also got to be expensive, and most people don't even notice it!

Last edited:

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I wouldn't mind paying taxes to pay for a good proper course to help stop bad driving and speeding. I'm sick of money, tax payer money, going to that stupid "pinky finger" campaign. It doesn't work. It was being advertised at the SCG. I mean the SCG for Christ's sake. That's got to be expensive. And the whole way around the ground. The young men it was aimed at were too pissed to notice or care. I'd rather have those speeding or stupid drivers go through like a rehabilitation course. Like criminals go through (maybe they don't go through them in Aus but I've heard of it). Because if we fix these people in the head, instead making them fork out a bunch of money, and perhaps take away their licenses, which if they're dickheads won't stop them, it might save lives.

Those variable speed limit cameras, I don't mind. Because they're in school zones, and little kids are silly. Like that one on President Ave near Miranda.

EDIT: And the "RTA Speedblitz Blues" (the name of NSW's cricket team). That's also got to be expensive, and most people don't even notice it!
In hindsight the pinky finger campaign was relatively successful at getting people talking about it. Sure it seemed stupid and unrelated but everyone I know has at least seen or heard of the campaign and can relate to it in some way (i.e. everyone knows at least one person who drives beyond their ability in a dangerous or wreckless manner usually involving speeding). In terms of getting people to slow down, I have seen some girls pull the pinky gesture when sitting in the back seat of a car, and even though it appears to be a joking reference to the campaign, it is effective at slowing the driver down... even if only a little bit.

As for taxpayer funded initiatives. I don't think an educational campaign for offending drivers is the way to go. Simple and effective education in school curriculum like how long it takes to brake as speed increases, or how much force is sent through your car depending on speed of impact, etc... that is what gets the message across especially with those very graphic videos and photos. But then maybe I am also too cheap and annoyed that my tax dollars always seem to be going to waste.

I also went to HART and thought that was an interesting but not that useful experience.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)