Speed Limiters at 120??! (1 Viewer)

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I doubt it'll happen... but I wouldn't mind if they introduced compulsory speed noise thingies. I've seen it in some cars where when you exceed a certain speed, it starts ringing a bell... sure it's not much, but I think it might be enough to piss someone off to stop them from speeding at 140... although on the other hand, someone who's going at 140 probably wouldn't care that there's a bell ringing and would rather focus on the road ahead.

*shrugs*

I think it was talking about new cars btw- not necessarily old cars.

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
Anyone familiar with how easily tampered with the truck ones are?

I can only presume these would be the same - a joke.

CieL

HSC
Urgh those speed sound things annoy me..

Last time my mum's friend was driving her 7 series, evertime she hit 60 and over it made a little noise.. besides the fact that she's a awfully slow driver, she just kept touching 60 and going slower, then touching 60 all the time!!

Just went DING *few secs* DING* few secs.. I was almost going to pull my hair out..

Jiga

Last time my mum's friend was driving her 7 series, evertime she hit 60 and over it made a little noise.. besides the fact that she's a awfully slow driver, she just kept touching 60 and going slower, then touching 60 all the time!!

Just went DING *few secs* DING* few secs.. I was almost going to pull my hair out.
Yeah I remember a friend Ive mine had issues with one of those...... that wont be the solution to this problem n e way. As has been mentioned previously, although I hope they dont..... harsher penalties would be the bandade solution for road fatalaties, it really wont reduce crashes that much because not that many involve speeding but it will look like authorities are doing their bit

CieL

HSC
And then there are those who think they're god and would
1. never be caught
2. can lie their way through
and happily keep speeding because they've weighed up the pros and cons of the situation and think it's perfectly fine to break certain road rules at certain times

7th Sign

HSC
lol most cars already have speed limiters at 160...

i think 120 is pretty stupid...most high ways in the country are 110 you need to over take some one doing 100ish u need to push it will past 120

150 is decent maby speed limiters on their...

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
seremify007 said:
I thought people can still kill people with their bare hands? ... rather barbaric though.
Then we should also cut people's hands off.

CieL

HSC
7th Sign said:
lol most cars already have speed limiters at 160...

i think 120 is pretty stupid...most high ways in the country are 110 you need to over take some one doing 100ish u need to push it will past 120

150 is decent maby speed limiters on their...
Well if the limit is 110 there shouldnt be a need to overtake them if they're going around 5 under. Like DUH it's called a speed limit for a reason hence you shouldnt even be pushing it past 120 in any case if you're a law abiding citizen, which you don't seem to be so i'm wasting my breath.

And why would 150 be decent when you're legally only allowed to go up to 120 anyway?

I was following someone going 60 in a 100 zone.. now there's a reason to overtake them.. except it was double white lines, single laned road.. as mad as I was, I chose the safe option and I stuck on my side of the road for 20mins following that turd.

Jiga

This whole topic is alittle pointless though, I got the impression from the reports that it was just media sensationalism, stiring the pot...... speed limiting will never occur.... harsher penalties may

veterandoggy

A Restless Member
Somewhere yonder where the sun never rises
HSC
Ford FPVs have limiters at 180, but many mechanics can take it off, so i dont see how tamper proof a limiter can be, unless it is integrated into the ECU and computer chip with some unique code..... shit i hope no government people read our forum...

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
CieL said:

Just went DING *few secs* DING* few secs.. I was almost going to pull my hair out..
Ahaha... howcome it's set so low? The 645Ci had it set at 160km/h by default and it's kinda cute... when you hit the speed, the LCD screen which would have been showing the phone book or radio stations then a message pops up telling you that the speed limit has exceeded with a funky "chime" sound to it. From memory it had a full screen graphic but I didn't get any shots of it- I only have shots of the message that appears at the bottom which I think if you're driving at x km/h, you probably won't be able to read the stupid screen anyway.

Normal:

Speed Limit Exceeded:

veterandoggy said:
Ford FPVs have limiters at 180, but many mechanics can take it off, so i dont see how tamper proof a limiter can be, unless it is integrated into the ECU and computer chip with some unique code..... shit i hope no government people read our forum...
My uncle has been looking everywhere for someone to remove the speed limiter of the CL55. Noone seems to want to do it for us :(

ohdato

HSC
Wont happen anytime soon, Of course there are the factory units put on cars.
But what about my Datsun? If they want to pay for an ECU
controlable motor for it then by all means haha.

Maybe shortened diff ratios to make it physically not possible. haha.

veterandoggy

A Restless Member
HSC
ohdato said:
Wont happen anytime soon, Of course there are the factory units put on cars.
But what about my Datsun? If they want to pay for an ECU
controlable motor for it then by all means haha.

Maybe shortened diff ratios to make it physically not possible. haha.
they could make it a requirement on all shipped cars, and it would be enforced in about 30 years. how often do YOU see a 1970s model car?

but come to think of it, petrol would prolly be finished in 30 years...

the speed limiters require alot of electrical expertise, cos they have to remove the limiter and set the car back to like nothing happened. maybe that is why they dont want to do it, cos of the hassle and the type of car :rolleyes:

55psi

HSC
the cop who introduced this idea is a stupid dumb F^#k, because u can still speed in 50 zones, in 80 zones, etc. The speed limiter will only be effective on a highway. Highway crashes only cover about 1/5th of total car accidents.
Then theres other factors such as the weather (rain, fog), mentally retarded drivers who think their awesome at driving, and mechanical problems (thats all i can think of so far).
The thing that needs to be changed is to change drivers attitude. Its hard to achieve, but implementing programs that aim at drivers attitude will be a much better problem solver than putting 120km/hr speed limiters on cars. I mean, to change a bogans driving attitude, theyd need to experience the accident themselves coz theyre so retarded, but for some people who are more accepting to things, it could change their driving attitude to be safer on the road.

CieL

HSC
Programs that change drivers attitudes aye.. change it to what?

It's like the campaigns to urge people to quit smoking.. no-one ever quits 100%.. majority of people think it's a joke ("no, gary, NO!").. some try and fail.. it's all psychological.. and the people in rehab how they be nice, get out asap, and start all over again..

Changing drivers' attitudes is just a variation of all the other tests we have done to change people psychologically..

It's almost like losquag.. (however the hell you spell his name) and how people were fully telling him off for speeding.. trying to get him to look at the perspectives of people who viewed it as silly and dangerous, but he kept viewing it as enjoyment..

In this sense.. I have to say that 120 limit would be more effective than trying to change people's attitudes (some people are just plain stubborn and they seem to be the ones that really want to speed).. I've been to workshops which show you all these images of the aftermath of speeding.. the impact of stopping distance in relation to speed.. but guess what? I've driven over 120..

Maybe I'm just one of the turds on the roads.. maybe my attitude needs to be changed.. but how??

And besides, stopping that 1/5th of the total of car accidents eventually adds up to alot.. so the dude who intro'd the idea isnt that much of a dumb fuck..

It's like how I know smoking is bad, seen alot of the ads warnings and images, it'll give me lung throat tongue cancer, whatever.. but I enjoy it and I keep doing it.. same with speeding issues with other people..

veterandoggy

A Restless Member
HSC
i have the solution... some big GPS making company makes a uber chep device that gets password encoded and 64-bit encrypted to the ecu/computer chip with the vehicles VIN number registered on the device. whenever the driver speeds a set amount over the limit (the only data the GPS holds is speeding zones) a warning beep will sound once... twice... thrice... then their VIN number goes to a police database and out comes the fine.

who cares how long it will take to rid the land of old cars, it will definately work!

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Don't think it's impossible to change attitudes Ciel... for the most of us here, we're pretty much dead set on using seat belts- well at least in my experience, the friends who I travel with do... but then if you compare it to countries like America where people don't all wear seatbelts despite how much safer it is; or going one step further back where it's considered disrespectful to wear seatbelts (in Malaysia). All those stupid 'click clack front and back' advertisements from 20 years ago have started to bear fruit with our generation.

As for veterdandoggy's idea- somehow I doubt that'll happen but hypothetically it could work :)

CieL

HSC
Not impossible.. but to find a reason in which ALL people will definately change is hard

I was relating to the 120 limiter case

In which a physical barrier is much easier to apply than a psychological one

iamsickofyear12

HSC
If speed limiters are ever introduced on new cars I will never buy a new car again unless I am allowed to disable it. I will buy an old car and use the extra money it would of cost to buy a new one to fix it up.

In the future new cars are probably going to have speed limiters combined with GPS. I am definately not buying one of those unless you can turn it off. And there is this other technology that checks the following distance and has an alarm if you are too close. I'm not driving a car with that bullshit either, not unless you can turn it off.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)