Speed of electron in external magnetic field (1 Viewer)

conman

HSC
My question is just simple:
When an electron moves with particular speed into an external magnetic field. Is there a change in speed of an electron (before entering and after)?

shinji

Is in A State Of Trance
HSC
umm not that i know of.

all that changes is the direction that the electron travels due to electrons charge and the magnetic field.

conman

HSC
shinji said:
umm not that i know of.

all that changes is the direction that the electron travels due to electrons charge and the magnetic field.
But according to text book, when a charged particle moves into an external magnetic field will experience a force which causes it to change the direction
F=qvBsin theta.
So you said that there are no change except for the direction. Which one is correct (only change in direction or both direction&speed)

shinji

Is in A State Of Trance
HSC
from my understandin, the speed doesn't change.

the magnitude of the force is determined by the charge, velocity of the particle and the external magnetic field.

force only accounts for a change in direction of the particle.

But don't take my word for that, that's my understanding. You should get a second opinion~

conman

HSC
shinji said:
from my understandin, the speed doesn't change.

the magnitude of the force is determined by the charge, velocity of the particle and the external magnetic field.

force only accounts for a change in direction of the particle.

But don't take my word for that, that's my understanding. You should get a second opinion~
I think you are right. Force is determined by the charged and the velocity of the particle and magnitude of external magnetic field. It only changes the direction of the particle.

helper

HSC
N/A
Yep, the speed it constant but the direction changes, so the velocity changes and it is accelerating.

twilight1412

HSC
conman said:
My question is just simple:
When an electron moves with particular speed into an external magnetic field. Is there a change in speed of an electron (before entering and after)?

the answer to your question is that the velocity changes
velocity
1.change in speed(m/s)
2.change in direction
the speed remains constant but the electron is deflected and therefore the direction changes meaning the velocity changes

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)