Speed Reading and Writing (1 Viewer)

raceryt

HSC
Over the past few years, I have heard about the staggering number of pages one has to write in the English exams in the HSC. So far I’ve heard that one has to write at least 4 pages in the extended response and also many more pages in other humanities exam papers. Seeing as this is a large amount of text, how will you be able to write so much in that small space of time? Do you have any techniques to share that will improve the speed of our hand writing? I have been writing cursive for a long time, but only recently I tried writing print, discovering there isn’t much difference to the speed. So what do you think I should stick with as writing print improves legibility but is slightly slower than cursive, but cursive is slightly faster and less legibile?
Also, just out of curiosity, do any of you practice writing fast or practice speed reading techniques? I have read a few books on speed reading and have adopted some of the techniques, and have made some improvements to my reading speed.

Blue Suede

a bedroom philosopher
HSC
speed writing is all practice.

some suggest strengthening your hand muscles by taping batteries to the top of the pen/pencil you use every day, so when it comes to exams, take the batteries off, and it will feel much lighter and you'll be able to write significantly easier/faster.

or use a pen that's appropriate for speed writing, like a felt tip or gel pen that glides easily.

raceryt

HSC
man i never thought of that.. applying the techniques boxers use to improve their jabs to writing
wow. now that is appropriation

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Well writing 1200 words, 300 every 10 minutes shouldnt be too bad.

Overall, find a decent pen, I used a fountain pen last year, then I lost the damn thing, using it was the first time I managed to write about 1400 words :(

mioumiou

HSC
Well writing 1200 words, 300 every 10 minutes shouldnt be too bad.

Overall, find a decent pen, I used a fountain pen last year, then I lost the damn thing, using it was the first time I managed to write about 1400 words :(
That's what my English teacher said today, writing 1200 words within 40 minutes (with "perfect" answers). It's definitely something that should be practice over and over again. We did a little task today, our teacher told us that we've only got 2 minutes to write something/ anything about our related text, and I can write about 60+ words within 2 minutes. :p But I'm using a pencil, so I can write faster.

Choosing pens are important too. Don't use a "new" pen during you're assessment. Use a bit for a few days, practice with that pen. If you get use to it, you can write faster. :uhhuh:

mRJoJo

Spacebook
HSC
N/A
what pens do you guys use?

i use a fine pilot pen, but it's just not doing the job for me =/

any suggestions?

muzeikchun852

HSC
what pens do you guys use?

i use a fine pilot pen, but it's just not doing the job for me =/

any suggestions?
im using a brand called muji. is japanese..super cheap and super quality.

msY

HSC
Speed reading sounds like a very interesting topic. I herd that some people can read at 10,000 wpm and the guiness book of world records says that some guy called Howard Berg can read at almost 25,000 wpm which is about 80 pages a minute! They had him on the news reading some new Bill in america which was 1,400 pages! He understood the bill perfectly!

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
Just grab a good pen and start writing things down rather than typing everything :)

inedible

HSC
Anyone used Sharpie Pen? It's a bit expensive, $6 for two, but it's great, a felt tip that's not too inky when you write slow, but not too dry when you write fast. Apparently I'm the only one who thinks their good though o_O

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Well, the first step to speed writing is thus:

Neater is not better.

Once you have that in your system, it'll come easier to you.

johNNyboy772

HSC
write the first and last letter legibly

the middle part is just a random squiggly line

dot your i's and j's

that'll increase your writing speed by over 9000%, guaranteed ;)

NewiJapper

HSC
I'd say that 8 good quality pages in the HSC will gaurentee a Band 6. On average people can do around a page every six minutes. If you can cut this down to four you could write a whole two more pages of writing for each module!

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
I'd say that 8 good quality pages in the HSC will gaurentee a Band 6. On average people can do around a page every six minutes. If you can cut this down to four you could write a whole two more pages of writing for each module!
300 words every 10 minutes shouldnt be that hard, 1200 = good essay, on average i believe 1 HSC page = like 150 words???

Depends on size of writing too i think, so yeh 8 pages is good imo.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)