Spiral's Healthy Lifestyle Plan (1 Viewer)

Azure

Premium Member
HSC
Work out roughly how much calories your body needs to stay at its current weight via a calorie calculator

Consume 500 less calories per day
Do 30 minutes of exercise a day 4 days a week

Cut out bad food (you can still lose weight if your cals are low but stop eating them for health reasons)

Literally as simple as that.

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC
Reduce carbs as much as possible, including fruit and "wholegrains".

Eat no sugary foods or drinks, especially soft drinks, alcohol and fruit juices.

Eat 3 meals a day at most, based mainly on meat, fish, poultry, eggs & non-starchy vegetables.

This will naturally make you eat less because you will be way less hungry than usual.

If you want to exercise, shorter distances are better. Google 'interval training'.

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC
Literally as simple as that.
No, it's not. Consciously reducing food intake to lose weight is entirely unsustainable if you're still hungry.

When you don't eat carbs, your body uses stored fat for energy and so you don't need to eat as much.

Short, intensive exercise can help, but 30min or more just makes you hungrier, so either you eat more, or reducing food intake from original level becomes even harder.

Simply reducing calories is such a simple-minded approach to things. You need to look at why you're consuming too many calories to start with. The reason has to do with having insulin levels elevated above what nature ever really intended, and for longer. This is caused by eating too many carbohydrates.

TheGreatest99.95

Premium Member
HSC
No, it's not. Consciously reducing food intake to lose weight is entirely unsustainable if you're still hungry.

When you don't eat carbs, your body uses stored fat for energy and so you don't need to eat as much.

Short, intensive exercise can help, but 30min or more just makes you hungrier, so either you eat more, or reducing food intake from original level becomes even harder.

Simply reducing calories is such a simple-minded approach to things. You need to look at why you're consuming too many calories to start with. The reason has to do with having insulin levels elevated above what nature ever really intended, and for longer. This is caused by eating too many carbohydrates.
I agree with no carbs part but its an extreme change. Most people will stick to it for 2-3 days at best then binge eat. Losing weight is merely having a calorie deficit, regardless of its form (fats, carbs of protein).

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC
I agree with no carbs part but its an extreme change. Most people will stick to it for 2-3 days at best then binge eat. Losing weight is merely having a calorie deficit, regardless of its form (fats, carbs of protein).
Wow. So reducing certain foods is too hard and unsustainable.

But spending your whole life HUNGRY is entirely realistic, right?

Azure

Premium Member
HSC

That is assuming one is still hungry. It is relatively easy to counter hunger by increasing fiber intake and consuming whole (read: real) foods.

Throughout my teenage years I’ve always had an extra few kgs. Never “fat” or chubby, but I didn’t have abs or a perfectly flat stomach. A few years ago, I gained a lot of weight and invested a great deal of effort in getting rid of it. I lost approximately 13kg doing exactly what I posted above. No more, no less.

It is stupid to assume that there is a one size fits all approach to weight loss. If I wanted to trek into the city, I have a myriad of transportation methods at my disposal and I will obviously chose the one that is easiest for me. Somebody might get in via ferry, others might drive and others might jump on a train. Which method is best?

More to the point, personally, I fail to see how reducing carbohydrates to the extent that weight loss can be triggered, without worrying about caloric intake, is sustainable in the long term. I do not doubt it’s effectiveness in actually reducing fat storage, but I question whether it is a sustainable lifestyle decision for most people. In my opinion, most people quit their “diets” because they make decisions that they can’t adhere to in the long term. I couldn’t reduce carbs to that extent and stick to losing weight and I know a lot of people wouldn’t be able to do it either. If it’s working for you, then more power to you.

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
Good luck SPiralFlex.

Last edited:

TheGreatest99.95

Premium Member
HSC
That is assuming one is still hungry. It is relatively easy to counter hunger by increasing fiber intake and consuming whole (read: real) foods.

Throughout my teenage years I’ve always had an extra few kgs. Never “fat” or chubby, but I didn’t have abs or a perfectly flat stomach. A few years ago, I gained a lot of weight and invested a great deal of effort in getting rid of it. I lost approximately 13kg doing exactly what I posted above. No more, no less.

It is stupid to assume that there is a one size fits all approach to weight loss. If I wanted to trek into the city, I have a myriad of transportation methods at my disposal and I will obviously chose the one that is easiest for me. Somebody might get in via ferry, others might drive and others might jump on a train. Which method is best?

More to the point, personally, I fail to see how reducing carbohydrates to the extent that weight loss can be triggered, without worrying about caloric intake, is sustainable in the long term. I do not doubt it’s effectiveness in actually reducing fat storage, but I question whether it is a sustainable lifestyle decision for most people. In my opinion, most people quit their “diets” because they make decisions that they can’t adhere to in the long term. I couldn’t reduce carbs to that extent and stick to losing weight and I know a lot of people wouldn’t be able to do it either. If it’s working for you, then more power to you.
couldnt agree more

I forget the name but a doctor in biochemistry or dietetics did a diet that consisted mainly chocolate bars and snack bars but still maintained a caloric deficit, and guess what? he still lost weight. Im not saying do this diet but as long as food fits your macros (protein, carbs and fats) youll lose weight =D
Goodluck spi

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC
There is nothing "real" abou most "whole" foods. There's no such thing as an essential carbohydrate, so you might as well eat nutrionally dense foods instead of stuffing yourself full of nutrionally vaccuous fibre.

" It is stupid to assume that there is a one size fits all approach to weight loss. If I wanted to trek into the city, I have a myriad of transportation methods at my disposal and I will obviously chose the one that is easiest for me. Somebody might get in via ferry, others might drive and others might jump on a train. Which method is best?"

Except we all have the same basic biochemistry, and we all get overweight for the same reasons except for a few people.

If someone finds one way easier, then okay sure, whatever.

But carb-restriction is the most effective and healthy way of losing weight.

More to the point, personally, I fail to see how reducing carbohydrates to the extent that weight loss can be triggered, without worrying about caloric intake, is sustainable in the long term.
What does not worrying about caloric intake have to do with its sustainability?

I do not doubt it’s effectiveness in actually reducing fat storage, but I question whether it is a sustainable lifestyle decision for most people. In my opinion, most people quit their “diets” because they make decisions that they can’t adhere to in the long term. I couldn’t reduce carbs to that extent and stick to losing weight and I know a lot of people wouldn’t be able to do it either. If it’s working for you, then more power to you.
It's more sustainable than being constantly hungry

marksgm

HSC
we can't just his lifestyle through a post. we must change his attitude
[youtube]U708pyoDxM4[/youtube]

Rohanco

HSC
Probably not helpful at all, but being broke has helped me eat healthier (quit my job early this year) I can no longer afford to spontaneously buy a packet of chips or what not whenever I feel like it. You could they limiting your food money when you go out. When I study sesh, these days I buy a packet of berries instead of a packet of lollies, and only limit myself to one created beverage.

SophxMusic

HSC
As silly as it sounds, you really don't need exercise to lose weight if you eat right.
It is about 10% of the weight loss.
One day a week have ONLY protein. So meat/eggs. Have 3 main meals, limit them to 150 grams of protein (not much, but protein keeps you full). You can have a protein snack up to every hour, but you MUST eat at least every 3 hours. For these snacks they must be all protein and be limited to 50 grams.
Monday is the easiest day to do it, as it keeps you in routine. The first week of the diet have 3 protein only days, to stop cravings. Carbs are the reason for cravings. I am the worst person for eating / junk food binging, but after 3 days of protein I had NO cravings.
On every other day you can have either unlimited salad or unlimited veggies with the 150g of protein, but NOT on the protein only day. Try avoiding fruit (high sugar content), however for breakfast you can choose to have either a piece of fruit or a piece of toast. I usually have 150g of bacon and eggs with a slice of toast.
And one day a week (sunday for me) you can have a free day. Try to stick to your protein snacks, but main meals can be whatever you want :) Just don't go completely nuts and snack on crap all day. Just make sure that your protein only day is the day after your free day, it balances out all the carbs/sugar you have through the free day.
It sounds complicated, but as long as you stick to your 150g of protein and 50g snacks, and drink diet soft drink, it DOES work.
I was 60 kilos, went on this diet for 4 weeks and got down to 50kg. I stuck to this diet rigourously though. And just as a side note, i did NO exercise. The diet book actually recommends you diet for a month at least before you start exercising.
Protein is easy though. For snacks you can have things like kebabs, sausages, pieces of roast chicken, leftover roasts etc, bacon, eggs.
Its not a bad diet, you always feel full and it's decent food.
Good Luck :)

aceer

HSC
any advice for people trying to put on weight? lol

Blue Suede

a bedroom philosopher
HSC
I'm the same height as you and about 25kgs lighter.

Moderate exercise 3-4 times a week, or if you're busy and don't have the time to exercise, try and build it into your day, like getting off the bus a few stops earlier, taking the stairs whenever possible, stair exercises while watching tv, etc. Eating better food is also important, but don't just eat less, make sure you're getting the required nutrience.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)