Sports & Rec club (1 Viewer)

_santa

HSC
Anyone here in a sports club or taking a rec course at uni? If you did, what would you say about the quality of the club/course? Do they assume you have prior experience?

I'm thinking about joining a martial arts club, is anyone here a member of one?

Thanks in advance^^

Last edited:

shinji

Is in A State Of Trance
HSC
Anyone here in a sports club or taking a rec course at uni? If you did, what would you say about the quality of the club/course? Do they assume you have prior experience?

I'm thinking about joining a martial arts club, is anyone here a member of one?

Thanks in advance^^
There's a wide range of martial arts clubs available at unsw.

Ranging from Judo, Karate, Kick boxing & Kendo.
Which one you prefer is dependant on what you expect to get out of it.

Kendo is more of a niche` budoart/sword art/martial art. It doesn't appeal to everyone because of the intense nature of this art and the fact that it's an actual loud art. I participate in this art and have been going strong for approximately a year. Albeit, i train @ USYD Kendo Club instead of the UNSW Kendo Club because of the training times and how long it'd take me to get back home (and also the fees are cheaper)

I'm sure that the clubs would be more than welcome to have you observe/participate in a class to see if that club is the one for you.

Sports UNSW martialarts

Link to the martial arts @ UNSW

shinji

Is in A State Of Trance
HSC
no ninjutsu? :(
Lol. Ninjutsu fails if the general public can find them ;o

Only those with awesomess powahs from the direct line of god are able to detect them and join their ranks to fend the earth of unknown enemies!

HSC
On a related note, are there any clubs which are about general exercise/fitness/strength training/etc as opposed to being based around a single sport or martial art?

I looked through the clubs list on the o-week wiki, but was surprised to find no such club =/

sunny

meh.
HSC
You might have better luck with the fitness courses run the the Lifestyle Centre, rather than sports clubs..

HSC
Fitness courses are not really fitness clubs though. Sort of like a chess school course instead of a club for chess players...or something.

I am intruiged nobody has started such a club.

sunny

meh.
HSC
Its not just a matter of starting a club though. Theres a list of requirements before a "sport" club can be started at Sport and Rec.

HSC
Its not just a matter of starting a club though. Theres a list of requirements before a "sport" club can be started at Sport and Rec.
Well that's just the thing, I'm not talking about a sport club. Is there some requirement for clubs centred around exercise which says they can't operate like normal clubs and have different procedures or something?

sunny

meh.
HSC
Well that's just the thing, I'm not talking about a sport club. Is there some requirement for clubs centred around exercise which says they can't operate like normal clubs and have different procedures or something?
You have no idea how much red tape there is running a club. Sport and Rec only has sport clubs. The recent merger of the gym and the SA has only been, in my opinion, backwards for sport at UNSW.

HSC
Fair enough.

But would it not be possible for someone to start a club along the lines of what I am describing, which is seperate from the Sport and Rec entity?

Also, what is 'SA'?

sunny

meh.
HSC
Fair enough.

But would it not be possible for someone to start a club along the lines of what I am describing, which is seperate from the Sport and Rec entity?

Also, what is 'SA'?
I guess they could try, I doubt it would get anywhere though.

SA = Sports Association. What sport at UNSW was before the gym and the SA merged.

HSC
I guess they could try, I doubt it would get anywhere though.

SA = Sports Association. What sport at UNSW was before the gym and the SA merged.
What would be working against them? Is there some kind of a situation where the Gym/Sports and Rec want to monopolise all such matters?

sunny

meh.
HSC
There isn't competition like you're thinking of. Sport and Rec is the uni's body on sport/recreation. Theres a set of guidelines on what consititutes as a sports club. Ok, so you're not talking about a sports club, so the chances you're going to get Sport and Rec listening is about 0.

If you ask me, the new management is a lot more business oriented, and the club/social side of the uni is being lost because of it.

HSC
There isn't competition like you're thinking of. Sport and Rec is the uni's body on sport/recreation. Theres a set of guidelines on what consititutes as a sports club. Ok, so you're not talking about a sports club, so the chances you're going to get Sport and Rec listening is about 0.
So...is that a good thing or a bad thing? :p

If you ask me, the new management is a lot more business oriented, and the club/social side of the uni is being lost because of it.
That seems to be the prevailing doctrine of our university :mad:

simon2004

Arc Members can totally start their own Club - it can be sport related - for instance a general fitness Club could work.

There is already a chess club, but no fishing club. You need just 2 other Arc members to start it.

MJ-47

HSC
awww man a fishing society would be Awesome!

i reckon alot of ppl would get into it if it existed

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)