Squeegee men, your days are numbered! (1 Viewer)

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
www.smh.com.au said:
SQUEEGEE men and bill posters beware - you could soon be fined.

In an internal notice, police officers have been encouraged to issue fines of up to $400 for washing car windscreens at intersections or putting up posters on power poles.

But NSW Police Commissioner Andrew Scipione, who is championing the initiative, said it is not a revenue raising exercise, instead insisting it is what the community wants to feel safe.

He does not expect his officers to drop everything else but Mr Scipione wants them "to know what their powers are" in case they come across such crimes. "They are clearly crimes," he said. "While they might not be the biggest [issues] they are often the most important when it comes to the community."

Mr Scipione said he ranked this with other "quality of life issues" such as noise, car hoons and alcohol-related crime. People being approached in their cars at intersections or walking through streets "just covered" in posters may feel like they are in a dangerous situation, he said. So the crackdown is about "making people feel like they are being looked after".

Bureau of Crime Statistics and Research director Don Weatherburn said while people often express a great deal of concern about minor crime such as vandalism and graffiti, there is little evidence that cracking down on it reduces serious crimes.

Mr Scipione's initiative comes as the City of Sydney Council has announced it will start fining bill posters from tomorrow, targeting mainly large entertainment venues, who have been warned to stop the practice. They could face council fines of up to $1500 for a corporation and $750 for an individual.

Bill posters wash into stormwater drains and damage the environment, said a council spokesman. In the past four years, the council has paid $6million to remove hundreds of thousands of posters from poles, hoardings and signs. Council of Civil Liberties president Cameron Murphy sees the clampdown on bill posters as a restriction of freedom of speech.

He said: "Do you really want to live in a community where we are fined, bankrupted or arrested for putting up posters without having cleared it with council or the police commissioner or another person in authority first?"

Mr Murphy cited the proposed powers against demonstrators during APEC and the raid on Bill Henson's exhibition as examples of "a pattern" of police initiatives. It was the role of the police commissioner to ensure tolerance of different views to build relationships with community groups, he said.

In a recent Police Gazette, Deputy Commissioner Dave Owens reminded officers of the "value of issuing infringement notices" that can be issued as on-the-spot fines under the NSW Protection of the Environment Operations Act.

People washing windscreens at intersections face a maximum fine of $53 while those who put up bill posters can be fined $200, with corporations facing a fine of up to $400.
Hahaha. Too far. GG State Police and Sydney City Council. Now I'll be able to walk peacefully down the streets of Redfern without those pesky posters and whatever. :hammer:

http://www.smh.com.au/news/national...ys-are-numbered/2008/11/08/1225561201532.html

HSC
Good ridence really. There are a lot of people who are coerced or guilt tripped into accepting those services, and on public roads it is a nuisance.

Pace_T

HSC
Nebuchanezzar said:
Hahaha. Too far. GG State Police and Sydney City Council. Now I'll be able to walk peacefully down the streets of Redfern without those pesky posters and whatever. :hammer:

http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/squeegee-men-your-days-are-numbered/2008/11/08/1225561201532.html
ok dickhead. i for one dont like those dirty bastards coming up to me at an intersection trying to wash my windscreen. i also hate those posters being put up on poles. they look disgusting. these things shouldve been banned ages ago.

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
Yeah those windowshers should fuck off.

Centrelink gives you like $300 a fortnight just pretend youre looking for a job.

chicky_pie

POTATO HEAD ROXON
HSC
Thank god, I hate those junkies coming towards us when the lights are red asking us whether we want our cars' window screen cleaned, I'm thinking 'oh god no - go go, bloody green bloody green light!!!'

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
Instead of wasting time and money prosecuting bums and politically active younguns, they could be hunting down pedos like Bill Henson.

Trefoil

One day...
HSC
N/A
What a waste of police resources. Although it seems more of a scare tactic than anything.

I find it a little dangerous that police are deciding to criminalise putting up a bill poster.

SnowFox

Premium Member
HSC
yeaaa boiiiiiiiiiii
Call for ban agaisnt this idiot.

Its a scare tactic, they said they were going to inforce curfews but my freind has been picked up 5 times and every time they let him off.

SashatheMan

StudyforEver
HSC
N/A
Thank god, I hate those junkies coming towards us when the lights are red asking us whether we want our cars' window screen cleaned, I'm thinking 'oh god no - go go, bloody green bloody green light!!!'
They don't ask if you want our car 'cleaned' they just squirt that brown water from a bottle on your car and start squeeging, then ask for money.

SashatheMan

StudyforEver
HSC
N/A
Has anyone noticed the guy cleaning on the way to the UTS tower building, next to the coop bookshop. That guy is filthy.

gcchick

Come at me bro
HSC
Uni Grad
Bill posters are currently banned on the Goldy, there's signs everywhere near Pacific Fair warning of a $400 fine.

It's ridiculous.

Russdog

russell
HSC
how will i find out about raves and electro dressup nights at clubs and japanese import model appearances at clubs without pole-posters?

m00

HSC
Has anyone noticed the guy cleaning on the way to the UTS tower building, next to the coop bookshop. That guy is filthy.

YES.
he must earn a lot of money though, those traffic lights are red for hoursss

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)