SRC Elections 2005 (4 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ujuphleg

oo-joo-fleg
HSC
absolution* said:
As she is not running running for SRC (and thus open to attack), why the is ujuphleg a moderator? She's rarely online and doesnt seem to be particularly intelligent.
Wouldn't the fact that I'm NOT running for SRC mean that I can be impartial?

I'm online more than you think I am.

As for intelligence - you haven't met me, you don't know me, so don't pass judgement until you have.

jellybeenz

HSC
Just thought I'd point out in regards to "liberal" and "Liberal", I wasn't trying to offend anyone or anything-- just considering that some people don't realise there is a difference, I felt the need to point it out. I'm not implying that people here don't know the difference just that following this thread would be difficult if you werent aware of the difference.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
melbournian said:
I know a lot of lefties who read Quadrant.
And you'd know a lot more who read Honi Soit/GLW/see the SRC's posters/pamphlets/t-shirts was my point.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
gerhard said:
your argument is circular, waf.
Perhaps if some real criticism were offered which actually attacked my argument rather than drawing implications that didn't exist I wouldn't have to keep repeating myself.

gerhard

HSC
actually i think its grk_styl arguement i was talking about not wafs, i cant remember

Arguing that there are more left wing students because it is trendy is circular and thus fallacious.

The argument is

students are impressionable/ will follow the majority without thinking for themselves
there are more left wing students then right wing

you are trying to argue that there are more left wing students than right wing, but you've accepted that as a truth in your premises. its fallacious and wrong.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Thank god i dont go to the political hotpot that is USyd, the politics of this place sounds ... well childish to say the least. (Great work everyone, you'll fit right into Canberra/State Govt)

absolution*

ymyum
HSC
I think waf is the only one being childish, everyone else is just trying to prove it.

grk_styl

is hating uni & study
on the dance floor with a bottle of tequila
HSC
grr now im frustrated!!

wikiwki said:
No, you blatantly censored this thread to protect a BOS moderator who was making idiotic and incensed statements.
I attacked a bunch of uni students who follow Labor just coz "it's cool", and i could name a few right now.

i NEVER attacked YOU!
you, in-turn, attacked ME! now i don't see the logic in that.

i said previously, if you are not in that bunch of people, then why the fuck do u care what i said? im attacking the bunch of people who follow Labor "coz it's cool". it seems like you're just picking an argument for the sake of it.

gerhard said:
actually i think its grk_styl arguement i was talking about not wafs, i cant remember

Arguing that there are more left wing students because it is trendy is circular and thus fallacious.

The argument is

students are impressionable/ will follow the majority without thinking for themselves
there are more left wing students then right wing

you are trying to argue that there are more left wing students than right wing, but you've accepted that as a truth in your premises. its fallacious and wrong.
actually, what my argument was, was everything that I KEEP REPEATING. and im SICK of repeating it.

you seem to believe that EVERY Labor-following-student at usyd is following Labor coz they believe in their policies. that's not the case luv. like ive said millions of times, i know people who follow Labor just coz it's cool and they have NFI about their policies.

i KNOW that there are more Labor following students. ive accepted that - its gonna happen whether i like it or not. but im just saying, and it should in NO WAY offend you (unless you're one of them) that SOME Labor-following-students are only following the Labor party coz they think its cool.

i feel like im a broken record.

absolution*

ymyum
HSC
grk_styl said:
grr now im frustrated!!

actually, what my argument was, was everything that I KEEP REPEATING. and im SICK of repeating it.

you seem to believe that EVERY Labor-following-student at usyd is following Labor coz they believe in their policies. that's not the case luv. like ive said millions of times, i know people who follow Labor just coz it's cool and they have NFI about their policies.

i KNOW that there are more Labor following students. ive accepted that - its gonna happen whether i like it or not. but im just saying, and it should in NO WAY offend you (unless you're one of them) that SOME Labor-following-students are only following the Labor party coz they think its cool.

i feel like im a broken record.
perhaps the questioning has come about as your reasoning is not only implausible but shows an unhealthy arrogance, insofar as, you are asserting that university students cannot make up their minds on political issues. seems to be the same argument waf was arguing. so is it your sole reasoning to maintain a right-wing position that you dont want to fall into the same leftist-populist Labor supporting faction of the university because that will in turn make you look like a sheep. Or do you really beleive in Liberal policies?

<3 abs.

gerhard

HSC
youve changed your argument here.

originally you said the majority of left wing students have no idea about policies. now you are saying some left wing students have no idea about policies. if youve decided to take the second argument, then yes, it is not fallacious.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
grk_styl said:
I attacked a bunch of uni students who follow Labor just coz "it's cool", and i could name a few right now.
So you're saying people support political parties because "it's cool"? We're not in the year eight phase where we supported the greens because it was perceived as the cool thing to do.
We are mature individuals who do mostly know what they're talking about.
Since when is being a Labor follower cool? Don't get me wrong, Kim Beazley is a pretty fly homie-G, but I still fail to fathom what's so cool about the Labor party?

A lot of people will follow the flock (like grk_style) - their friends' political decisions, their parents' and more importantly their communities'. I live at Edgecliff. You can't spell Edgecliff without Liberal and Malcolm Turnbull. In fact, a chick in my marketing group is his daughter. Is it surprising that rich suburbs tend to have many liberal supporters? Hell, i don't mind getting another tax break at the expense of those poorer than me (note: i'd actually be against tax breaks for rich people).

Generator

HSC
N/A
absolution* said:
Or do you really beleive in Liberal policies?
I too would like to see an answer to the above, because from what I can gather, your stance with regards to the Liberal Party, grk_styl, is even more mindless than that of the 'many' students who follow the ALP in the belief that it's the 'cool' thing to do.

Asylum, if we could all be as mature as you, the world would be a better place.

Last edited:

stazi

Nightman
HSC
Generator said:
I too would like to see an answer to the above, because from what I can gather, your stance with regards to the Liberal Party, grk_styl, is even more mindless than that of the 'many' students who follow the ALP in the belief that it's the 'cool' thing to do.

The only real policy i have really seen her mention is VSU.
I'd be interested to know if she's even aware of anything apart from this policy.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Generator said:

It would wouldnt it, i mean, how wonderful a world that would be

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Haha, yes of course, ive got the biggest fucking ego on here don't ya know.

grk_styl

is hating uni & study
HSC
stazi said:
So you're saying people support political parties because "it's cool"? We're not in the year eight phase where we supported the greens because it was perceived as the cool thing to do.
We are mature individuals who do mostly know what they're talking about.
Since when is being a Labor follower cool? Don't get me wrong, Kim Beazley is a pretty fly homie-G, but I still fail to fathom what's so cool about the Labor party?
believe it or not my dear friend, some people do support political parties because they're fitting in with the majority. if you, yourself, have not come into contact with these sort of people, then count yourself lucky.

absolution* said:
perhaps the questioning has come about as your reasoning is not only implausible but shows an unhealthy arrogance, insofar as, you are asserting that university students cannot make up their minds on political issues. Or do you really beleive in Liberal policies?
im not saying that at all. i know that plenty of university students can make up their own mind about political issues, and at our age, im glad that they do. im just trying to say that there are people who do choose a particular party just to follow the crowd. if you don't believe that this is true, then fine, im not going to argue.

and for the record, yes I do believe in Liberal policies. i may have not mentioned any or taken a stance on any debates on here, coz i've never felt the need to argue about politics with people. i have my views, you have your views, lets continue living a happy life.

edit: generator, ive never shown my stance on why i follow the Liberal party, so i don't see how it's mindless

stazi

Nightman
HSC
grk_styl said:
believe it or not my dear friend, some people do support political parties because they're fitting in with the majority.
Ah, yes. The majority. Offcourse, the howard government didn't secure the majority of seats in upper/lower houses. Offcourse, the majority people didn't vote for them but actually voted for Labor.

and for the record, yes I do believe in Liberal policies. i may have not mentioned any or taken a stance on any debates on here, coz i've never felt the need to argue about politics with people. i have my views, you have your views, lets continue living a happy life
What do you think about the new anti-terror policies. Or, actually, take a pick of any policy that Howard has made. What is your favourite one?

grk_styl

is hating uni & study
HSC
this is why i don't discuss politics. you aren't going to agree with me. i'm not going to agree with you. and we're going to keep going in a circular motion of arguing.

shit happens ok...not everyone is going to follow the same political party.

and by "majority", i meant "majority of usyd students"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 4)