• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

SRC Elections 2005 (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

erawamai

Retired. Gone fishing.
HSC
absolution* said:
Labelling quah as homophobic for calling someone a faggot, knowing full and well the modern connatations of the word which do not imply homosexuality.
"faggot" ( P )
n. Offensive Slang

Used as a disparaging term for a homosexual man.

?

------------

http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=...lla:en-US:official&oi=defmore&q=define:faggot

-----------

abs said:
Get a life. He wasnt being derogatory. ]/quote]

What does it mean then? What does it imply and why is it insulting? I'm sure you cannot deny that it is derogatory.

Last edited:

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
There's a difference between a homosexual man, and one that reiterates that homosexuality again and again to push a political agenda. The first is a gay person. The second is a "Faggot".

Example:
Peter Aoun (who's featured in a number of my election videos) is a gay man. He Acts like a stereotypical gay person in many respects, and he's one of the coolest people I know. He doesn't demand more because he's gay, he just expects, and receives the same as everybody else. I would NEVER call him a faggot, I would call him my classmate and friend.

Nick Wood, on the other hand, has built campaign after campaign upon the idea that because he's gay, he's at a disadvantage and that by not voting for him, we're opposing gay people. Therefore, I WOULD call Prick Wood a faggot. Do you see the difference?

absolution*

ymyum
HSC
erawamai said:
What does it mean then? What does it apply and why is it insulting? I'm sure you cannot deny that it is derogatory.
I have no idea why im standing up for quah, but taking the politically correct definiton on a forum such as this message board seems fairly irrational. I know that you know this.

erawamai

Retired. Gone fishing.
HSC
Phanatical said:
There's a difference between a homosexual man, and one that reiterates that homosexuality again and again to push a political agenda. The first is a gay person. The second is a "Faggot".

Example:
Peter Aoun (who's featured in a number of my election videos) is a gay man. He Acts like a stereotypical gay person in many respects, and he's one of the coolest people I know. He doesn't demand more because he's gay, he just expects, and receives the same as everybody else. I would NEVER call him a faggot, I would call him my classmate and friend.

Nick Wood, on the other hand, has built campaign after campaign upon the idea that because he's gay, he's at a disadvantage and that by not voting for him, we're opposing gay people. Therefore, I WOULD call Prick Wood a faggot. Do you see the difference?
The point is that it is a derogatory statement based on a persons sexuality.

Your argument can be used to justify calling someone a 'nigger'.

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
In response to a post earlier, on whether I'll stand again, this is my official position at the moment:

If, in one year, the SRC is still corrupt, and still in a position to exploit students (no VSU), then I will run again, or I will support a younger, more attractive independent candidate for the job. If the SRC is no longer in a position to exploit students, then I will Consider it, in an attempt to save it from its own bullshit and make it relevant to students once again. And if I feel that the SRC can no longer serve students, but we are not in a VSU environment, I will most likely advocate the idea of breaking the SRC into faculty-sized units, and delegate welfare services through the University itself.

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
Techie, you're an idiot and you should actually read those flyers you were handing out.

Plebeian

brogan77 said:
Will it ever be possible to break the Left's iron grip of USYD politics? :(
Not until the Federal Right stops attacking higher education.

Also, Quah, I don't think I've seen a single mention of anything to do with Queer issues in Nick Wood's campaign. To make out like it was some sort of lynchpin to his campaign is a blatant misrepresentation. Commiserations, it is clear you want to make a difference to the SRC. But losing doesn't give you an excuse to present falsities.

Last edited by a moderator:

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
Techie said:
Not until the Federal Right stops attacking higher education.

Also, Quah, I don't think I've seen a single mention of anything to do with Queer issues in Nick Wood's campaign. To make out like it was some sort of lynchpin to his campaign is a blatant misrepresentation. Commiserations, it is clear you want to make a difference to the SRC. But losing doesn't give you an excuse to present falsities.
As I said, you're an idiot, and you should actually look at your own party's propaganda. I've heard several of Nick Wood's lecture bashes, and a LOT of Action-student interaction, and it's been built upon the idea that ACTION will fight homophobia and stuff because Woody is a homosexual.

transcendent

HSC
N/A
I don't get the whole campaign against discrimination thing. It's seems like victimisation. Is anyone actually being discriminated against?

grk_styl

is hating uni & study
on the dance floor with a bottle of tequila
HSC
melbournian said:
Anyone heard Keep Left's result?
hopefully they all walked on to Parramatta Road and got hit by oncoming traffic.

phanatical, take faith in the fact that people did vote for you, and that no matter what, the labor will always head the srcs (fortunately or unfortunately, take your pick). heads up and good luck!

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
I've seen more than enough of it, as have most students. When I use the "I'm Chinese, so Vote for me" line, I use it ONLY in context of criticising other candidates for using their perceived disadvantages to their electoral advantage. For example, the "If you don't vote for Quah, you're a RACIST" poster described how our representatives continue to use their statuses for political gain, and the point is abundantly clear on said posters that I am not the Sensible Choice because I'm Chinese, but because my policies are the strongest.

Plebeian

Phanatical said:
Techie, you're an idiot and you should actually read those flyers you were handing out.
Here, I will quote it in its entirety:

The Pamphlet said:
Our SRC must continue to be an effective voice for students on university boards and committees, and must not be afraid to take Action where the concerns of students are ignored. We believe that the SRC should take ACTION to fight for all groups in society who suffer injustice, exploitation and discrimination. The SRC should continue to be a representative student voice that speaks clearly and rationally, fighting for accessable [sic] education and progressive social change. Our universites are more than just lecture theatres and libraries, that's why its time for ACTION!
Perhaps not a literary masterpiece, but I seek in vain to find the OMG I AM QUEER VOTE FOR ME. The main pillars of Nick's campaign have been fighting VSU, providing better representation, better learning conditions (smaller tutes and less ancillary course fees), and better income support. In any case, why is it that when someone else says "Vote for me because I'm a minority", it's some sort of immoral vote-grabbing exercise, but when you do it, it's all a bit of fun and/or a truthful social policy?

transcendent

HSC
N/A
Phanatical said:
I've seen more than enough of it, as have most students. When I use the "I'm Chinese, so Vote for me" line, I use it ONLY in context of criticising other candidates for using their perceived disadvantages to their electoral advantage. For example, the "If you don't vote for Quah, you're a RACIST" poster described how our representatives continue to use their statuses for political gain, and the point is abundantly clear on said posters that I am not the Sensible Choice because I'm Chinese, but because my policies are the strongest.
I've been avoiding main campus so I wouldn't have seen those posters. Even if it's a little ambiguous I doubt the majority of the student body would have picked up on it.

Plebeian

Phanatical said:
As I said, you're an idiot, and you should actually look at your own party's propaganda. I've heard several of Nick Wood's lecture bashes, and a LOT of Action-student interaction, and it's been built upon the idea that ACTION will fight homophobia and stuff because Woody is a homosexual.
In my last post, I outlined what I thought were the main points of the campaign. I have also heard several lecture-bashes by Nick or other Action people and none of them have mentioned homophobia. I can't give you a blanket guarantee that it wasn't brought up, but I haven't seen it in any campaign material, despite working on the campaign (and yes, I have read the leaflets) nor have I heard it in any speeches - so it can't have been the centrepoint of his campaign.

grk_styl

is hating uni & study
on the dance floor with a bottle of tequila
HSC
melbournian said:
So much hate.
What is with the world these days.
melbournian said:
your kidding?
The student population doesn't think so. Stop stop been so paternal and fark off.
omg its like i can smell the irony from here. :rolleyes:

im guessing you're a Keep Left supporter? or u just want to see a Left Union? (which was going to happen anyway)

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
You, of "I'm better than everybody else especially those who go to UWS because I go to the University of Sydney and I live in a prestigious College" fame? YOU voted for Keep Left?

erawamai

Retired. Gone fishing.
HSC
Phanatical said:
You, of "I'm better than everybody else especially those who go to UWS because I go to the University of Sydney and I live in a prestigious College" fame? YOU voted for Keep Left?
Come on...he is allowed a bit of contradiction. I mean you are firmly economic left but firmly conservative right.

transcendent

HSC
N/A
Hahaha the Keep Left candidates in my faculty were a hippy and a fuck ugly fashion disaster.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)