SRC Elections 2005 (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

gerhard

HSC
quah, your arrogance never ceases to amaze.

On an unrelated note, Im pretty sure someone running as an independent, with the right policies, and the right campaign strategies could win the presidency.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
People power is the single most important factor in student elections. If you want to win president you'd need the backing of some large society with a large percentage of people willing to help.

X

xeuyrawp

Phanatical said:
Perhaps it should. All of a sudden, the hygiene level among uni students would be exponentially higher.
Oh. Dear. God.

Can I add at this point that at least you HAVE debates and postings on BOS about your elections?

The Macq elections have been posponed and/or rigged. Not to mention that the election was recently declared in the window of the council window. Oh, wait, it's holidays! Noone sees the declaration, because the fucking office is out of the way, not to mention the actual notices were A4 sheets of paper with 12 sized font. Not withstanding that, candidates that get nominated have to attend a compulsary meeting these hols.

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
Student politicians are inherantly corrupt. I am well and truly of the belief that these people firstly need discipline, and secondly need to develop ethics. For most student politicians, both discipline and ethics are in incredibly short supply - and this is worrying since most ambitious young student politicians want to become ambitious real politicians.

is a roflcopter
HSC
so... you dont consider yourself in that category? and.... why not?

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
MoonlightSonata said:
Also, given your aesthetic challenges, it may not be surprising that you hate women, but is it really necessary to try and disguise it in those silly neutral language policy statements?
ouch! brent is flaming hard!!~ :cool:
Phanatical said:
For most student politicians, both discipline and ethics are in incredibly short supply - and this is worrying since most ambitious young student politicians want to become ambitious real politicians.
first, discipline and ethics is in short supply for politicians anyway... i need not give many examples to illustrate that. :rolleyes:

second, the ambitious young student politicians that i know don't want to be in real politics. the whore that is student politics is merely a stepping stone to higher things. :)

Last edited:

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
Newbie said:
so... you dont consider yourself in that category? and.... why not?
Because I am coming into this whole thing as an outsider. I don't seek to make our SRC militant like Keep Left or even the Labor Left, both of whom see violence as justifiable in certain cases. I seek to remove the politics from the SRC - which is the number 1 reason why both the Left and Right consider me dangerous - and to make the SRC an ethical organisation that does not fund cults to promote racism against Chinese on campus, or tells students to "fuck off".

For me, ethics and discipline are VERY important and I believe that this defines me from many other student politicians. I know that many of them have incredibly defined ethics, without the discipline, to the point where they believe that beating up a Liberal is justifiable (this particular belief is one promoted in particular by one Padraic Gibson). And many others have the discipline, but campaign without ethics, being more than happy to spread lies and monger hate.

absolution*

ymyum
HSC
Honestly quah, why do you still post on BOS spreading your pearls of wisdom. If youre confident in what your doing you shouldnt have to justify yourself to a bunch of over-confident, yuppy, pre-pubescent (stas) 1st yr's. Perhaps you are just trying to justify your stance for your own benefit and to prove to yourself that youre right, which is quite sad really, in a Mark Latham sort of way.

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
MoonlightSonata said:
Phanatical -
  • You are misogynistic
  • You show disdain to gays
  • You support communism
  • You are arrogant
  • You think all student politicians except you are corrupt
  • You put out melodramatic advertising that no one could take seriously
  • Your conservative values and attitude go against the overwhelming political left that dominates USYD politics.
Is it any wonder you lost? lol. I don't want to be too mean but come on, you must have known you had no chance.

Also, given your aesthetic challenges, it may not be surprising that you hate women, but is it really necessary to try and disguise it in those silly neutral language policy statements?
I don't hate women. I just don't believe they should have More opportunity than men in society - which is exactly where we're heading. And the fact is most women would agree with me - the Gender Issues and Equal Opportunity Officer policy was in fact co-written by my colleague Jo Gad. We wrote this policy because we feel that while women should not be disadvantaged in anything - they should not have an unfair advantage either because all that does is reinforce the idea that women aren't smart or savvy enough to get there themselves.

I don't hate gays either. In fact, about half of the RESOLVE council that convened for this election are gay-identifying. Their belief is that to give special treatment to gay people on campus is patronising and offensive to the idea that they are just normal people. I have the support of the gay students on campus because when I see gay students, all I see are students.

I don't think all student politicians are corrupt. I do, however, think they're misguided and have their priorities wrong. The fact that every political faction except mine is affiliated to a political party just illustrates the fact that for these people, student interests take a back seat to party interests.

My conservative beliefs define me. To pretend that I am other than I am just for votes is unethical and distasteful. If I cannot campaign honestly, then I frankly do not deserve the position I am running for.

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
absolution* said:
Honestly quah, why do you still post on BOS spreading your pearls of wisdom. If youre confident in what your doing you shouldnt have to justify yourself to a bunch of over-confident, yuppy, pre-pubescent (stas) 1st yr's. Perhaps you are just trying to justify your stance for your own benefit and to prove to yourself that youre right, which is quite sad really, in a Mark Latham sort of way.
If I can prove that I am right to the people here, I can prove I'm right to the people across the university. That said, I do of course feel a need to justify myself and to do as much as I can to challenge the lies and hate directed at me. I find it incredibly disheartening that across the campus, I am known as a VSU-supporting woman-basher who hates gay people and votes Liberal. My good name is being destroyed because of these lies. My name should be associated with ethics, discipline, insight, wisdom. NOT these hateful lies.

erawamai

Retired. Gone fishing.
HSC
Phanatical said:
I am known as a VSU-supporting woman-basher who hates gay people and votes Liberal. My good name is being destroyed because of these lies. My name should be associated with ethics, discipline, insight, wisdom. NOT these hateful lies.
You should be well aware that people can detect an undercurrent of women hating in much of what you write on the issue. Your suggestions may have merit however they are usually dripping with language that really shows you dont like women. OR at least your writing gives off that vibe. You don't write to please both parties. You are adversarial. You should be writing to convince as you are not the powerful party in the situation.

Last edited:

is a roflcopter
HSC
is it true that you tried to disband your own high schools SRC because they didnt elect you? or you tried to start an alternative SRC or something..?

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
Where the hell you getting this information from???

I was a member of an organisation called the Independent Students Party, founded by a group including myself, our then-school captain, our then-SRC President and several others including a man who later became school captain. A year later, I was elected its leader. This organisation was dedicated to dealing with a number of issues that students had raised concern about - including a number of safety concerns (specifically, significant structural damage in a number of overpass walkways, the lack of ventilation in change rooms meaning students were getting allergic reactions to the intense concentrations of chemicals in the air, and a number of other issues that I can't remember). It was our belief that we were doing the work the school SRC SHOULD have been doing, for while we were doing important work to improve the life of students and staff at our school, our SRC (who had abolished elections a number of years before due to low voter participation) was spending their time and money on doing fundraisers to essentially boost their CV's. My personal conflict with their leader lead to me in fact taking over the school SRC in what we still call a "coup d'etat", but was in reality a sit-in by sixty students at an SRC meeting demanding financial assistance for our work. We accomplished good things - we got those safety reforms passed, we fought against, and rid the school of a "blacklist" of students that was "supposed" to be confidentially passed around teachers of students the school had "Concern" for, and though we didn't bring in the uniform changes we had hoped for, we united the students in a way the SRC was envious about.

gerhard

HSC
quah, did you go to action and ask them to adopt your policies in return for recieving your votes?

Plebeian

Phanatical said:
Student politicians are inherantly corrupt.
Phanatical said:
I don't think all student politicians are corrupt.
I don't think you even know what you believe any more.

Phanatical said:
My name should be associated with ethics, discipline, insight, wisdom.
This quote actually made me laugh out loud. Maybe you should start a religion, Quah, so that the ordinary man may revere your profound knowledge and benevolence. Distribute your divine enlightenment in a tome that we may all benefit (maybe you could call it the Quah'ran :p).

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
gerhard said:
quah, did you go to action and ask them to adopt your policies in return for recieving your votes?
I did, as well as Keep Left. Ideologically, I fit much better with the Left than the Right, but the fact that the only kind reception I got (even before considering deals) was from Choice really reinforced the view that even though they're Liberals, they actually Do have student interests as their first priority. That's why we created the Resolve/Choice coalition - left wing and right wing working together to represent Students first.

Student politicians ARE inherantly corrupt. It is in our nature (even in mine) to be unethical and ruthless with electioneering. More than once I was tempted by the idea of doing unethical things to benefit my campaign - but my discipline reminded me that ethics Must come first. It is only with the discipline and ethics that I've mentioned previously that student politicians can overcome this corruption to fairly campaign.

is a roflcopter
HSC
have you ever lied before and during this election in order to get votes?

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
Phanatical said:
It is in our nature (even in mine) to be unethical and ruthless with electioneering. More than once I was tempted by the idea of doing unethical things to benefit my campaign - but my discipline reminded me that ethics Must come first. It is only with the discipline and ethics that I've mentioned previously that student politicians can overcome this corruption to fairly campaign.
you make yourself seem like so enlightened... :rolleyes:

man is inherently sinful... i managed to overcome such sin with discipline and ethics... restored my faith and goodname :rolleyes:

what a load of crock.

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
No. I've told the truth, even when I knew it would cost me votes. There are only two exceptions, and these were both satire, and qualified.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)