SRC Elections 2005 (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
Frigid said:
you make yourself seem like so enlightened... :rolleyes:

man is inherently sinful... i managed to overcome such sin with discipline and ethics... restored my faith and goodname :rolleyes:

what a load of crock.
Better than being a liar and proud of it.

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
Phanatical said:
i'm neither coz i realise trying to justify student politics for anything beyond the whore it is is futile and stupid.

erawamai

Retired. Gone fishing.
HSC
Phanatical said:
I think his point was that you could have at least expressed your high moral ground without sounding cliche.

gerhard

HSC
Phanatical said:
I did, as well as Keep Left. Ideologically, I fit much better with the Left than the Right, but the fact that the only kind reception I got (even before considering deals) was from Choice really reinforced the view that even though they're Liberals, they actually Do have student interests as their first priority. That's why we created the Resolve/Choice coalition - left wing and right wing working together to represent Students first.
To think that keep left and action would want to do a deal with a party that captured a whole 2% of the vote is pretty arrogant. Sure they were probably unfriendly to you, but to expect some sort of bargaining and cooperation is just ridiculous; we can see the student population do not support your views in any way whatsoever.

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
The 90+% of the student body who didn't bother voting in an election for an organisation they don't care about would support (at least in part) what I had to say.

The representatives from Keep Left asked me for a deal that wasn't acceptable. Instead of making concessions to my viewpoints, they basically told me that by supporting Karoline, we'd increase the chance of getting Action out. Which is true, and I was tempted. But a better offer was made.

In fact, RESOLVE continues to cooperate with all factions. At the moment, there is interest from both the Left and the Right on the RESOLVE "Student Health, Welfare and Wellness Officer" whose focus would be on health issues, lifestyle, nutrition and community within the university. If introduced, this would create a new avenue for the SRC to appeal directly to students, by working with the issues that really matter to students.

pigs_can_fly

earth girls aren't easy
HSC
Phanatical said:
The 90+% of the student body who didn't bother voting in an election for an organisation they don't care about would support (at least in part) what I had to say.
hehe, he sounds realli confident. i suggest we have a vote on the truthfulness of his statement :p

absolution*

ymyum
HSC
Phanatical said:
In fact, RESOLVE continues to cooperate with all factions.
Is that because they dont stand for anything or because they dont have enough power to do anything otherwise?

Plebeian

Phanatical said:
That presupposes your policies are actually solutions to whatever problems currently exist with student organisations, a position that many would not share. The fact that only Choice gave you a kind reception may indicate that both of you have equally skewed priorities as to what the student body wants. It takes a fair amount of arrogance to suggest that two parties which polled so lowly actually have all the answers. By this logic, the Greens and One Nation would be some of the most enlightened parties in the country.

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
Let's not forget that the election represented the viewpoints of only 10% of students, max. People do not participate in SRC elections because they don't see the point. They don't see the point because they don't care about who runs the SRC. They don't care about it because they don't have any intention of Using the SRC. And without that intention, there is Obviously no incentive to continue funding it. If they cared about the causes that the SRC promotes, they would vote. Most people don't care, so they don't vote.

The difference between the Greens, One Nation and RESOLVE is that in the SRC elections, people have the power NOT to vote. If all students had to vote, the result would be VERY different.
RESOLVE are committed to student interests. And if that means working with other factions to promote good policy, then that's what we'll do.

jellybeenz

HSC
How many people do you think would vote if voting in federal elections wasn't mandatory? Maybe not 10% but considerably lower than 100% and I wouldn't say that it is because the people don't care about the country that they live in and that we should get rid of government simply because people dont care enough to vote for it.

pigs_can_fly

earth girls aren't easy
HSC
does that mean that if NOLS had given u a good deal, u would've worked with them, even though that would mean working with Nick Wood, a 'KNOWN RACIST', as u like to call him?

why is it then, that u approached NOLS in the first place, looking to strike a deal?

jellybeenz

HSC
Yes... wouldnt that be somewhat unethical- well it would be comprimising your beliefs just to get more votes.

erawamai

Retired. Gone fishing.
HSC
jellybeenz said:
Yes... wouldnt that be somewhat unethical- well it would be comprimising your beliefs just to get more votes.
post 666

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Rose Jackson actually approached us a week or so before nominations to try and strike a deal, giving us 2 honi spots and 2 NUS delegates or something. We then declined because NOLS is the devil and they actually have something in their constitution saying they can't have dealings with the SULC.

melbournian

mexian expat
HSC
Whenever, Phanatical posts he reminds me of this guy

"Back in about 1999 there was this w*nker who campaigned for any and every election the University of Sydney could generate. The guy was decidedly to the right of politics and never got up. Even the Libs and Christian conservatives were nervous and embarrassed around him.

The climax was during a Union or SRC election (not sure which). He got wind of the SRC rag 'Honi Soit' doing a spoof of him. Stroke of political genius: he turns up at Fisher library at the crack of dawn in a ute, loads a large proportion of the Honi Soit print run in the back and drives off. It gets better, he dumps them in a pond not 800 meters away. With plenty of witnesses looking on. The guy was a nutcase.
http://www.crikey.com.au//////articles/2003/12/18-0003.html

melbournian

mexian expat
HSC
withoutaface said:
Rose Jackson actually approached us a week or so before nominations to try and strike a deal, giving us 2 honi spots and 2 NUS delegates or something. We then declined because NOLS is the devil and they actually have something in their constitution saying they can't have dealings with the SULC.
Well that was a bit stupid rejecting that offer.

pigs_can_fly

earth girls aren't easy
HSC
woah, she actually offered u guys two NUS spots? are u sure? cos thats a lot, given that she wouldn't offer unity any at all.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
melbournian said:
Well that was a bit stupid rejecting that offer.
The concern was based on both ethics and the likelyhood that they were telling the truth.

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
pigs_can_fly said:
does that mean that if NOLS had given u a good deal, u would've worked with them, even though that would mean working with Nick Wood, a 'KNOWN RACIST', as u like to call him?

why is it then, that u approached NOLS in the first place, looking to strike a deal?
I didn't approach NOLS, though I did discuss stuff with a couple of the outsiders from their faction. I did, however, approach Keep Left because even though they're wrong on a lot of issues, I sincerely believe that most of what they do is with the best of intentions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)